Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

My first mod (it's a big one!): The Brethren of the Coast
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MCSmarties
Powder Monkey

169 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: My first mod (it's a big one!): The Brethren of the Coast Reply with quote

I give you my first real mod:

MCSmarties's Brethren of the Coast Mod for Sid Meier's Pirates!

WHAT THE MOD DOES

This Modification changes the Dutch Civilization to the Brethren of the Coast (ie Pirates) "Nation".
Specifically, most "Dutch" elements are replaced with "Pirate" elements (the FPK pack contains a whopping 71 modified files!), such as:
  • Characters: Barmaid, bartender, daughters (6), governors (3), mayors (2), captains (8 ), captain of the guard, merchant and shipwright
  • Ship flags, pennants and sail emblems
  • Event, map and town flags
  • Decorations in the tavern and in the governor's mansion (can you identify the Brethren in the paintings?)
  • Stern decoration of the ships
  • Ship and Settlement names
  • Crew members and land army
  • The name "Dutch" is replaced with "Brotherhood"
    ("Brethren of the Coast" is too long and causes grammatical problems...)

WHERE TO GET THE MOD

I hope it can be added to the mod database but it may be a bit large for that (the zip file weighs 6.41MB).
Until then, you get it here! (Note: The link will die if there's no activity for more than a month)

INSTALLATION DIRECTIONS
  1. Copy the 'Brotherhood.fpk' file to your 'Custom' folder.
  2. Copy 'text.ini' to your 'Assets' folder.

To remove this Modification simply delete the files again.

POSSIBLE CONFLICTS

• Be aware that doing this will remove any text replacement mod that you currently have installed.
  • Also make sure you don't have ANY customized Dutch textures in your custom folder.

KNOWN FLAWS

• Some screens still have the name of the civilzation appear as 'Dutch'.
  • The Cities still look Dutch (ie house textures, roofs, etc. - there are just too many files to mod)
  • There is a slight decrease in texture quality on those textures that have been edited.
  • City names that appear above the cities and settlements while sailing are still in orange
  • Although I did modify the Dutch land army units, they still appear the same as in the unmodded game. Weird.
  • There are suddenly a lot more pirates cruising the Caribbean!
    Wait, is that a flaw? Smile

CREDITS

I would never have been able to put this mod together without the enormous amount of work that has been done before.
I have liberally used textures, sometimes as-is, from pre-existing mods.
Standing on the shoulders of giants and all that. Anyway, tons of Kudos to the modders that came before me!

Files that I have re-used come from the following mods (I hope this list is complete but I'm not 100% sure):
  • Elderp's Pirate's Theme Packs (not only did I re-use all the files, but these themes are what gave me the idea to completely replace the Dutch with the Brethren of the Coast)
  • Thoerr's Prussian Invasion (these files were the real starting point for this mod)
  • devguy's Plain Daughters
  • Loki's Bar Scenes
  • CaptRedde's Assorted Pyrates
  • Another_Russian's Condent Pennant
  • IrishJim's Ireland Mod (although I didn't directly reuse any files, it helped me figure out some things)
  • I don't know who made the sail emblem I'm using for the Brotherhood, but I love it!
    (if you'd rather use a different texture, name it ship_sail_emblem_lrg_dut.dds and put it in the 'Assets' folder)
  • Finally, several files are lifted directly from the game itself (usually "Pirate" files I renamed to their "Dutch" equivalent, sometimes also tweaking them a bit)

OK, OK, I know you want to see screenshots! Here you go:

Maps and swashbuckling

"Recruiter", town screen, one of the governors and one of the mayors

The bar scenes

Three of the six modded daughters

Now you can play the game as a true pirate from the beginning to the end, never helping a European nation! ARRRR!
Sailor
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: My first mod (it's a big one!): The Brethren of the Coas Reply with quote

MCSmarties wrote:
I hope it can be added to the mod database
Data base won't cooperate.
May be too large.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloading Now - will give it a try later - thanks.
MATT001
Powder Monkey

831 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, why not. Will download.

Didn't think this game was customisable enough to do much with, but this may restore my faith. I'll check it out.
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Mod sure looks sweeeet MCSmarties! Cool nice work

Although i rarely use Mods, i think i'll give your Mod a try.

Playing as a full-blood Pirate has always been a wish of mine, now that wish may become true Sailor
HatterasJack
Swabbie

624 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried out yer mod last night and I must say, hats off to 'e, matey! My only real complaint is the ballroom. There is so much stuff to try and check out, my first couple of trips around the dance floor were, shall we say, less than impressive. All the characters (bartender, maid, gov., etc) look pretty interesting and lots of great background touches. I wonder if you could incorporate the Captain Morgan rum crate mod for the taverns into a future(?) update?
What happens to the default game Pirate Havens, tho? Were they effected or did they remain the same? I'll have to set sail again and find out.
Great mod! Good job!

Remember lads, pillage first, THEN burn! Get it right this time, or I'll bring my boot to ye, by thunder!!
MCSmarties
Powder Monkey

169 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi HatterasJack,

Thanks for the review!

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by saying that the ballroom is "less than impressive". All I did was change the paintings (which are the same as in the governor's room) and the chair covers (which are also the same files as for the governor's room) - and obviously the daughter.

Are you saying I should try to mod the ballroom more? What would you like to see? Mind you I'm still learning about the whole modding thing...

I forgot about the Captain Morgan rum crates. I could definitely have incorporated them! If you want them, all you need to do is to add the modded DDS file to your customs folder.

I did not modify the pirate havens at all. In fact, you may be a bit dissappointed that they look so similar to the formerly Dutch areas since I "recycled" many of their textures! Rolling Eyes
MATT001
Powder Monkey

831 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not had a chance to play it yet (trying to finish up my latest character, who's going for 126 Fame) but I have a question about the screenshot where it says "January 1660: Brotherhood at War with Spain." Is it a problem with the screenshot, or with the mod, that the icon for the Brotherhood and Spain shows a peace treaty, not a War?

EDIT: For that matter, why is St. Eustatius referred to as "St. Kevin"?
MCSmarties
Powder Monkey

169 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL you got sharp eyes!

Yes indeed there is a problem with the states at war. That's because I used the PHTrainer before taking the screenshots - I was too lazy to sail all over the caribbean just to get the shots! Smile

I think what happened is that I changed the states at war (so I could show off the pirate flags...) and the flags changed without the log reflecting the change in nationality at war. Has nothing to do with my mod!

I saw that "St. Kevin" too but I have no idea where it comes from. I didn't touch the names of the cities, only the settlements Confused

Hmmm... I wonder if that's a bug in the original game that just appeared by chance. I mean, how carefully do you read the text upon arrival to a city, usually? I know I don't!
MATT001
Powder Monkey

831 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I mean, how carefully do you read the text upon arrival to a city, usually?

More than you'd think, actually, particularly on my first playthrough. I have...a unique way of playing games.

Thanks for your answer. It's not a criticism, just an observation. I'm looking forward to playing - I'm sure it will be much more thrilling than hunting down Lost Cities!
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCSmarties wrote:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by saying that the ballroom is "less than impressive".

I think HatterasJack was just saying that he was so busy looking at your mods in the ballroom that he was not able to pay close attention to his dance partner, which led to "less than impressive" dance performance on his part.

MCSmarties wrote:
I saw that "St. Kevin" too but I have no idea where it comes from. I didn't touch the names of the cities, only the settlements.

St. Kevin comes from Irish Jim's Ireland mod. Did you use his mod as a template? I think he might have edited the names of all three Dutch cities to make them more Irish.
HatterasJack
Swabbie

624 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, ya misunderstood me there. well, maybe I just wasn't clear enuff - let me reiterate..............

The ballroom is indeed most impressive. It's just that my charactor danced like he had way too much rum before the ball. This was due to the fact that I was trying to make out all the new pictures and furnishings as I twirled and spilled about the room like a drunken prom date.

If I may ask, where did you get (or rather "how did you get") those pictures? Most of them I've seen as historical illustrations and paintings (Such as Henry Morgan, Edward Teach and was that Black Sam Bellamy I saw in one?) and I was surprised and delighted to see them in the game. Not as a "cut-and-pasted" reproduction, but as, how do I say it, as a game image (is that right?). They look like they belong there instead of being pasted in.

I'm looking forward to exploring this mod further. I had actually inquired earlier in the year if there was just such a mod out there and found that one had begun to be put together years ago with much discussion and screenshots and all, and then just came to a screeching halt.

This is a fantastic work, if I may say so, and never feel that I am doubting or critisizing your modding abilities as I myself can't mod to save me life. I made my own flag and sails, but that's it. Not for lack of trying, they just don't work when I try them. I sometimes have trouble getting other's mods to work for me, too so I was a very happy pirate when yours did.

Keep up the good work and thanks for this one!

Remember lads, pillage first, THEN burn! Get it right this time, or I'll bring my boot to ye, by thunder!!
MCSmarties
Powder Monkey

169 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK peeps, there's a lot of stuff I need to answer Smile

MATT001 wrote:
Thanks for your answer. It's not a criticism, just an observation.

HatterasJack wrote:
This is a fantastic work, if I may say so, and never feel that I am doubting or critisizing your modding abilities...

First, I never thought for a second that either of you were critizing my mod. I just re-read my tongue-in-cheek answers and it just hit me that they could be read as me being slightly miffed. That's not at all the case! Besides, even if you had been critical there's nothing wrong with that either. So, no worries.
Very Happy

HatterasJack wrote:
The ballroom is indeed most impressive. It's just that my charactor danced like he had way too much rum before the ball. This was due to the fact that I was trying to make out all the new pictures and furnishings as I twirled and spilled about the room like a drunken prom date.

Oh, now I see! Well, I take that very kindly as a most handsome compliment.

HatterasJack wrote:
If I may ask, where did you get (or rather "how did you get") those pictures? Most of them I've seen as historical illustrations and paintings (Such as Henry Morgan, Edward Teach and was that Black Sam Bellamy I saw in one?) and I was surprised and delighted to see them in the game. Not as a "cut-and-pasted" reproduction, but as, how do I say it, as a game image (is that right?). They look like they belong there instead of being pasted in.

I didn't have a single source for these pictures, I just searched the web for those famous pirates until I found pictures I liked. Wikipedia was a good starting point, google images another one.

I was amazed myself how well those paintings blended in but in all honesty, the credit for that goes to Firaxis. There is simply a single file, d_br_paintings.dds, that holds all the paintings in the governor's mansion side-by-side. The framing etc. is done automatically in-game. Even the reflections on the ballroom floor match the customized paintings - an effect I didn't expect, nevermind plan, but that is really cool!

Roland wrote:
St. Kevin comes from Irish Jim's Ireland mod. Did you use his mod as a template? I think he might have edited the names of all three Dutch cities to make them more Irish.

Oops
I think you're dead on as I have indeed looked at Irish Jim's mod for help. I didn't think I had used any of his files, but maybe I messed up the text file holding all the location names. I'm going to look into it and then may have to post a fix for this mod. Sorry about that!

While I'm at it - please let me know if you find anything else that's not quite right, or if you have any ideas how I could improve that mod! Unfortunately I'm not artistically gifted - my mod uses almost only pre-existing templates I "borrowed" and images I pasted together. Even the customized daughters / captains / guards are only slightly modified pre-existing textures (often I just played with black levels and hue in Photoshop). Still, I'll see what I can do!

Finally, I have an idea for an (even) larger mod in the back of my head. One that I would definitely need some help with, though... stay tuned.

PS: The pirates in the file d_br_painting.dds I used are (top left to bottom right): Blackbeard (Edward Teach), Sir Henry Morgan, Captain (William) Kidd, Jean Lafitte, Calico Jack (John Rackham) with Anne Bonny at his feet (a nice if sexist touch...), and Black Bart (Bartholomew Roberts).
MCSmarties
Powder Monkey

169 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: About St. Kevin Reply with quote

About the "St. Kevin" - mea culpa, it was indeed a problem with my mod. I did use the text.ini file from Irish Jim's mod, and overlooked just one little change. Lucky that I used just the one affected city for my screenshot, or this mistake may have never been discovered!

To fix it, edit the text.ini file in my mod (the one you put in the Assets folder), search for "Kevin" and replace by "Eustatius". The line in question is # 1010. Sorry!
MATT001
Powder Monkey

831 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for fixing the problem - I must say I find it admirable that you're willing to do so. I used to play a lot of Freelancer mods whose modders would just have skipped over that as a minor error, but I think minor errors count for a lot - they remind you that what you're playing is third-party. So thanks for fixing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: