Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

changing battle text and flag
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Username
Powder Monkey

128 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:24 am    Post subject: changing battle text and flag Reply with quote

is there a mod that changes the battle text and the flag beside it? it doesn't change depending on whose flag you are flying, it always labels the player as a pirate. I have no issues with being labeled as a pirate as I bought the game to play as a pirate. I just find it annoying that the game does not acknowledge me as a privateer while flying a nations flag. I am aware I privateer is basically a legal pirate.
corsair91
Sailing Master

207845 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game does not really distinguish between Pirate or Privateer (legal pirate)
and is more based on the cutesy Movie Pirates rather than real life.

player text label as a pirate is probably hard coded in the Game executable, at a guess

Game only supports the display of a single flag
(no alternate flag feature) at any one time, which can be manually changed

\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Pirates!\Config.ini

[User Settings]
MyName =
CustomSail =
CustomFlag =

Put say Privateer in the name
i.e. MyName =PrivateerPete

On the main menu select "Change Your System Options"
and then "Modify Your Ship's Sails And Flags"
to set the flag or Sails emblem

Various Custom Sails & Flags Mods are available

Further Info
https://sidmeierspirates.fandom.com/wiki/Sid_Meier%27s_Pirates!_Wiki
https://sidmeierspirates.fandom.com/wiki/Naval_Combat

Strategy Guide (PC) by Sashanan
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/915017-sid-meiers-pirates/faqs/34143
Version: 1.6 | Updated: 05/18/2023

----------------------

False flag
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_flag

The term was famously used to describe a ruse in naval warfare whereby a vessel flew the flag of a neutral or enemy country in order to hide its true identity.

The tactic was originally used by pirates and privateers to deceive other ships into allowing them to move closer before attacking them.

It later was deemed an acceptable practice during naval warfare according to international maritime laws, provided the attacking vessel displayed its true flag once an attack had begun.

(Until the true flag was raised, the target ship had no idea
whether the attacker is a Pirate or Privateer.
Privateer would probably display an enemy national flag
for which they had a letter of marque.

Type of ship, ship name, paintwork or how sailed in real life,
may give a clue)

Last edited by corsair91 on Wed Jun 28, 2023 8:56 pm; edited 7 times in total
Username
Powder Monkey

128 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm flying a modded English flag but in the top left it still labels me as a pirate and still shows the black flag. I drought the mod would cause this as I don't remember it changes before. I'd like to fight for the English as a privateer
but it just does not feel right when the game is labeling me as a pirate because as far as the law is concerned i am not Committing piracy but instead fighting for the crown. I couldn't find any examples of privateers using a false flag, only pirates.

edit: I had an image included but it did not load
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Games gonna be messed up regardless anyway. Your fighting top ten Pirates from every era and even eras that don’t exist in the game in every single era which is totally unrealistic. Many sailing ships with incorrect names I know to fix that as I discovered how that works eon’s ago. Stede Bonnet had no business in the game as he had no seamanship skills. Privateers are those with a letter of Marque but are considered pirates by the other nations especially if they attack merchants. That’s another issue as in the Golden age of Piracy no letters of Marque were issued by any nation. Either you were a pirate to all or none. Buried treasures is what they look for on kids cartoons not in real life. I can go on and on but if your picky the game is really flawed. Sea dogs you have to ease up close to a ship without banging into it then toss a grappling hook before boarding a ship but SMP just ram him head first as hard as you can sail and poof your fighting Sea Dogs ships will come after you and it’s your job to not be grappled.
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14671 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta be a way to mod the .exe with the hex editor to show "privateer" instead of "pirate" in that circumstance, just gotta figure out which instance of the word "pirate" in the game code it is.

The flag should be easy enough too, just find the right pirate flag in the game assets and replace it with a similarly styled English flag with the same filename (back up the old one somewhere). Obviously this won't let you change nationalities on the fly in-game, but would work if you always sailed for, say, England
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably do a search for privateer might help locate it in the exe. I’ve no computer to help out so just a big mouth about all I have working at the moment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: