Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Wit and Charm
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like your mod. I like Coro I. Every game too.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like playing without the disk requirement

Last edited by Salty Dog on Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:05 am; edited 5 times in total
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleetp
Boatswain

36050 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty Dog wrote:

Thanks but I don't take credit for it, the no disk was done by somebody else, and I think it was Pirate who told me how to put Coro in every era.
Very respectfully,
fleetp
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in Idaho riding bicycles this week. I have been on a diet and riding bicycles every day the past 5 months. I have dropped 40 pounds and will keep doing what I am doing for another 11 months to lose another 50 pounds. Then I will be at a perfect weight. When I return home I want to use this game and will play Dutch. I have decided to play 1600 game, it should be radically different and a lot of fun.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are back from Idaho. I will start the game today. I expect it to be much different than the factory game. Using the new mod, the Dutch are far more powerful in 1600 so it should be a big change. This means I can go after the Spanish much more aggressively in 1600 using the new mod. Will let you all know how it goes.....
fleetp
Boatswain

36050 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you enjoy playing. I started a new game yesterday. This morning I captured a war canoe. I'll be using it as my flagship.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started the Dutch 1600 game and it is going well. I chose Wit and Charm. Nice having Santiago, Villa Hermosa and St. Augustine in my corner. France and England are both very small and you still have the problem of no support when you are in the Maracaibo/Cartagena area. So, I took over Rio de la Hacha and Made it an English City. That helps a bit.

As Dutch I started with the worst ship in the game - a Fluyt! I took over a Brig right away but did not see even a sloop for quite a while. Eventually the Spanish got mad and sent a Royal Sloop after me and that was nice and then I ran down a war canoe and now I'm all set! I have found two pieces of my first Relative map and have found a treasure. I got both fencing shirts from the Attractifve Daughters and a three string fiddle. I am Colonel with Dutch and French so I am looking to dance with the Beauties there. I am Major with the English. Things are going pretty good. All three nations have been at war with Spain, so the hunting is good.

When I first started a game, only two nations were at war with Spain so I quit and immediately started again. I want everybody mad at Spain. Makes promotions much easier.

Will post more later, back at it........
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My game is going well and I am having fun playing it. It helps with the Dutch Mod but does not really open the game up like I thought. Using Wit and Charm I was able to locate a Lost City quite quickly but have not found Monty's hideout any sooner. I have earned a lot of gold in this game, much more than normal, so I achieved immortality quite quickly.

So, I will continue like I always used to do before and go after Monty later in the game. This new mod helps but in the 1600 game you still have a huge section of the map with no non-Spanish cities (Puerto Bello to Trinidad). So I took over Rio de la Hacha early on and gave it to the English. Wish I had taken over two cities, Caracas would be another prime candidate but it is usually heavily defended. If I could start over again, I would build up a huge army right away at the start of the game and take over Caracas and Rio de la Hacha. Then I would cut the extra men loose and play as normal.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still grinding away. I have rescued all relatives now and found two lost cities. I also found Monty's hideout so I will knock off the remaining named pirates and then staff up a big army to take him on.

Getting old is TERRIBLE! When I fight against Monty now I only win about 60 percent of the time and have to reload the game at "Battle" to keep trying. And this is at Adventurer level! I used to be able to beat. him at Swash level but no more, my reflexes are too slow. Guess I will just press the #1 key down and hold it and hope I win.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always use grape shot to whittle down his crew before boarding. That's what I did the time I played at Swashbuckler. With a war canoe it takes a while, but you can easily dodge his return fire.

But, obviously, this tactic won't work when you attack him in his lair.
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally finished this game last night. Yes, the mod from fleetp with extra Dutch Cities is fun. Like I said, there is still a huge hole in logistics in the middle of the Spanish Main and if you are really going after the Spanish you will have to do a lot of sailing to get re-supplied.

I try to keep learning to keep improving my game play. As I play this game, I have picked up VERY important tips and incorporated them.

The most important tips I have gained that I now employ are:

Gun Pierson taught me to use a small boat (war canoe) to speed up the game
Roland has taught me to use Wit and Charm to quickly learn where Monty's Hideout and the Lost Cities are.
Bryce777 taught me that as soon as I know where Monty's Hideout I should Divide the Plunder and then raise a large Army to take over his hideout at a young age.
And finally, Rupert taught me how to gain immortality by going after gold early and often and keep my crew small. Once I have well over 1000 gold per crew member I am no longer forced to divide the plunder - I can do it when I want or wait until retiring.

Things I have learned myself -

The most exciting start to this game is to pick English, 1660. At the start as your ship is heading for Barbadow - turn around and head south. Since you have not yet visited a port you are unsinkable. Head to the Northeast corner of Trinidad and the Spanish Treasure Fleet will appear on Feb 1st. You should be able to take over one and sometimes I can take over two Treasure Galleons at the very start of the game. That makes me Captain of the English and Major with France and the Dutch if they are at war with Spain.

Now I know it is very worthwhile to have more friendly bases in the middle of the Spanish Main to sell goods and captured ships. So it is very smart to raise a large Army right at the start of the game and take over two Spanish cities somewhere between Caracas and Santa Marta.

So, putting all this together my next game will be 1660, English, Wit and Charm. I will immediately go after the Treasure Fleet, then visit Barbados, Martinique and Curacao to get promotions and build up a large army to take out two Spanish Cities and make one French and one English to go along with the Dutch city of Curacao. That will give me excellent logistics in this important part of the world.

I will keep you all posted as to how this works out.....
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started my new game this morning and the results were spectacular! I chose 1660, English, Wit and Charm, Adventurer. My ship appeared near St. Kitts and I turned around before entering. I checked the log book and sure enough, all three countries were at war with Spain! So I sailed sough to the Northeast corner of Trinidad.

On Feb 1st, FOUR Treasure Galleons appeared and I attacked with my Sloop and 41 crew. I can always take one of the Galleons and some times I can knock off two Galleons. This time, I dodged the cannons and boarded the Galleon. I took out my Rapier and carved the Captain up immediately, not losing a man. They surrendered and some of the enemy offered to join my crew. I accepted them and sank the Galleon, taking just some Goods. This now gave me 50 crew.

I attacked the second Galleon and did the same, boarded and cut up the Captain right away. I lost 2 men and a few of the enemy offered to join us. My crew was about 55 but I took over the new Galleon and had to put 24 crew on her to sail.

I now attacked a third Galleon and did the same, lost two crew and some of the enemy joined me, I saved the ship and put 24 sailors on it. I now only had 21 men left on my ship.

I decided to go after the fourth Galleon with only 21 men. It was close, they cut my crew down to only 7 left when I knocked the enemy captain overboard. 15 of his crew joined me. I took over this ship and had to sail away very under-staffed but I conquered ALL FOUR GALLEONS!

I sailed to Barbados and they promoted me to Major. I did the same at Martinique, made Major. Then I sailed up to St. Eustasias and made Major. I recruited crew at every port and sold as many goods as I could. On the way back I captured a Pirate Sloop and a Brig. Soon I sold all the goods I got from the Treasure Fleet and recruited over 200 men.

I sailed to Curacao and recruited more men, then I sailed down to Puerto Cabello and attacked the city via land. I took it over and gave it to the English, who promoted me to Colonel. Then I went after Raymondo and found a treasure. I recruited more men and attacked Coro by land, I took it over and gave it to the French and they made me a Colonel too.

I now have caught Raymondo twice and have made Admiral in one country and Colonel in two others. I have about 40K in gold, both shirts and both sets of swords and am on fire. My Pirate (always Gun Pierson!) is barely 20 years old. What an amazing start! Good fun. Will report more later, the idea of building up an army at the start and taking over two cities in the middle of the Spanish Main has worked great! I now have a great logistics system!!!
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14635 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a start. I kept sailing around the east coast of Trinidad when I was testing things and was so tempted by that fleet, I think I saw a 5-piece once
fleetp
Boatswain

36050 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salty,
Are you using the 'extra Dutch cities' executable file for this pay-through (I'm just curious)?
fleetp
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Hints and strategies All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: