Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

classic Pirates! on XP
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PorthosdPirate
Powder Monkey

393 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:07 am    Post subject: classic Pirates! on XP Reply with quote

My 486, not used for much other than Pirates! is dying a slow death and I doubt I will be able to bring it back to life the next time around. Crying or Very sad So I was wondering does anyone know of a way to get Pirates! running on Windows XP? Question

Thanks in Advance

Porthos!

I say boy, I'm no chicken -- Foghorn Leghorn
Hayreddin Barbarossa
Swabbie

610 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Try this... Reply with quote

-
Ahoy Porthos!

XP Pro (keep a hell distance away from Home) has been the only platform that I have played any Pirates! so far. I aint a veteran. Oops

Anyway, I'm talking about Gold and Gold for Win. Run the game in Win 95 compatibility mode with 256 colour and it will work like a charm! Very Happy

However, it will remain windowed. Isn't there any cure to have it fullscreen? There certainly is! Set up a "fake" user account with 800x600 desktop resolution and switch to it for Pirates! Then it will run in fullscreen.

Hth!
_

Hayreddin Barbarossa, proud member of the LIB
El Diablo
Cutthroat

218 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose, you additionally need some program to modify the speed?
Hayreddin Barbarossa
Swabbie

610 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Nope Reply with quote

-
Not in my case... Works OK with 95 compatibility.
_

El Diablo
Cutthroat

218 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must make a test with my Gold-Version for DOS in a free minute! Laughing
PorthosdPirate
Powder Monkey

393 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Try this... Reply with quote

Hayreddin Barbarossa wrote:
-
Ahoy Porthos!

XP Pro (keep a hell distance away from Home) has been the only platform that I have played any Pirates! so far. I aint a veteran. Oops

Anyway, I'm talking about Gold and Gold for Win. Run the game in Win 95 compatibility mode with 256 colour and it will work like a charm! Very Happy

However, it will remain windowed. Isn't there any cure to have it fullscreen? There certainly is! Set up a "fake" user account with 800x600 desktop resolution and switch to it for Pirates! Then it will run in fullscreen.

Hth!
_

AHHHhh that would be my downfall. I only have the DOS games. Time to start looking on Ebay and garage sales.

Thanks Mate!

Jeff_ATARI
Pirates! Official
Pirates! Official

1613 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: running Pirates Gold on a XP machine Reply with quote

El Diablo wrote:

Yup! I tried playing Pirates! Gold on my WinXP machine. Set it up for 256 colors and DOS emulation and all that. All went well until I got to the first ship battle -- it was over in half a second with a message that the other ship had escaped.

I think one needs a utility like Mo'Slo to get it to work -- haven't tried that yet. (I tried that to play a little Ultima 4 a few years ago and it worked perfectly... otherwise pressing "North" would take you halfway around the world in a second.)

More importantly, because of that, I don't currently see a way to release any of the original versions of Pirates with the game, as some people have been suggesting. The tech support cost would be enormous! Why spend resources trying to fix the old game when we should be working on the new one!

If anyone has success on Win XP (either Home or Prof) running Pirates Gold, I'd sure like to hear about it!

Best,
Jeff Foley
Atari
PorthosdPirate
Powder Monkey

393 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: running Pirates Gold on a XP machine Reply with quote

Jeff_ATARI wrote:
More importantly, because of that, I don't currently see a way to release any of the original versions of Pirates with the game, as some people have been suggesting. The tech support cost would be enormous! Why spend resources trying to fix the old game when we should be working on the new one!

No, no, no... You work on the new one. I got a friend at work that is looking for his copy of PGW for me to try out. I don't think I'll have too much of a problem since the XP machine I'm using is only a P3 550. Perfect for kids (and dads) older games.

Hayreddin Barbarossa
Swabbie

610 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Intermittent? Reply with quote

-
Hmm... The speed thing must be intermittent. I sort of remember crashing it once or twice but not as often. Usually, I'm the cursed one when it comes to several computer/internet troubles but in this case, I back my word. Wink

I'll reinstall the game and try if it causes any trouble and if it's possible to prevent it from happening...in a free minute. Wink
_

Hayreddin Barbarossa
Swabbie

610 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: running Pirates Gold on a XP machine Reply with quote

-
Jeff_ATARI wrote:
The tech support cost would be enormous!

Hmm... What happened to "...with no warranty, implied or implicit..."? Wink

I believe it can be released as a bonus with no warranty, no support et al. But still, your choice. Smile
_

El Diablo
Cutthroat

218 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: running Pirates Gold on a XP machine Reply with quote

Jeff_ATARI wrote:
El Diablo wrote:

Yup! I tried playing Pirates! Gold on my WinXP machine. Set it up for 256 colors and DOS emulation and all that. All went well until I got to the first ship battle -- it was over in half a second with a message that the other ship had escaped.

I think one needs a utility like Mo'Slo to get it to work -- haven't tried that yet. (I tried that to play a little Ultima 4 a few years ago and it worked perfectly... otherwise pressing "North" would take you halfway around the world in a second.)

If anyone has success on Win XP (either Home or Prof) running Pirates Gold, I'd sure like to hear about it!

Best,
Jeff Foley
Atari

well, only another "one creative" on your payroll... just thinking of one, waiting for a Beta of the new Pirates! Cool

0 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: running Pirates Gold on a XP machine Reply with quote

PorthosdPirate wrote:
No, no, no... You work on the new one. I got a friend at work that is looking for his copy of PGW for me to try out. I don't think I'll have too much of a problem since the XP machine I'm using is only a P3 550. Perfect for kids (and dads) older games.

Well I was right, my bud let me keep the game since I bought him lunch (lucky break me!) Anyhow, running on the old P3 550 with Windows XP I was able to do as above. Set the game to Windows 95 emulation, 256 colors and I'm selling the Spanish Main again! The opening screen is messed up but I know the menus enough not to worry about that! Speed is not an issue at all. So, dust off that old P2 and put it to some good use!

Ahoy!
El Diablo
Cutthroat

218 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guest,

would be nice, if you login here! Smile
Capt-JakBlak
Swabbie

193 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PorthosdPirate,
I have the same problem, but checking that little box under the login prompt will keep you from having to remember to login. Of course, it doesn't work when you hit the website from work, but it helped me out. Anyways, glad to hear that you got it working! I actually use an old P75 that runs DOS 5 to play Pirates!, I'm thinking of getting my C64 out of storage and finding my 5 1/4 floppy of Pirates!. Ahh, the good old days.

Ready>
PiratesFan
Rigger

23509 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats bad is my Tandy 100 hx had both the 5 1/4 and the 3 1/2 with 256k gaming memory Smile talk about top of the line when I bought it in 82 of course pating for upgrades was astronomical. Of course it still boots up... so thats saying a lot for old technology.
LOL
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: