Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Horrible late game AI/Barbados "walk on water" bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardacostas
Gunner

10056 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Horrible late game AI/Barbados "walk on water" bug Reply with quote

Are these two things moddable?

The Barbados "walk on water bug" is a bug that was never patched - it prevents a land attack on the (very rich) city of Barbados.

And I'm sure everyone can agree late game AI is atrocious. No pirate hunters, no invasion fleets, few wars. Settlements don't produce much ie settlers or new governors, payroll couriers etc.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about that bug. I know there are some cities who you can't walk to because the land is so small that you always end up trying to get in from sea. I have sacked every city there is to be sacked though. Fire at the fort or sinks some Englishmen and you'll be able to sack it for sure. Not sure either what you mean by late game AI. pirate hunters are more in the 1680 era which is my favorite. The Spanish are still dominate but losing some grip to the other nations and it's just all out war.
Guardacostas
Gunner

10056 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barbados has the ability to form a landing party. But the landing party for some reason is walking in the Caribbean and not the island of Barbados!

Usually I'm playing 1640 scenarios or under. It seems we are not seeing eye to eye on this one... Crying or Very sad
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if your playing in the 1640 era or under that is a reason why your not seeing very many of the pirate hunters or any of the other stuff very much. My guess is all this stuff could be modded but it would be beyond my talent to do so.
fleetp
Boatswain

36155 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardacostas wrote:
Barbados has the ability to form a landing party. But the landing party for some reason is walking in the Caribbean and not the island of Barbados!

I have encountered the same bug. Crying or Very sad
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Horrible late game AI/Barbados "walk on water" Reply with quote

Guardacostas wrote:
The Barbados "walk on water bug" is a bug that was never patched - it prevents a land attack on the (very rich) city of Barbados.
I think jslangdo possesses the knowledge to fix this. If you can get ahold of him... :-P Although as Pirate suggests, how about bombarding the port with your cannons to piss them off and then sailing in to sack the city?

Guardacostas wrote:
And I'm sure everyone can agree late game AI is atrocious.
I guess I haven't run into this in my games. The only thing I've noticed is that with all the map quests done, you don't get much benefit anymore from hanging out with the ladies, unless you want to spend all your time chasing Sean Connery and friends. But then, I tend to retire after I win...
martside
Powder Monkey

23 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: beating the Barbados "walk on water" bug Reply with quote

I couldn't land a party to attack Barbados, either. My character would have an island-sized patch of water to walk around on. In the spyglass I could see Barbados directly behind me, but if I walked that way, I had to turn around and walk inland.

How I finally sacked Barbados was to sail back and forth, capturing or sinking English ships. When the fort started to fire at me and pirate hunter ships came out to kill me, I could sail into port and choose to attack the town. Hope this helps!
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is definitely modable. We could make the island of Barbados a little bigger to make sure there would be a place to land where you weren't too close to the city. [Alternately, perhaps shifting the city slightly would work too.]

I'll see what I can do. Gosh, I haven't had the game loaded up on my computer in soooo long.

Shame on you for trying to plunder beautiful Bridgetown. They will put you in the jail there (though it's now a museum of Barbados history).
fleetp
Boatswain

36155 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see a mod where I can land on Barbados.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not supposed to attack Barbados! That's the island you retire to! Best beaches, best rum and best women! Retired in Panama
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Salty Dog
Sailing Master

191991 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt about it, awesome rum in Barbados!

Did you drive by the walls where all the animals were painted on the rocks? I remember seeing Giraffe, Hippo, Lion, Snakes and other colorful animals painted on rocks that were part of a cliff on the side of the road, very colorful!
I also remember seeing big rocks on the beach where the water had undercut the bottom of the rocks and it was almost ready to fall over, very strange sight.
I also saw where the English Soldiers built lookout towers that were linked together via line-of-sight to warn each other of any attacks. One English soldier painted a really good lion on a large rock in the North-Central part of the island.
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some investigation, I've found that the issue isn't with the Barbados files per say - it is that the entire island is out of bounds for walking. If you were walking down on the coast of South America that far east, it would turn you back in similar fashion.

So to be able to march to Barbados, we need to either patch the executable to shift the line of where you are not allowed to walk (The line is at about 440 or so, out of 472), or move the island west to bring it inbounds.

I'm working on moving the island, but it's a pretty intrusive shift; it almost comes in line with the rest of the lesser Antilles. Perhaps someone who is good at backtracking the executable could look for the boundary patch instead. Moving the island westward is going to ruin the body surfing at Crane Beach.
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fleetp
Boatswain

36155 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yahoo! Great job! I tried it, and it worked on a new game, but didn't work on a saved game.
Using disk version of the game on Windows 7 with no-CD fix.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: beating the Barbados "walk on water" bug Reply with quote

martside wrote:

How I finally sacked Barbados was to sail back and forth, capturing or sinking English ships. When the fort started to fire at me and pirate hunter ships came out to kill me, I could sail into port and choose to attack the town. Hope this helps!

That's my usual approach. It also works for some of the smaller ones- St. Bart's, perhaps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: