Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

The Challenge Pack
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacques van der Merde
Powder Monkey

31 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you for helping to keep the Game alive. I played Pirates on the amiga 500 back in the days... Now I like to Play the New version as well. And you keep it alive! HerE one other request for the pack: would it be possible to create a function that allows the Pirates ( blackbeard, stede Bonnet etc) to Break out again After you send them to Prison? That would be cool. Thx
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

Jacques van der Merde wrote:
would it be possible to create a function that allows the [top pirates] to Break out again After you send them to Prison?
Everything is possible, but most things exceed my available motivation. What exactly would change? Their ships simply reappear at some point after you defeat them?
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you for helping to keep the Game alive. I played Pirates on the amiga 500 back in the days... Now I like to Play the New version as well. And you keep it alive! HerE one other request for the pack: would it be possible to create a function that allows the Pirates ( blackbeard, stede Bonnet etc) to Break out again After you send them to Prison? That would be cool. Thx

AdamMil wrote:
would it be possible to create a function that allows the [top pirates] to Break out again After you send them to Prison?
Everything is possible, but most things exceed my available motivation. What exactly would change? Their ships simply reappear at some point after you defeat them?

The trainer does something like this, but I always get strange results when I use the feature, like the EVIL Mr. Farthingsworth!
Jacques van der Merde
Powder Monkey

31 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes - they would be free again and plunder ships and cities and may be have more treasures and the competition in the top ten list would be better/ or would last longer...

Quote:
The trainer does something like this, but I always get strange results when I use the feature, like the EVIL Mr. Farthingsworth!

oh, really. which trainer? for which version? Evil Mr. Farthingsworth sounds funny!

[/quote][/code]
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, really. which trainer? for which version? Evil Mr. Farthingsworth sounds funny!
PHTrainer
Gauloisier
Powder Monkey

28 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome things you're doing here, guys!
I'm new to the forum but not to the game, that I still put in my top 5 games of all times Very Happy

simple question, or request in fact:
is it possible to make a new exe that would contain only one modification:
no aging at all. Infinite game, simple as that.
Is it possible? or shall we go for an extreeeemmmmly slow aging which would be almost like no aging at all?
And if yes, can you make it?
fleetp
Boatswain

36123 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gauloisier wrote:
Awesome things you're doing here, guys!
I'm new to the forum but not to the game, that I still put in my top 5 games of all times Very Happy

simple question, or request in fact:
is it possible to make a new exe that would contain only one modification:
no aging at all. Infinite game, simple as that.
Is it possible? or shall we go for an extreeeemmmmly slow aging which would be almost like no aging at all?
And if yes, can you make it?

If you are using the PC version of the game, the PH tainer has a 'never age/lock year' option.
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(fleetp is referring to PHTrainer.)
Gauloisier
Powder Monkey

28 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes I play the game on PC Smile

I've tried the trainer, and it doesnt work. I have the non-steam version of the game Mad
Captain Riddle
Swabbie

2171 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is amazing, so glad to see some executable mods. So I gotta ask, any chance you could take a look at a few other minor issues with the game?

First would be, is it possible to allow apostrophes in ship names? And possibly to expand the character limit for them? It's probably the biggest nuisance in the game, especially since there exist default ship names that contain apostrophes or exceed the limit.

Second: I did a run years ago where I never made port and replenished crew by grapeshotting ships and picking up all the floating crew -- but I found that once you get a surgeon, you need to pick up two floaters in battle to gain one crew after the battle. It seems the surgeon reduces your change in crew during a battle by half, regardless of if it's a positive or negative value.

Third and last -- the official patch made it so you can't sack a city again if you install a new governor until the AI conquers it. I guess it's to disable exploits with nation's favor and the like, but it means if the AI flips a town you can't re-flip it without giving up the ability to sack it forever (well, unless the AI happens to reconquer it again).

If you don't have time or willingness... any chanc of any pointers on how to do this stuff? I'm a software dev and I'm sure I could pull it off given the right starting knowledge, but when it comes to reversing things and even just finding values to hex edit I don't know where to begin... can't imagine how you approach stuff like replacing the crew morale calculation with a new one...

AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Riddle wrote:
First would be, is it possible to allow apostrophes in ship names? And possibly to expand the character limit for them?
This doesn't sound too hard. "Only" about 3-6 hours' worth of effort.
Captain Riddle wrote:
once you get a surgeon, you need to pick up two floaters in battle to gain one crew after the battle
Perhaps about 3-12 hours' worth.
Captain Riddle wrote:
the official patch made it so you can't sack a city again if you install a new governor until the AI conquers it
No idea how long this will take. Does it show you a message saying that you can't sack the city, or is it simply disabled?
Captain Riddle wrote:
If you don't have time or willingness... any chanc of any pointers on how to do this stuff? I'm a software dev and I'm sure I could pull it off given the right starting knowledge
You'd have to know relatively low-level programming details such as assembly language and how C++ compiles to assembly, and how .exe files are structured (the PE format). If you know those things, you can begin to understand how the program is written via an extremely laborious process: disassemble the .exe and start reading the assembly language. Programs like IDA automate some parts of this and help organize whatever knowledge you manage to wring out of the process, especially if you use the decompiler plugin. (I probably put 150-200 hours into it so far, but am willing to share my IDA database if you get IDA Pro 6.1 or later installed.)
Captain Riddle
Swabbie

2171 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamMil wrote:
Captain Riddle wrote:
the official patch made it so you can't sack a city again if you install a new governor until the AI conquers it
No idea how long this will take. Does it show you a message saying that you can't sack the city, or is it simply disabled?

As far as I know it's simply disabled.. you can walk up to it on land and you'll just go straight in without the option screen to attack. Not sure what happens if it also opens fire on you, I assume you get the option to sneak in but dunno if attacking is present-and-greyed-out or just not listed.

AdamMil wrote:
You'd have to know relatively low-level programming details such as assembly language and how C++ compiles to assembly, and how .exe files are structured (the PE format). If you know those things, you can begin to understand how the program is written via an extremely laborious process: disassemble the .exe and start reading the assembly language. Programs like IDA automate some parts of this and help organize whatever knowledge you manage to wring out of the process, especially if you use the decompiler plugin. (I probably put 150-200 hours into it so far, but am willing to share my IDA database if you get IDA Pro 6.1 or later installed.)

I've got IDA installed and have messed around with it a bit on smaller things, so I'll take the DB for sure. Still in early learning phases with it though... hard for me to even tell where boilerplate stuff ends and the program's own code begins. Will definitely give it multiple shots though

AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Riddle wrote:
As far as I know it's simply disabled..
Well, that makes it harder to find.
Captain Riddle wrote:
I've got IDA installed and have messed around with it a bit on smaller things, so I'll take the DB for sure.
A relatively recent version of it is on my website: http://www.adammil.net/files/120/pirates.idb.
Captain Riddle wrote:
hard for me to even tell where boilerplate stuff ends and the program's own code begins
If it gives you the names, the boilerplate starts at the entry part (usually named _start), while the program's own code starts in the WinMain function.
ronnraymore
Seaman

4823 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Montalban cheat? Reply with quote

Look...the programmers intentionally inactive your fencing buttons to slow down your response time and prevent blocking this attack...their cheat this is not a fair game when it is rigged by design.

So, any way to remove this disadvantage is fair play in anybody's book.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Montalban cheat? Reply with quote

ronnraymore wrote:
Look...the programmers intentionally inactive your fencing buttons to slow down your response time and prevent blocking this attack...their cheat this is not a fair game when it is rigged by design.

So, any way to remove this disadvantage is fair play in anybody's book.

How would you simulate the effects of aging?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: