Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

piratenames_eng.txt?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: piratenames_eng.txt? Reply with quote

So I finally stepped out of my comfort zone and used PAKbuild to unpack the lang0...thingy to get a fresh "shipnames_enu.txt" and came across something interesting. I found a file called "piratenames_eng.txt" which was interesting to me since I've never seen most of those names in the game. Anyone have any idea what that file's for?

P.S. I did promptly do something I've always wanted to do; I changed Jack Rackham's name to Jack Sparrow and his ship name (in the shipnames_enu.txt) to "Black Pearl" and plopped them into my custom folder. Now to track him down and see if it worked!

P.P.S. Despite my initial fears, I had no trouble using PAKbuild. Well, actually there was one website accidentally hacked but there was a minimum force of NSA agents on my lawn and I was only in jail for a few hours so I consider that a win!
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just got back from hunting down Jack Sparrow; turns out he called in sick, I fought Jack Rackham (his sidekick) who was commanding the "Black Pearl." Oh well, it was worth a shot.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:58 am    Post subject: Jack Sparrow Reply with quote

Congratulations on using PakBuild. Piece of cake wasn't it? Yup they be other ship.txt files in there but unless you bought the game from overseas somewhere chances are your game reads from the shipnames_enu.txt. The other files like .esp .ita .eng are not used unless your game is a foreign version. It be a language thing. If you want to replace Jack Rackham for Jack Sparrow then you must do a couple of things. First ask the dog to go fetch you the piratenames_enu and not the piratenames_eng. Beat him with a stick if he brings the wrong one. Sorry Fido. Replace Rackham with Sparrow. Next give the poor puppy a treat for bringing the right one and ask him to fetch ya the shipnames_enu. Now grab your boots we are going to head on down to the Pirate Warship harbor, Not the Pirate merchant or Pirate pirate harbor. Kinda spooky down here aint it? Now lets steal Jack Rackhams ship. Ah, I see it over there. Its the one named Charles You need to replace that with Black Pearl. Now I am getting outta here while the getting is good. If you want to be brave enough to hijack Rackhams ship and deliever it to Mr. Sparrow then go for it but I aint getting on that thing.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: PS Reply with quote

Forgot to tell ya Jack Sparrow will be waiting for his delivery in the customs folder.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Sparrow Reply with quote

;Names must remain in this order
; NOTE: All names are masculine singular
#TOP10
Cap'n In Doghouse
Henry Morgan
Blackbeard
Captain Kidd
Jean Lafitte
Stede Bonnet
L'Olonnais
Roc Brasiliano
Bart Roberts
Jack Sparrow

#PIRATE WARSHIPS
Adventure, M
Adventure Galley, M
Adventure Prize, M
Bachelor's Delight, M
Black Joke, M
Blessing, M
Blood Debt, M
Bloody Delight, M
Cassandra, M
Black Pearl, M
Childhood, M
Delight, M
Delivery, M
Desire, M
Fancy, M
Flying Dragon, M
Flying Horse, M
Flying King, M
Fortune, M
Gift, M
Golden Hind, M
Good Fortune, M
Happy Delivery, M
Liberty, M
Little Ranger, M
Loyal Fortune, M
Mary Anne, M
Night Rambler, M
Queen Anne's Revenge, M
Ranger, M
Revenge, M
Rising Sun, M
Rover, M
Royal Fortune, M
Royal James, M
Scowerer, M
Sea King, M
Snap Dragon, M
Speaker, M
Speedy Return, M
Sudden Death, M
Tiger, M
Victory, M
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Jack Sparrow Reply with quote

Just a thought. It would be kinda cool if we could replace ole Rackham himself with somebody who looked a bit more like Jack Sparrow. Don't get me wrong though I do like ole Rackham and in fact he is one of my favorites. He just looks like a pirate and made a great cpt_grd_d for me. I think though he is like me a bit on the ugly side to to be Jack Sparrow. I could easily swap him out for some of the other pirates but they don't remind me of Jack Sparrow either. Oh well I guess we can call him Jack Rackham Sparrow Smile
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the input; I'll be sure to try it out. The reason I chose Rackham (even though I like him) to replace it that when "Curse of the Black Pearl" first came out; I saw an interview in which one of the writers said that Jack Sparrow was largely based on Jack Rackham. Interesting side note; right before Assassins Creed IV Black Flag was released I saw an interview with that Ishmael dude who said that their Rackham was inspired by Jack Sparrow and was their nod to him. Vicious circle then eh?

[EDIT] I never got an answer to my original question; what are all the other names for?
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Other Names Reply with quote

If your talking about .eng.txt files then I thought I answered that in my first reply.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I was talking about all the extra names. Examples;

#SPANISH_PIRATES
Montalban
Delgado
Vasquez
La Mancha
de Silva
Almagro
Delado
Orgonez
de Loyola
de Nieva
Alvarado
Sanchez
de Toledo
Valdez
Mendoza
Enriquez
#ENGLISH_PIRATES
Fielding
Moodyford
Holcroft
Thatcher
Culliford
Roberts
Alexander
Gilford
Rackham
Howards
Parks
Glatsby
Clinton
Wilsons
O^Gilby
Thornbill
#FRENCH_PIRATES
Raynale
de Coligny
le Crozat
Galoise
Carriere
Ribault
le Grand
Olonais
Fenelon
du Tertre
de Ville
Roberval
Desmaret
de Lavale
du Clarion
la Salle
#DUTCH_PIRATES
vaan Ryhn
Ruyters
Tromper
de Vranck
de Graff
Brugmans
van Hudde
Haakles
der Wee
van Neck
de Ginzu
de Vries
Huyghen
de Witt
Bruegel
van Rapp

Actually, that's all of them. Oops or blush
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: Smugglers Reply with quote

Those be your smugglers my friend. They more or less are pirates sailing with a letter of marque so if you attack them you are offending the nation that issued a letter of marque to them. Not really sure why they give them a name when I can't ever recall seeing it used in the game.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when I see an English Pinnace labeled "English Smuggler" it's captain has one of the names under "English Pirates" even though I never see it in game?
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: yup Reply with quote

Yup, I read about that somewhere but can't remember the source. Anyway it makes a bit of sense. If you notice the smugglers ships all come from the nations pirate list but why they never show the captains pirate name in the game since they do in fact have names is a mystery to me at this time. Perhaps somebody might could clear this up for us.
Amaroy
Swabbie

1758 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Smugglers Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
Those be your smugglers my friend. They more or less are pirates sailing with a letter of marque so if you attack them you are offending the nation that issued a letter of marque to them. Not really sure why they give them a name when I can't ever recall seeing it used in the game.

Perhaps the coders of the game had not enough time to finish their plans to use these names ingame?
Confused
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere they were the smugglers but can't recall the source. Likely somewhere in the forums here. Of course that could have been someone's opinion rather than facts but it seems right to me. As to why we never see the names in the game is unknown by me too. It could have been unfinished business from smp but then again maybe not. Wish I knew too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: