Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

COmpass errors
View previous topic :: View next topic  
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: COmpass errors Reply with quote

Something I have noticed since the 80's till now is the ingame compass (obviuosly for games that have a compass) never work well. Pirates! included. In SMP it is mainly east/west reversals.

I think I know why. I noticed in the SMP and east indies mod landscape.ini a global reference to diameter.

In game the 0,0 to 255,255 reference was used. I.E. a 2d square not a sphere. If the compass routine accounts for an equivalent version of a GMT for a true sphere (it does not even have to exist in the visible game) and includes the math for said sphere using the haversine function should take out compass errors.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: COmpass errors Reply with quote

parksbanyon wrote:
Something I have noticed since the 80's till now is the ingame compass (obviuosly for games that have a compass) never work well. Pirates! included. In SMP it is mainly east/west reversals.

I think I know why. I noticed in the SMP and east indies mod landscape.ini a global reference to diameter.

In game the 0,0 to 255,255 reference was used. I.E. a 2d square not a sphere. If the compass routine accounts for an equivalent version of a GMT for a true sphere (it does not even have to exist in the visible game) and includes the math for said sphere using the haversine function should take out compass errors.

I just thought the compass was there to aid you in getting more lost - until you memorized the map Smile
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Agreed Reply with quote

That is about all it is really good for at this point (getting lost or increasing the level of disorientation)
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Agreed Reply with quote

parksbanyon wrote:
That is about all it is really good for at this point (getting lost or increasing the level of disorientation)

Than I say :

Razz Razz to the compass Razz Razz
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explain again, please? What is the compass distortion that you see?

SMP is not played on a spherical planet, it is on a rectangular grid.
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Therein is the problem Reply with quote

Being we are on the Pirates! forum we'll stick with that. I think programmers think the same thing "its on a finite grid map so we don't have to account for a sphere".
Yet all compass' ingame err usually reversing north south or east west. Pirates! seems to do it more often (or the situation for it occur) east-west.
Example: I use the compass when I land to seek buried treasure. On the higher difficulties less landmarks are visible. Because of the compass error I try to locate a landmark that the treasure is due (N,S,E,or W of) I know I am walking due west but the compass may clearly show due east.
I haven't personally looked into the compass subroutines of a game since the 90's but at that time the subroutine were calculated for a finite grid not a sphere and they didn't work then either. It made sense to me then (and still does) why worry about the parts that aren't playable, but I'm thinking that may be the flaw.
I'm thinking by modding the routine to account for a sphere and providing a standard reference (equator and GMT) and referencing the location of and size of the game grid it may eliminate said error. I am a firm believer in the KeepItSimpleStupid (KISS) methodology but this has been "bugging" me for 30 years.
Roland
Helmsman

22541 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think the compass in SMP was screwed up too. And then I learned how to read the compass correctly. Are you sure you are reading it right?

The compass always points north. If it is pointing straight down, then you are facing south. If it is pointing to the right, then you are facing west. If it is pointing to the upper left, then you are facing northeast.
Mr. Blue
Rigger

68973 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never noticed any compass errors. Like Roland said, compasses are supposed to point north, which could be right behind you (represented as down on a flat screen.)
parksbanyon
Gunner

13127 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: uhhhhhhhhhhhh Reply with quote

wemt in game. Yep ur right. In my head I was forgetting that even tho I have turned left or right the needle will be opposite of the turn! 30 years 30 years. What a wasted life! Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: