Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Mailing list
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Mailing list Reply with quote

All,

In this day and age, mass mailings have become a very sensitive topic so before I go ahead with what I'd like to attempt, I thought I'd throw it in the group.

We'll be installing a mailing list through which everyone interested in news about the site and Pirates! 2 in particular can be kept up to date. Site news will obviously have to be hot news before you'll get mail in that category, so don't expect us to spam you with that. Smile Pirates! news, like the recently confirmed release date, future screenshots, interviews and other news will be mailed as often as there's news though.

So far pretty straightforward stuff. Here's the catch. I'd like to attempt to integrate the mailing list software with the forum software. This would mean:
- Signing up for the mailing list does not sign you up for the forum, signing up for the forum does sign you up for the mailing list
- Forum users quite possibly will not have a choice about receiving the mailings.
- Forum users don't need to sign up twice. Smile

So, as this wasn't in any of the 'terms of use' while you guys signed up, I thought I'd better ask first. *grin*

What do you think?
Hayreddin Barbarossa
Swabbie

610 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Nay! Reply with quote

-
While remaining a forum member, I'd like to retain my right of NOT subscribing to the mailing list. I don't really like that stuff. Sorry.
_

Hayreddin Barbarossa, proud member of the LIB
El Diablo
Cutthroat

218 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have been a bit confused and angry, if you did not ask Wink , so I am really happy.

Can't you just make an option in the user-settings, so evryone can decide on his/her own to scribe or not?!

That would be the much better way as it is habit in many fors I know.

I think that is a good compromise, Who wants, can, who not not, and who decides the other way anytime, can do it, either. Smile
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that would be idea. Problem is, I'm only half an Internet technician and I fear I lack the skills for such an integration. Smile I can do simple modifications to scripts but I can't write or rewrite them. So though I can install and configure a mailinglist/newsletter script, I won't be able to fully integrate it with the forum myself. I *think* I can modify an existing newsletter script enough so that it will make use of the same emails as the forum users use but that's as far as it goes. Wink

Dunno, perhaps I can pull some strings with some old friends and see if they can do better. Either way, there 'will' be a newsletter. The question is only "how well will it integrate".
El Diablo
Cutthroat

218 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

was just an suggestion of mine. I know, my tone is somtimes maybe a bit ironed, so please try to look on the information. Smile

But on the other hand, until January you still have 6 weeks! Very Happy Very Happy

Maybe you do it the way, that anyone who wants it, writes a mail to scribe. If it is the one placed in the profile, he/she will be part of it.

That would not be the perfect integration but maybe the better solution for the ones who don't want the newsletter.

@ALL: Hope, that more will express their expectations here. Smile
PiratesFan
Rigger

23509 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will how about enable the option for current users and then have those currently signed up the option at the bottom to turn the newsletter off. Personally I am for the newsletter. The option definately needs to be out there to turn off the newsletter.
Thank you for asking before just implementing the newsletter. I know lots of people that wouldn't mind but others (Hayreddin Barbarossa) wouldn't really like to have the newsletter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hayreddin Barbarossa
Swabbie

610 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: PM? Reply with quote

-
Falconer,

I sent you a PM concerning this subject. Have you received it?
_

PiratesFan
Rigger

23509 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure he has gotten your pm and will respond as soon as he can....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Hayreddin Barbarossa
Swabbie

610 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Yep! Reply with quote

-
He did. Smile I'm an impatient one, sometimes. Wink
_

PiratesFan
Rigger

23509 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ok a lot of us get impatient at times Smile
El Diablo
Cutthroat

218 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and someone is earning posts like ships... Wink Laughing
PiratesFan
Rigger

23509 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And whatever could you mean by that Surprised
Hayreddin Barbarossa
Swabbie

610 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Huh? Reply with quote

-
Cool avatar PF. Wink

El Diablo, I'm lost there. Shocked
_

PiratesFan
Rigger

23509 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't take all the credit for the avatar. So I will have to give credit...where credit is due.
I was reading New Pirates of the Burning Sea shots that Falconer posted and was looking through the rest of the site and found a bunch of flags they were making and commenting on and found this one and just started LMAO Laughing. So I had to have it on here.
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey peeps,

Finally found a mailing list mod for phpbb. Having a look at it now. At first glance it looks like it's exactly what I've been looking for. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: