Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Imported Flag and Sail Graphics
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian
Powder Monkey

553 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Imported Flag and Sail Graphics Reply with quote

The readme that comes with the game says that you can import flag and sail graphics by converting your files to TGA or DDS format and placing them in the /custom folder. But it doesn't say what resolution these files should be in, or how to make make portions of the image transparent in the game.

Has anybody played around with this and got it to work?
PiratesFan
Rigger

23509 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I am not an avid modder ... I unfortuneately won't be able to answer a lot of mod questions... grrr

If I see a lot of questions on modding ,... I might start trying to see if I can
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kokopelli
Swabbie

801 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're using DDS files, the max size is 256x256 with 24-bit resolution. I imported a custom flag and sail yesterday, and they both work. Just need to work on the sail. Make sure you name your files to the appropriate format, e.g. flag_name.dds or else it will not show up in the game.
dot hog
Swabbie

6 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am new to modding but would like to try it out with Pirates!.

I've got a lot of stupid questions, and google isn't answering many of them. Apparently modders aren't used to explaining themselves to noobs, so there isn't much "basic" info out there.

To begin, how do I create a .dds file? Is this something I can only do with Photoshop? I found some tools at nvidia.com for dds stuff: a file viewer and a plug-in for Adobe Photoshop, among others.

I hope I can still mod even though I don't have Photoshop and fancy graphic software tools. Not a big deal, though--it's just for fun. Initially, I just wanted to make a flag for my ship. Thought it would be a good starting point.

Any tips appreciated.
Kokopelli
Swabbie

801 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@dot hog

You'll have to view the files in the /Custom directory for the name formats, but hopefully this will help create the desired .dds files for use on your ships.

You will first need the DXTBmp utility available here. Once you have that installed, the process is easy.

1. Open the image you want to use in Photo Shop, and check the image size. I believe it is under, Image, Image Size or something similar. The size should be 256x256. If not, make sure the Constraining Image check box is unchecked, and set it accordingly. Save your image a .bmp file with the default settings.

2. Now you want open your DXTBmp software. Open the your newly created .bmp file and select File, Save As, .dds image (process might be different, going on memory. But it shouldn't be too difficult if you're familiar with "Save As.") and make sure the file is saved in the /Pirates/Custom folder. The name format is important, as the game will not see it otherwise. But you should see the other .dds files in here. The format is designated "flags_" for flags and "emblem_" for sail emblems. e.g. flag_yourfile.dds

3. After you have that completed, simply open PIRATES! and go to your options. You'll select the "Change flag and sail" option, and scroll until you see your newly created flag/sail emblem. Now I should warn you: the flag works like a charm, but for some reason the emblem covers the entire sail. I didn't mess around with the image properties in PS lastnight save for getting a custom flag in the game.

That is the basics you'll need to get a flag in there. Unfortunately my knowledge of PS is more hands on, and I am not able to provide the information without the application in front of me. Hope that helps.

Happy sailing - K'pelli
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick question from somebody who has to wait another week for the game...
What is the difference between a flag and an emblem. Maybe some screenshots would help to explain the difference.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Seven
Swabbie

151 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingWilly wrote:
A quick question from somebody who has to wait another week for the game...
What is the difference between a flag and an emblem. Maybe some screenshots would help to explain the difference.

your ship has both, the flag shows up at the very top and is small, the emblem is what is decripted on the sails of your ship

flags seem to be very easy to do, emblems however... i would appreciate any help or suggestions in that area
Gackbeard
Firaxian
Firaxian

314 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of help do you need, Seven?

Dan
FIRAXIS Games, Inc.
Seven
Swabbie

151 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gackbeard wrote:
What kind of help do you need, Seven?

Dan
FIRAXIS Games, Inc.

Hi, thanks for replying so promptly

actually I was wondering if I could get a few steps guide towards making custom emblems? right now I am making them via photoshop with the DDS plugin, but it seems like the emblems take up the entire sail rather than just act as a graphic upon it like the ones already made, I am making them using the same route as the flags

256x256 pixel DDS images saved with the appropriate headers, is there some special cutting that needs to be done so that only the graphic is represented on a normal sail background?

thanks alot
Gackbeard
Firaxian
Firaxian

314 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need to create an alpha channel. Alpha channels are basically black-and-white masks that programs can use to determine how much of the actual image to display at that location. Areas that are pure black don't get shown at all; areas that are pure white get shown completely; and so on.

So you'd create an alpha channel that is white where your emblem is, black all around the background, and probably antialiased around the edges. There are plenty of Photoshop tutorials out there that can explain how to work with channels.

Then when you save as a DDS, remember to set your alpha mode. DDS1 will probably work for most, but if that turns out too jagged, try DDS3.

Hope this helps!

Dan
FIRAXIS Games, Inc.
Seven
Swabbie

151 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alot!

works like a charm! and so easy to do too
Seven
Swabbie

151 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you make a black emblem? does it need to have a white border around it?
Helioglyph
Powder Monkey

57 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: emblem Reply with quote

the small flag is an opaque image, meaning if you want it to have a cloth texture you need to add it yourself. The image needs to be 256 x 256 and needs to be saved as flag_name.dds and in the save as field in the Dxtbmp app select 'DDS DXT1 (NoAlpha)'. It will be available next time you go into the options screen.

The larger emblems are 512 x 512 and need to be saved as ship_sail_emblem_lrg_name.dds, select 'DDS DXT3' in the save as field. This image uses an alpha channel. When you make your logo you need to also make an file to be used for the alpha channel. Make an inverse of the image. the black areas will be were the image was empty and the white or grayscale areas will be were the image shows through. The value of grey determines how transparent the image will be in that area, the closer to black the more transparent it will be and the closer the white the more opaque. Once you have your two images load the non-inverted image by opening it with Dxtbmp. Then select import alpha channel under the alpha menu. Open the inverted image; it will show up in the smaller window to the right. You can preview the image by selecting preview>transparency.

Once you have both loaded you can save it in the custom folder as mentioned. Alpha channels are simple things, you can find out plenty more advanced tricks and uses for them online.
sky
Swabbie

991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creating modified flags and other game elements sounds interesting. I don't know if I will want to spend enough time for doing that on my own... so I wondered if anybody of you maybe already had the idea to collect such self-made Pirates! flags, logos, etc. and share them with others.

For me (and I guess also for others) that would be nice... Smile
Taé Shala
Powder Monkey

177 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we could get some webspace on the server for new flags and sails so we could attach them to our posts? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: