Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

rank mod?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thumbs
Powder Monkey

88 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: rank mod? Reply with quote

Where can i get the rank mod not with parrots?
Gun Pierson
Gunner

5053 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

?

The only thing I know of is the suggestion for Cyberops Master Expansion to include some more ingame & endgame ranks. You know of a rank mod with parrots?
thumbs
Powder Monkey

88 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there was one that went lt. commander captain and ended with lord but not sure where i found it but the one with the parrot by ruppert i think misses up one of the trainers.
CGM3
Gunner

12612 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To change the ranks, you must extract the text.ini file from the PAK1.FPK file in the Assets folder of Pirates! and edit it. You can also extract the pedia_enu.txt file from the LANG0.FPK (or the UPDATE1010.FPK file if you've installed the patch) and edit it to make the Pirate-O-Pedia match the new ranks (note that, for non-US versions, the file "suffix" will probably be something other than _enu). This is built from TheDon's "Politically Incorrect Gaming" thread over on the Tavern forum, and Lord_Refar's parrot/rank mod, but I've tried to organize it so any fool can plainly see how it is done:

===============================================

The text.ini file lives in the PAK1.FPK file in your Pirates! Assets folder. It defines a number of the terms used in the game, which can be changed by extracting text.ini (using an FPK Pack/Unpack utility) and editing its contents (using WordPad; NotePad, I have been told, can change the format of the file so that it isn't effective).

In one way, the modding of the text.ini file differs from normal modding in that the file must be placed in the Assets folder rather than the Custom folder. There the game's usual policy of a-file-outside-of-an-FPK-file-supersedes-the-same-file-in-an-FPK-file functions normally... and if you want to restore the original values, just remove the text.ini file.

The text.ini file consists of a number of blocs or sections defining text values that appear in various displays in the game. These include your relatives, the ranking system, the names and descriptions of the Special Items, the names for the treasure map "coastal landmarks", and the thumbnail descriptions for the ports, as well as stuff I still haven't figured out.

One thing to bear in mind, you can change the value of the text following a "VALUE = " prefix, but in most cases I don't think you can add new ones (well, you probably can, but that might futz up the program). And the order the values in a bloc appear, in many instances, matters.

As an example, I elected to change the names of the ranks awarded by the four nations because the existing hierarchy struck me as a tad too pretentious. The bloc of code covering this was originally (and, yes, Mr. appears twice):

[RANK]
Type = __VAR
Value = Mr.
Value = Mr.
Value = Captain
Value = Major
Value = Colonel
Value = Admiral
Value = Baron
Value = Count
Value = Marquis
Value = Duke

but I changed it to

[RANK]
Type = __VAR
Value = Mr.
Value = Mr.
Value = Lieutenant
Value = Commander
Value = Captain
Value = Commodore
Value = Admiral
Value = Squire
Value = Baronet
Value = Lord

Mind, this does not change the entries in the Pirate-O-Pedia -- Captain is still defined as the lowest rank, and Major and Colonel still appear while Lieutenant and Commander are not present -- but onscreen the governor now initially promotes me to Lieutenant and refers to me as such.

===============================================

And the pedia_enu.txt changes are...

I examined the changes in the opedia_enu.txt file (which normally lives in LANG0.FPK) for the parrot mod and discovered that it uses subject-oriented format that lends itself to modification. The original section dealing with the ranks reads:

----------------------------------------

;Begin PC Ranks

%%Rankings

%Promotions
#pedia_promotions.dds, 0, 0, 256, 256, 75
When you perform missions for a <L:governor>governor</L>, sink or capture enemy ships, or attack enemy towns, you will curry favor with that nation. Over time, you will earn promotions for your continued service to the crown. Rank has its reward; in addition to snappy new attire, you'll find it easier to attract the attention of <L:daughter (governor's)>daughters</L> as you grow in stature. Finally, each rank affords its holder special privileges in ports of that nationality:

* <L:Captain>Captain</L>: easier crew <L:Recruiting>recruiting</L>
* <L:Major>Major</L>: cheaper ship repairs
* <L:Colonel>Colonel</L>: more cooperative <L:merchant>merchants</L>
* <L:Admiral>Admiral</L>: cheaper ship <L:Ship Enhancements>upgrades</L>
* <L:Baron>Baron</L>: substantially easier crew recruiting
* <L:Count>Count</L>: free ship repairs
* <L:Marquis>Marquis</L>: substantially more cooperative merchants
* <L:Duke>Duke</L>: free ship upgrades

%Captain
#pedia_rank_captain.dds, 0, 0, 256, 256, 75
In naval parlance of the day, a captain is the lowest ranking officer who would be given an independent command - that is, who would be assigned a solo mission. (A lieutenant could be put in charge of a vessel, but he would usually operate under the direct supervision of a superior officer.)

In general usage the title of "Captain" is given by courtesy to the commander of any vessel.

Captains also enjoy the privilege of easier <L:Recruiting>recruiting</L> in that country's ports.

%Major
#pedia_rank_major.dds, 0, 0, 256, 256, 75
A major is an officer of some importance in an army: of higher rank than a <L:captain>captain</L> but lower than a <L:colonel>colonel</L>. When given to a naval officer, however, the title is more of a financial reward: the new major is to be accorded the pay of that rank but he's not necessarily thought competent to lead soldiers into battle.

Majors enjoy the privilege of cheaper ship repairs in that country's ports in addition to all privileges afforded to lower ranks.

%Colonel
#pedia_rank_colonel.dds, 0, 0, 256, 256, 75
Of higher rank than a <L:major>major</L> but lower than a general, a colonel is an officer of importance in an army. When given to a naval officer, however, the title is in the nature of a financial reward: the colonel is to be accorded the pay of a colonel, but he's not necessarily thought competent to lead soldiers into battle.

Colonels enjoy the privilege of better trading with <L:merchant>merchants</L> in that country's ports in addition to all privileges afforded to lower ranks.

%Admiral
#pedia_rank_admiral.dds, 0, 0, 256, 256, 75
Also called a "flag officer" or "fleet officer," an admiral is deemed competent to command an entire fleet in battle. This is the highest military rank available to a naval officer.

Admirals enjoy the privilege of cheaper ship <L:Ship Enhancements>upgrades</L> in that country's ports in addition to all privileges afforded to lower ranks.

%Baron
#pedia_rank_baron.dds, 0, 0, 256, 256, 75
A nobleman of the lowest rank. A Baron is superior to all commoners, but inferior to <L:count>Counts</L>, <L:marquis>Marquis</L>, and <L:duke>Dukes</L>. The Baron is addressed as "My lord" by his inferiors.

Barons enjoy the privilege of substantially easier <L:Recruiting>recruiting</L> in that country's ports in addition to all privileges afforded to lower ranks.

%Count
#pedia_rank_count.dds, 0, 0, 256, 256, 75
A nobleman of the fourth rank, a Count is superior to all commoners and <L:baron>Barons</L>, but inferior to <L:marquis>Marquis</L> and <L:duke>Dukes</L>. A Count is addressed as "My lord" by inferiors.

Counts enjoy the privilege of free ship repairs in that country's ports in addition to all privileges afforded to lower ranks.

%Marquis
#pedia_rank_marquis.dds, 0, 0, 256, 256, 75
A nobleman of the third rank, the Marquis is superior to all commoners, <L:baron>Barons</L> and <L:count>Counts</L>, but inferior to <L:duke>Dukes</L>. A Marquis is addressed as "My lord" by inferiors.

Marquis enjoy the privilege of substantially better trading with <L:merchant>merchants</L> in that country's ports in addition to all privileges afforded to lower ranks.

%Duke
#pedia_rank_duke.dds, 0, 0, 256, 256, 75
A nobleman of the second rank, the Duke is superior to all commoners, <L:baron>Barons</L>, <L:count>Counts</L> and <L:marquis>Marquis</L>, and inferior only to Kings and Princes. A Duke is addressed as "Your grace" by his inferiors (which includes just about everybody).

Dukes enjoy the privilege of free ship <L:Ship Enhancements>upgrades</L> in that country's ports in addition to all privileges afforded to lower ranks.

;End PC Ranks

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I modified the entries to reflect the ranking system I instituted in the text.ini file, loaded the opedia_enu.txt file into an FPK file along with the rest of the Parrot mod files (I used the opedia_enu.txt file in that mod's FPK file to retain the Parrot/Macaw changes as well), and dropped it into the Custom folder, where it worked nicely.

As you can see in the next section (which is the revised PC Ranks block), I left the lines referencing the DDS files alone. The code with the <L:> form is apparently used to create a link, with the "header" (such as <L:name1)> refering to an entry in the 'Pedia (here called name1), the "middle" (say, "stuff") being the text that serves as the link (the word or words you click on to activate the link), and then the suffix (</L>). So the code <L:name1>stuff</L> means clicking on the word "stuff" in the displayed Pirate-O-Pedia text takes you to the section for "name1".

Here's the revised PC Ranks section

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

;Begin PC Ranks

%%Rankings

%Promotions
#pedia_promotions.dds, 0, 0, 256, 256, 75
When you perform missions for a <L:governor>governor</L>, sink or capture enemy ships, or attack enemy towns, you will curry favor with that nation. Over time, you will earn promotions for your continued service to the crown. Rank has its reward; in addition to snappy new attire, you'll find it easier to attract the attention of <L:daughter (governor's)>daughters</L> as you grow in stature. Finally, each rank affords its holder special privileges in ports of that nationality:

* <L:Lieutenant>Lieutenant</L>: easier crew <L:Recruiting>recruiting</L>
* <L:Commander>Commander</L>: cheaper ship repairs
* <L:Captain>Captain</L>: more cooperative <L:merchant>merchants</L>
* <L:Commodore>Commodore</L>: cheaper ship <L:Ship Enhancements>upgrades</L>
* <L:Admiral>Admiral</L>: substantially easier crew recruiting
* <L:Squire>Squire</L>: free ship repairs
* <L:Baronet>Baronet</L>: substantially more cooperative merchants
* <L:Lord>Lord</L>: free ship upgrades

%Lieutenant
#pedia_rank_captain.dds, 0, 0, 256, 256, 75
In naval parlance of the day, a lieutenant is the lowest ranking officer who would be given an independent command - that is, who would be assigned a solo mission - although he would usually operate under the direct supervision of a superior officer. In game terms, this is a courtesy rank granted you by a nation to acknowledge your accomplishments; it is superseded by the rank of <L:commander>commander</L>.

Lieutenants also enjoy the privilege of easier <L:Recruiting>recruiting</L> in that country's ports.

%Commander
#pedia_rank_major.dds, 0, 0, 256, 256, 75
Like <L:lieutenant>lieutenant</L>, commander is an honorary rank granted to a Caribbean privateer to acknowledge further accomplishments for the crown. The next higher rank is <L:captain>captain</L>.

Commanders enjoy the privilege of cheaper ship repairs in that country's ports in addition to all privileges afforded to lower ranks.

%Captain
#pedia_rank_colonel.dds, 0, 0, 256, 256, 75
In general usage, the title of "Captain" is given by courtesy to the master and commander of any independently-operating vessel. In game terms, it acknowledges that the player character has rendered considerable service to his nation. Captains outrank <L:commander>commanders</L>, but are outranked by <L:commodore>commodores</L>.

Captains enjoy the privilege of better trading with <L:merchant>merchants</L> in that country's ports in addition to all privileges afforded to lower ranks.

%Commodore
#pedia_rank_admiral.dds, 0, 0, 256, 256, 75
The highest "line officer" rank, a commodore can command a squadron of ships operating independently from the direct authority of higher authority. In game terms, it is another honorary rank indicating that the character has performed numerous invaluable services to the nation. The preceding rank is <L:captain>captain</L>; the next rank is <L:admiral>admiral</L>.

Commodores enjoy the privilege of cheaper ship <L:Ship Enhancements>upgrades</L> in that country's ports in addition to all privileges afforded to lower ranks.

%Admiral
#pedia_rank_baron.dds, 0, 0, 256, 256, 75
Also called a "flag officer" or "fleet officer," an admiral is deemed competent to command an entire fleet in battle. This is the highest military rank available to a naval officer; in game terms, it is a courtesy acknowledging sustained significant service to the crown. <L:commodore>Commodores</L> are outranked by an admiral, who can aspire to the title of <L:squire>squire</L>.

Admirals enjoy the privilege of substantially easier <L:Recruiting>recruiting</L> in that country's ports in addition to all privileges afforded to lower ranks.

%Squire
#pedia_rank_count.dds, 0, 0, 256, 256, 75
An English term refering to a landowner of considerable local influence, this rank indicates that the player character has achieved the lowest rung of the "quality" civilian social order. It supersedes the courtesy title of <L:admiral>admiral</L>, and yields precedence to the status of <L:baronet>baronet</L>.

Squires enjoy the privilege of free ship repairs in that country's ports in addition to all privileges afforded to lower ranks.

%Baronet
#pedia_rank_marquis.dds, 0, 0, 256, 256, 75
A nobleman of the lowest rank. A baronet is essentially a landed knight elevated to the lowest level of the aristocracy, superior to all commoners, but inferior to the true peerage (barons, counts, dukes, etc). The baronet is addressed as "Sir" by his inferiors, but we can't get that to apply in the game. Baronets outrank <L:squire>squires</L>, and are outranked by <L:lord>lords</L>.

Baronets enjoy the privilege of substantially better trading with <L:merchant>merchants</L> in that country's ports in addition to all privileges afforded to lower ranks.

%Lord
#pedia_rank_duke.dds, 0, 0, 256, 256, 75
A true nobleman, albeit of indeterminate rank, the lord must still concede precedence to the "true" aristocracy of the mother country, who generally regard him as an parvenu. Nevertheless, a lord is the highest rank that can be attained in the Caribbean, superseding the status of <L:baronet>baronet</L>.

Lords enjoy the privilege of free ship <L:Ship Enhancements>upgrades</L> in that country's ports in addition to all privileges afforded to lower ranks.

;End PC Ranks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing, I suspect the 'enu' part of the file name means English/US -- in other words, that's the Pirate-O-Pedia file for the US version. Other versions may have different names for the file.

You can use this format to change the ranking system to whatever you want, even the one introduced by Edgar Rice Burroughs in his Martian novels (panthan, padwar, dwar, teedwar, odwar, jedwar, jed, jeddak). True, then you have to deal with four-armed Tharks and radium rifles and aerial ships... but maybe you can marry the incomparable Dejah Thoris! Very Happy

==============================================

This is an abridged version of the analysis I did in the SMP Customization and Modding forum of the Pirate Haven (http://piratehaven.net; plug, plug!)

Hope this helps.
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I used has Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral, Admiral, and Lord as the top ranks, which I believe are more historically accurate. I don't remember which mod it was I started with, but the text file I posted with the Saleable Items changes (see the Non-Politically Correct Gaming thread) contains the rank changes, as well as some, ummm... creative text changes for the various cities, criminals, and lost relatives.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
thumbs
Powder Monkey

88 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was called Refar's Rank mod if this helps
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: