Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Contest: The Fluyts of War
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Squid
Seaman

4360 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:04 pm    Post subject: Contest: The Fluyts of War Reply with quote

So I figure I'm pretty good at this game by now. I can dance all night and never stumble, my swordplay is unbeatable, and my tactics carry me through any sea battle. So why not try a new challenge? Use a fluyt as my pirate vessel and retire as a governor!

(From the log of Captain Calvin Barbados)

March 27, 1660: At last, the fluyt I have dreamed of is mine! We took her right outside St. Martin. I immediately sailed her to St. Kitts, where we sold off the sloop and equipped the fluyt with grapeshot. We also renamed her. Now to plunder the Carribean!

April 10, 1660: The first test of the fluyt was a success! We intercepted a pirate brigantine heading for Nevis. It made no attempt to evade us or fire on us, but simply headed straight for us to ram and board. I quickly dispatched the pirate captain in a sword duel, and the demoralized pirate crew immediately surrendered. The fluyt easily holds all the captured cargo, which is a big advantage over the sloop.

April 18, 1660, 10 am: Sailing south past Guadaloupe. The lookout reports an English brig of war on the horizon, and rumor says it carries the military payroll for Nevis - a rich prize! We are closing to attack.

April 18, 1660, 10:30 am: The battle is off to a rough start. We can't seem to manouver fast enough to get off an accurate broadside, and so far we have yet to evade a single English cannonball. About a third of the crew is dead. Yet I have confidence that we will close with the enemy and carry the day yet.

April 18, 1660, 11 am: I am ordering my remaining four crewmen to the lifeboats.

April 18, 1660, 1 pm: This seems like a nice island. I wonder how long it will be before I can catch the attention of a passing ship?

(log ends)

Okay, so the concept needs some work. Next time I will make sure I have a copper bottom and cotton sails before taking on a warship. Stay tuned...
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run this as a contest, declaring the minimum allowd difficulty level and post a prize for the first to retire with 126 fame points (Using a Fluyt)
b4lazarus
Cutthroat

4739 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
Run this as a contest, declaring the minimum allowd difficulty level and post a prize for the first to retire with 126 fame points (Using a Fluyt)

Excellent concept Captain Squid and great Idea, Rupert...I begin my quest today!!!
ledhed
Cutthroat

3392 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would much rather pound rusty nails soaked in brine into my testicles with a fish head.
Captain Squid
Seaman

4360 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, I'll do it. I will award a prize of 400 gold to the first person stubborn or skilled enough to pull this off, with 200 gold to the second person. Minimum difficulty is Adventurer or above (the regrettable experience I started this subject with occured at Rogue level). If I accumulate enough gold meanwhile I may up the reward, but right now I'm a little short. I finally purchased the brig I always wanted!

Documenting that someone actually used a fluyt for the entire game will be a little difficult. I think that I am going to have to trust folks, which with this crowd I have no trouble doing. Send me your save game files taken at 5-year intervals, and your final save game file.

ledhed wrote:
I would much rather pound rusty nails soaked in brine into my testicles with a fish head.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Don't blame you!

Edit: Thanks to Cussler the original award has been doubled.
2nd Edit: Award has been boosted again.

Last edited by Captain Squid on Wed May 04, 2005 10:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Squid wrote:
All right, I'll do it. I will award a prize of 100 gold to the first person stubborn or skilled enough to pull this off, with 50 gold to the second person. Minimum difficulty is Adventurer or above (the regrettable experience I started this subject with occured at Rogue level). If I accumulate enough gold meanwhile I may up the reward, but right now I'm a little short. I finally purchased the brig I always wanted!

Documenting that someone actually used a fluyt for the entire game will be a little difficult. I think that I am going to have to trust folks, which with this crowd I have no trouble doing. Send me your save game files taken at 5-year intervals, and your final save game file.

ledhed wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Don't blame you!
If anybody can do this at Swash before the end of this month (April) AND never divide the plunder except to retire . . .

Bigger reward.

This is gonna be a real killer.

A SWASH Fluyt using only Pirate! trying to get 126 fame points.

If you can do it without cheating.

If you can do this without cheating.
If you can do this without dividing the plunder.

Now be honist folks.

This is a real killer.

Any era, you must change to a Fluyt at the earliest possible moment. At least within the first 6 months of game play. (That is also a killer requirement.) (Requiring you to use the only starting game where you get the blasted Fluyt would be just way too painfull.)

Hows about 600 gp.

(from rupert)

And please, post your running commentaries on the subject.

This should make some interesting reading.

Like:
"My first 5 attempts to take on Henry Morgan and his Large Frigate"
"How I bagged a SotL while sailing a Fluyt"

P.S. will accept using any tub of the Fluyt class.
PrinceScamp
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure, i will just remember to get the other 25 points and and a fylut or whatever you spell it, before i retire in my current game (at adventurer level. Twisted Evil

ps, what happens when you get morroned? you ALWAYS get picked up by a sloop.......
320.9 SCAMP'S STOP
Cussler
Cutthroat

2686 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take heart, Captain Squid.

That was a very entertaining adventure, if a tad short.

But very entertaining. Have read it five times. Very Happy

100 Gold coming your way to help pay for the contest awards.
Captain Squid
Seaman

4360 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cussler wrote:
100 Gold coming your way to help pay for the contest awards.

Many thanks! My award has just been doubled. I agree with Rupert's conditions. And to answer the Scamp's question, if you are sunk (and this is likely!) you have to capture and resume using a fluyt-class ship as your first attack following your rescue.

I am trying it again. I ended tonight at the 4-year mark. Slow going so far, only 20 points. Rupert isn't wrong, this is brutal. Merchant vessels seem to be doable (I captured a treasure galleon, for instance) but I think any military vessel is going to be able to have me for lunch. I hope to encounter Raymondo soon, we'll see how that goes. My fluyt has all 8 enhancements, which means that it now manouvers just a little more slowly than a barge under tow.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing ahar! Laughing

funny story
Vulture
Gunner

606 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye Captain Ledhed. I concur. You would have to be daft to sail a fluyt into battle against a well armed royal sloop or frigate. The rusty nails will be fer yer coffin. Davey Jones locker be the only holds ye be fillin with that pig as yea flagship. ye should name it CANNON FODDER for Teach's sake. Confused

32 brightly polished cannons, a bottle o'rum, ahh..... a pirates life for me!
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrinceScamp wrote:
sure, i will just remember to get the other 25 points and and a fylut or whatever you spell it, before i retire in my current game (at adventurer level. Twisted Evil

ps, what happens when you get morroned? you ALWAYS get picked up by a sloop.......
Looks like the Scamp needs to re-read the conditions of the contest.

Entire career with a Fluyt!

Not just ending with one.

You never use a different kind of ship to attack with. (Except for those short times when you do no have one because you have been defeated and you are hunting one down. This had better be only 1 battle. Your only battle after being defeated is the battle to get that new Fluyt.)

Otherwise it is cheating.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be better, perhaps, to demand relatively good stories of the games and how they went as one part of the competition's conditions. It would perhaps make it easier to spot possible cheaters.

BTW: As I talked with Governor Marriott about this, he also found himself interested in this competition and decided to award the winner extra 300 gold, provided that he gets a detailed account of the winning pirate's adventures as well, over a dinner at his countryside manor. Wink

Runner-ups with good stories may also get prizes...
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
PrinceScamp
Gunner

213 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what if your not good with stories?
320.9 SCAMP'S STOP
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, perhaps the Governor's sub-competition here can be its own thing, so that you can still get the normal prize, but the gov givs his prizes for good stories.

I'll think about it...
It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: