Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Customize the Music in Pirates!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Island Jack
Seaman

4699 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Customize the Music in Pirates! Reply with quote

Ok folks, hopefully this will make some sense and be as easy to understand as it is to do. (Background: Frustrated by not being able to download the "theme pack" in a desperate attempt to hear some different music in the game, I decided to try and just change the music myself, and it actually worked.) So, here's how I did it for anyone who'd like to know:

(Disclaimer: I thought this was a pretty easy process myself, and I don't want to insult anyone who's already figured out how to do it, but in another thread Kristian95 said I might as well post the process.)

Here we go:

First off, you need to find the WAV file in the Pirates "Assets" folder that's the music you want to replace. I'll use the music from a Spanish Port as an example, since that the first I actually did. So, open the "Assets" folder, open the "Sounds" folder, open the "carib" folder and then open the "music" folder. You'll see various WAV files. I have Musicmatch Jukebox as my default WAV file player, so I was able to double click the file and it automatically played in my Musicamatch Jukebox (I would imagine that whatever you use to listen to WAV files on your computer would do the same thing. If not, you should be able to use your preferred method of listening to music on your computer to open the file from the Pirates folder). OK, now you know what file you want to replace. In this case it's "TownMain000."

I cut "TownMain000" from this folder and pasted it into another folder to keep the original Pirates Music in case I ever want to put it back into the game.

Next, I figured that I wanted to hear some Jimmy Buffett when I sailed into a Spanish Town (it's okay, feel free to insult my taste in music, to each his own, eh?) but of course, you should use whatever you want to hear. If you have the music you want to hear stored as a WAV file on your computer you're ready to go. If not, or if you're like me and have most music stored as an MP3 (or some variation thereof) file, you'll need to convert the MP3 to WAV. I used the converter that comes with Musicmatch, which pretty much allowed me to click on my "Tampico Trauma" MP3, and click on "Convert to WAV" and I was set. Here's where my ignorance is going to come into play. I have no idea what other programs will convert MP3 to WAV, but it seems likely that Windows Media Player (or whatever you use for music on your computer) would or should do it. So, find your MP3 wherever you have it on your computer and convert it to a WAV file.

Now, when checking out the original Pirates WAV file you wanted to replace, you probably noticed that the music/song was somewhere around 30 seconds long. I had no problem when I used the full length of "Tampico Trauma" (the music I wanted), but of course, depending on how much time you spend on the Town Menu in the game, you might not want or need your new music file to be the length of the entire piece of music. If you so wish, just cut down the WAV file to whatever you want. I used the Windows Sound Recorder that came with my ghetto computer to do this. Opened up the "Tampico Trauma" WAV file with Sound Recorder, and cut out the beginning and end parts I didn't want to hear.

Once you've got your cut or uncut WAV file, you need to put it back into the Pirates "Assets" folder. Just go to wherever you took the original music out of and put it there. In keeping with my example, I opened the folders "Assets," "Sounds," "carib," "music," cut the "Tampico Trauma" WAV file from where I had it stored and pasted it in this Pirates folder. Then, I renamed the "Tampico Trauma" WAV file to "TownMain000" and tried it out. Sure enough, when I sailed into Havana, I heard Jimmy Buffett.

As an aside, I'll mention that I was able to change all of the "TownMainXXX" files and the "TownTavernXXX" files (so I could hear "Margaritaville" in a tavern) with several different songs without problem. I was also able to change the land battle music and the music heard when you sail out of a port. The only music I had a problem with changing were the two ditties your crew grunts when their happy, but it could just have been me. Also, I did not mess with any of the dancing music.

Just remember that it takes some time to figure out what music you want to replace and that you need to name your new custom music file the same thing and place it in the same folder you took it out of. Spend some time looking around the "Assets" folder, some of the files are obviously named, some I found weren't. (It is possible that just putting music in the "Custom" folder might work, but I don't know, didn't try it. Of course, if anybody out there knows an easier way for folks to customize the music, PLEASE let us know!) I'd also strongly suggest not deleting the original in-game music wholly from your computer in case you ever want it back without having to an uninstall/reinstall.

Thanks for your time everyone, have fun and good luck.

"Mr. Thirsty! Load guns with balls!"
Kristian95
Boatswain

4687 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the guide Smile
I am sure there're other people around who will benefit from your post!! Even the lazy ones, like me, who haven't bothered with tampering with the game much this far Smile
DrBeast
Cutthroat

5316 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add on Island Jack's wonderful article, you need not place you custom created .wav file in the folder you found it. Just throw it in the Custom folder and it will work as well. Or so I think. Give it a try. Just remember to name the file exactly like the file you want to replace!
Island Jack
Seaman

4699 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, DrBeast. Like I said, placing the custom music in the "Custom" folder wasn't something I tried, but that's what I/we need, the input of more knowledgable people. If that works, it makes the process much simpler. Thanks again.

"Mr. Thirsty! Load guns with balls!"
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool. I'm looking for what music I want in the various areas now. Maybe some U2... some Ozzy for the War Galleons... Some of my own music for the towns...

thedon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Swordhawk
Powder Monkey

382 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the idea TheDon

Ozzie's Ironman for fights
DrBeast
Cutthroat

5316 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swordhawk wrote:
thanks for the idea TheDon

Ozzie's Ironman for fights

Uhm...You mean Ozzy's, Tony's, Geezer's and Bill's Iron Man, right? Aka Black Sabbath Wink

Now, the whole point of the Custom folder is to dump WHATEVER you've made into that folder, be it music, .dds files, text files, whatever. That's where the game looks into to see if it will "override" any of its own files.
Grimmelshausen
Cutthroat

1811 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, that´s great, I think, for sailing the main map, I´ll use the Master & Commander exit theme (when Aubrey plays his violin like a guitar). I´ve done that for PotC already, it´s a lovely tune.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: