Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Map of the West Indies 1660
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForeverYoung
Powder Monkey

220 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Map of the West Indies 1660 Reply with quote

Hi,

since my copy of Pirates! doesn't have a (paper-) map, I made my own.
I used screenshots of the in-game map and edited them to a complete Pirates! map of the 1660 era.
I tried to include all the (important) names of the islands, coutries, seas, gulfs & bays.

Here's a small preview:

The real map has a size of 1.3MB (2886x2202 pixels), but since I don't know if it's OK for the site-owner, I hesitated to include the link.
AceChilla
Powder Monkey

129 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I didn't get a map either so I would love it if you put the link on the site.

Please allow it dear moderator Very Happy

And great job for making it.
cyberops
Swabbie

3370 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes a map would definatly be nice
AndersSchm
Swabbie

307 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Map of the West Indies 1660 Reply with quote

ForeverYoung wrote:
Hi,

since my copy of Pirates! doesn't have a (paper-) map, I made my own.
I used screenshots of the in-game map and edited them to a complete Pirates! map of the 1660 era.
I tried to include all the (important) names of the islands, coutries, seas, gulfs & bays.

Here's a small preview:

The real map has a size of 1.3MB (2886x2202 pixels), but since I don't know if it's OK for the site-owner, I hesitated to include the link.

Could you not zip the map and put a link for its download? Very nice job Smile
AndersSchm
Swabbie

307 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are struggling for somewhere to host it I have some space not doing anything though I am sure there are fansites that would love to host it also.
crabber338
Powder Monkey

1253 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... No paper map. Funny, I got one, along with a manual and a DVD. Did you get any of those items?
AndersSchm
Swabbie

307 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crabber338 wrote:
hmmm... No paper map. Funny, I got one, along with a manual and a DVD. Did you get any of those items?

Did you get the limited edition version crabber?
ForeverYoung
Powder Monkey

220 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crabber338 wrote:

I own the standard version which has no paper map.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is most peculiar that they did not include the map in the European standard version, whereas they did so in the US version. Could be that Atari spent so much money on the high quality stuff in the European LE that they decided to make the standard package that much lighter... Confused
ForeverYoung
Powder Monkey

220 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
It is most peculiar that they did not include the map in the European standard version, whereas they did so in the US version. Could be that Atari spent so much money on the high quality stuff in the European LE that they decided to make the standard package that much lighter... Confused

Yes I have the the european version.

Wolfwood, is it OK for you if I would post the link the map?
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:

Maybe they should have printed the map on the shirt that they got with the European LE version.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForeverYoung wrote:
Wolfwood, is it OK for you if I would post the link the map?

I have little knowledge of the legalese that might pertain to a map like yours. I doubt Firaxis would like it if their map was posted on some site if it had been scanned from the original or copy-pasted from screenshots in the game. On the other hand, a map of the Caribbean bearing no resemblance to the Pirates! map other than it happened to show the same cities in the same locations, would prolly be ok from the legal point of view.

The difference is between an original piece of art and a direct copy of someone else's work.

I'm surprised that Atari did not include the map in the European standard edition and my personal opinion is that you should have access to the map. However, as it is, I cannot say yes or no here, since I don't know Atari's / Firaxis' position in the matter.

And the master of this domain is Falconer, so let's wait for his input... Smile
Nefarious
Swabbie

159 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those without a paper map, you can download copies from The Lost Tavern website. Here's a link:
http://frigate.free.fr/manual.html

They have both Hi resolution(2.5Mb) and Low resolution(113Ko) maps from the original game. The cities are exactly the same, and the hi res version prints quite nicely.

Hope this helps. Enjoy.
Nef
TheDS
Seaman

2085 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that anyone who has the game could make this in a few minutes, and you are not selling it, it is fair use to post it. Hmmm... I think I might just not wait for that....

Hey, if you live in the Daytona beach / St. Augustine area, and you are interested in playing games, send me a note. I need a new gamer group!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ForeverYoung
Powder Monkey

220 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Firaxis released the map for download (http://www.atari.de/images/piratesmap.jpg I guess I can give you the link to my map:

http://www.members.aol.com/foreveryoung5307/pirates/West_Indies_Map_1660.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: