Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

This game is awesome!!! But...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noldy
Powder Monkey

99 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: This game is awesome!!! But... Reply with quote

Hi, new to the forums Very Happy
I love this game, I havnt had so much fun for a long long time. I have to say BTW, this is very very similar to Pirates of the Caribbean, but with alot less bugs and overall much better. I miss wondering through jungles and cities in 1st/3rd person mode though...
Well anyway, one thing that i dont like is that sailing on the map takes such a long time. If i want to go from Vera Cruz to St. Martin for instance, itll take me 10 minutes, maybe even more. Is there a speedup button, if no, is it possible to mod that? With PoC you could Very Happy

Cheers!
sky
Swabbie

991 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's good that there is no speed-up button for faster travelling. If you want to do a long journey, then it's just normal that it takes it's time, isn't it? Wink
dot hog
Swabbie

6 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sky wrote:
I think it's good that there is no speed-up button for faster travelling. If you want to do a long journey, then it's just normal that it takes it's time, isn't it? Wink
\
Agreed. If you have the means to bump up your graphics, the fancy-looking water is very calming. A good voyage can be like staring into an aquarium: you're not doing much guiding those pixels through the water, but it can be mesmerizing!
Ieolus
Swabbie

889 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please please don't compare Pirates! to that other game you mentioned, it is insulting!

As for the journey from Vera Cruz to St. Martin, maybe you should do some pirating in the Bahamas first to take your mind off the long journey. There is a major draw back to going West in the Caribbean, make sure it is worth it!
Jonny Graybeard
Swabbie

3924 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that the fun in Pirates is being a pirate.........So as far as I am concerned it can take all the time it needs to, to get to places.................JONNY G
Sen-Dog
Powder Monkey

459 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's painfully close to being possible ...

http://www.addictedtopirates.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=979
Sen-Dog
Powder Monkey

459 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of painfully close, it HAS just been done. Check the link directly above for v0.3 and it does it all (with optional cruise control on the luxury edition ships Very Happy )
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a lot of work has gone into that program SenDog.

But....isn't that like cheating? The fun of the game is to beat your opponents with your own skill. Having something like this (although handy for some things I guess) takes the fun out of the game.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Sen-Dog
Powder Monkey

459 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are two ways you can look at it. The first is that any help to the way the designers made the game, is considered cheating. That would mean you accept the game is 100% perfect from the box, and that everybody likes the game as such. If games were perfect, there would be no such thing as a patch, and who knows if any of those features will be included in the next patch.

There is another school of thought, which assumes that, not everybody is the same, they have different tastes, and there are things which the designers didn't put in, due to cost or time constraints, which are being made available for people to use. This does not mean they HAVE to use it all at once, or even at all, it's just an option there to help them along.

An example is the ship boost speed, on the main map, everybody knows it can be very tedious, and unnecessarily so to sail from one end of the map to another just for a treasure map. Sure it's part of the game, but it could well be said that given time, maybe the designers may have implemented a time acceleration feature into the game, or that paying money to buy a game, only to be waiting so long when there's no action (ie. you are not being entertained), is not the point of a game in the first place. I for one, pay money to have a fun game, to enjoy, not to be frustrated.

So the option is there, for people to use this tool to their advantage. This game has no multiplayer option so you are spoiling nobody's fun by your own if you see it like that. I know that for me anyway, by enhancing the game in such ways, makes it more fun, which means I'll play it more having customised it to my own enjoyment, which means the game is more popular and live longer in the long term. Isn't that the goal?

If you have the common sense and maturity to control your usage of these aids, in moderation and to your suitability, then there is a very high chance it will increase your enjoyment of the game. Of course if you don't know better, and have just purchased the game, and run the full options of the trainer before you even play the game properly, then that is of course not going to be good. It's just common sense.
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong SenDog, I think you've done a great job on this program and there are many features that people can use, such as the ship sailing speed.

I guess it was just a personal opinion, and each person who plays the game (like you mentioned) will enjoy different parts of the game. I also think that people should try the game out first before using your program. Again, just a personal opinion.

Anyway, like I said before, great work. Very Happy And I'm sure if you didn't do it, someone else would have.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Sen-Dog
Powder Monkey

459 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks buddy I appreciate it, no offence taken, in the end it comes down to common sense. That option is open for people, and yes I definitely endorse people playing the game normally first!

By the way, I've reposted your question and my answer on the ATP forum to save me retyping, hope you don't mind.

Last edited by Sen-Dog on Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all.

AKA. Will Scarlett.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: