Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Imported Flag and Sail Graphics
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sky
Swabbie

991 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how much stuff you all create out there Laughing , but I think the forum is not such a good place for collecting them.
At least it would be difficult to find something here in case you are searching for something special...?
Kokopelli
Swabbie

801 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sky wrote:
Creating modified flags and other game elements sounds interesting. I don't know if I will want to spend enough time for doing that on my own... so I wondered if anybody of you maybe already had the idea to collect such self-made Pirates! flags, logos, etc. and share them with others.

For me (and I guess also for others) that would be nice... Smile

Here is a good site for pirate and historical national flags. You'll have to resize them to 256x256 and save it as a .dds file, but that is easy.
DanTheHut
Powder Monkey

114 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imported a picture following the directions posted here. (thanks guys). and Now I have a flag and sail with an alpaca on them. All the Spanish Main now will tremble in fear when they see the approaching alpacas!
Kokopelli
Swabbie

801 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanTheHut wrote:
I imported a picture following the directions posted here. (thanks guys). and Now I have a flag and sail with an alpaca on them. All the Spanish Main now will tremble in fear when they see the approaching alpacas!

That has to the best flag/sail yet! I thought mine was ammusing with my crack-pipe smoking parrot. Laughing
DanTheHut
Powder Monkey

114 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post a screenshot of my Alpaca Vessel when I get home from work.. It's quite amazing
Kokopelli
Swabbie

801 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to do a screenshot of my sol flying a Rohhirrim flag. Also need to work on the sail.
Taé Shala
Powder Monkey

177 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sky wrote:
I don't know how much stuff you all create out there Laughing , but I think the forum is not such a good place for collecting them.
At least it would be difficult to find something here in case you are searching for something special...?

Look at the Civfanatics forum for graphic modpacks.

People are posting lots of stuff and there is a good sticky library so you can find mods fast.

I think People are posting so much because of all the positive feedback and so the game is getting better and better and better and better...
kokukitty
Powder Monkey

36 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Having trouble with the flag modification Reply with quote

I'm following the steps about using the dxtbmp tool and photoshop for creating a flag. The problem I'm having is that the flag shows up in the selection, but the picture below it shows another flag. In game, sometimes the flag is all black. Sometimes, it shows another flag.

Any ideas?
kokukitty
Powder Monkey

36 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Figured it out myself. In the DXTBMP tool, I had use 16 bit dither checked and that was the problem.

Can someone please supply me information on how to save alpha channels in Photoshop to use with the DXTBMP tool for creating flags. I know how to create alpha channels in Photoshop, but how do I save them to use with the DXTBMP tool.

If someone could post a step by step method on how to save in Photoshop, I would much appreciate it.

Thank you!
Civrules
Cutthroat

4032 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! This is pretty cool. I think Firaxis made it pretty easy for us to mod our ships. Very Happy

Here is an image I chose for my ship (the actual image is a space photo... Don't ask how a space image relates to a ship...)

It took me a few tries to get it, and now I've got to work to make a better image. Cool

[EDIT] Here's a slightly better one:

Last edited by Civrules on Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Civrules
Cutthroat

4032 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kokukitty wrote:
Oops. Figured it out myself. In the DXTBMP tool, I had use 16 bit dither checked and that was the problem.

Can someone please supply me information on how to save alpha channels in Photoshop to use with the DXTBMP tool for creating flags. I know how to create alpha channels in Photoshop, but how do I save them to use with the DXTBMP tool.

If someone could post a step by step method on how to save in Photoshop, I would much appreciate it.

Thank you!

I've not tried it. All I did was just edit the image a little bit (256, 24bit, etc)..
Wolfwood
Boatswain

33917 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my creation. Did not get a good image of it, but I guess you can see it anyway.

A tip for the alpha channel: leave even the areas that you intend to be visible slightly grey, so that the texture of the sail shows through.

Ok, I modded the emblem to be a bit larger in the following image. I don't really like the white border around the image, but this makes the wolfhead a bit more visible.

Civrules
Cutthroat

4032 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to work with this a bit more to master it. My sail is way too white compared to the rest...

Maybe I'll gather some images and make a sail pack or somethin'.
Bunnysays
Powder Monkey

397 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Easy emblem Reply with quote

I'm with sky on this. I didn't want to make a whole new emblem but just wanted something fun and easy. This is what I did.

I downloaded the program listed in the readme (AnyImage) and just opened one of the original flags in the game and adjusted that. Just open an original file and save it as a BMP with a new name. I just stuck my intials at the end of the name. Then mess with it in whatever program you use. I suppose you could just use MS Paint if you had to. Then use AnyImage to save it back as a DSS file. Very simple. Took me about 15 minutes.

I opened up the original pirate emblem and just erased the red ribbon and the heart thing at the top and the crossbones. Now it's just a skull and I stuck my character's initials in huge red letters to either side. Easy enough to do. Just used the eraser tool and made 2 huge big red letters. Now it's easy to see my ships from the others without having to zoom in.
And it's just sort of cool to see my big flag and initials every sea battle and at port.
PiratesFan
Rigger

23509 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got off my lazy behind and took my Avatar I am using and made it my pirate flag .... I have several copies of it and I used the 128x128 copy that I made and converted it to .dds and it looks great... I can't believe how easy that was. The Smiling Pirate with the eyepatch is the coy to make them think I am friendly ... Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: