Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Multiplayer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Favian
Powder Monkey

481 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: Multiplayer Reply with quote

Hi all,

I was thinking today about multiplayer and how to make it work. From what I've read about multiplayer capabilities on XBOX, it is drastically different from the PC version. Lots of different stuff happen. Anyway... I got to thinking how our modding community could implement multiplayer into this FANTASTIC game! Razz Well... my first problem when thinking about this was that there's a lot of stuff that you would have to change so that it's a human community rather than just a person going through an AI community doing their own thing. That's a lot of modding to do mind you! Then the idea hit me... well what if you didn't change anything in the game... but just added more human players? For example... hook up with 3 other friends of yours... or 5 even if you want with everyone playing for one country and the 5th being the pirate (I would expect that this would be the most difficult position since the pirate is ALWAYS at war with EVERYONE hehe.) Perhaps one slight mod would be made so that you could not attack anything that your country was at peace with? Not sure here... just throwing the idea out there. Anyway, the idea is that you are trying to help your country dominate the carribean by plundering all those ships that threaten your country while sacking your country's enemy cities and converting them to your own. I admit... the Caribbean is a huge place for only 5 people! Well... maybe not that big... but it's not really that small of a world either in my opinion. Smile (off the topic but I really would like to see a world map for this game! Razz) Is it possible at all to add multiplayer with mods or anything? Just throwing this question out there with some ideas on how to make it work without changing very much of the game in the process just to try to make it work. Any ideas or comments or opinions?
Avenstar
Swabbie

408 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: No Reply with quote

You cannot mod multiplayer into games built purely on single player in most games being developed today. It's not simply adding in another player or changing a few features. Games built to include multiplayer have to be built that way from the ground up. For a game like Pirates, I would assume that only small sections of the world are loaded as you sail around. Therefore, to have 2 ships sailing around in different areas would require the computers to load at minimum twice the area they previously had. Many game rules are also based on single player. Time passes based on a player's actions. When you dock, 2 weeks are added. When you go to jail, time speeds up. This concept simply does not work with two people. Jail/strandings could last hours for a player while the other sails around conquering the world. There's more, but I can't put it to words at the moment, and the previous arguements weren't even greatly stated, but the key point is: no, it cannot be done.

Best to just wait a few months for a pirate game built for multiplayer.
Willard
Powder Monkey

12 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Perhaps Reply with quote

The Civilization series wasn't originally multiplayer. True you can't change the basic frame work of the game through modding, but in this age of add-ons I think ol' Sid can conjure up a multiplayer version.
Perhaps something along the lines of Freelancer where players are on the same side. Or, perhaps something like Diablo where you can choose to run with the pack or PK.
Perhaps...
Pilo T
Swabbie

107 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: No Reply with quote

Avenstar wrote:
You cannot mod multiplayer into games built purely on single player in most games being developed today. It's not simply adding in another player or changing a few features. Games built to include multiplayer have to be built that way from the ground up. For a game like Pirates, I would assume that only small sections of the world are loaded as you sail around. Therefore, to have 2 ships sailing around in different areas would require the computers to load at minimum twice the area they previously had. Many game rules are also based on single player. Time passes based on a player's actions. When you dock, 2 weeks are added. When you go to jail, time speeds up. This concept simply does not work with two people. Jail/strandings could last hours for a player while the other sails around conquering the world. There's more, but I can't put it to words at the moment, and the previous arguements weren't even greatly stated, but the key point is: no, it cannot be done.

Best to just wait a few months for a pirate game built for multiplayer.

Not true. Morrowind, a game built on the same engine, has a multiplayer mod I just found out about the other day. It's a purely single player game but someone modded in multiplayer. I think it should be even simpler (not necessarily simpler to make, but simpler in concept) than Favian's idea. Just make it so it's 4 people playing the game with no additional rules (like not being able to attack a certain thing and everyone being on a different team). Then it could be just like Single Player only you'd go about as normal knowing that other people are around. Obviously only naval battles and boarding actions would be possible between 2 human players because meeting in taverns and stuff would be far too difficult, but if anyone here knows anything about coding, I think that'd be a wonderful idea.
bigchief
Seaman

5304 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been part of the Morrowind mod making community for over 2 years, and while I am not as active as I once was, I still keep up with things, and I can tell you that there is not a multi player mod. There never was one, and there never will be one.

People have been claiming they were working on one, or that they heard about one, or that they saw one, and everytime it turned out to be a lie. It is not possible with Morrowind, for the reason stated above. The game was not made for that, and the only way to do it would be to have an entire team of professional programmers working on it full time every day to reverse engineer the game, and redesign it from scratch.
Avenstar
Swabbie

408 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Morrowind Reply with quote

I also keep up with Morrowind, and have even designed a few mods for it. I update my collection of player created mods every couple weeks, and I have never seen a multiplayer mod, and I don't expect to. Modding using the Construction set is one thing, but basically hacking the game to force in multiplayer is totally different.

When multiplayer is hacked into single players games(GTA3 comes to mind), the results are incredibly unstable and very restricted. Even simple single players games cannot overcome these limitations. The original X-Com and Transport Tycoon, both of which have been around 10+ years, have had multiplayer attempts at them. X-Com multiplayer is limited to combat only on a scaled down map with reduced options. Transport Tycoon multiplayer cannot be played for more than 10 minutes without a crash.

Even if a programmer managed to get some form of multiplayer function into a single player game, what has he accomplished? Let's take multiplayer Morrowind for example. Any incarnation of multiplayer in that game would have to have some rediculous restrictions when playing, not to mention being inherently unstable, as that is a given in any forced multiplayer. So why play a buggy multiplayer version of a single player game when you can play any number of comperable stable multiplayer games already on the market?
Trajanus
Powder Monkey

269 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So why play a buggy multiplayer version of a single player game when you can play any number of comperable stable multiplayer games already on the market?

So wait. . . point me to the multiplayer pirate games! (and you'd better not say Pirates of the Caribbean *shakes fist* Very Happy )
watson42467
Cutthroat

573 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the stuff going on with atari, who knows what we'll see.
Emmerson
Swabbie

1743 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trajanus wrote:

So wait. . . point me to the multiplayer pirate games! (and you'd better not say Pirates of the Caribbean *shakes fist* Very Happy )

Puzzle Pirates!, coming later this year from Ubisoft! Already available in Germany under the very fierce moniker:

*ducks*
Trajanus
Powder Monkey

269 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Puzzle Pirates!, coming later this year from Ubisoft! Already available in Germany under the very fierce moniker:

Yohoho! Puzzle Piraten!!! Laughing

*ducks*

I vote we walk him off the plank this instant! Razz

The sad thing is that I've been suckered by that stupid puzzle game before. Trying to google things about Pirates! and I saw that and was intrigued;

"Online pirate game eh?"

*Clicks*

"For the love of-! A puzzle game by Yahoo?!"

*Scrambles to close browser* Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: