Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

[WIP] The War at Home - 17th Century Europe
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardacostas
Gunner

10056 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt this something! Keep up with the screens Smile
Guardacostas
Gunner

10056 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to add the western coast of africa? or even a scaled down carribean? By scaled down i mean it won't be like in the vanilla game, it's shairing the map and space with europe and the atlantic ocean so it would be a much smaller carribean map
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14671 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the interest and comments! Always good to know there are people using the content we're making here. Hmm, now you've got me thinking I should have included areas around Guinea-Bissau that held European forts in that era, but going all the way down to West Africa like that would stretch the map and make everything else smaller (with the knock-on effect of making certain passages and straits harder to navigate, and islands like Jersey no longer large enough to hold a city you can march to). An entire world map would be cool but have similar issues, although you could expand the passages in Photoshop/gimp before running jlangsdo's scripts.

There's definitely room for a future mod centred around Africa and extending to Oman and the west coast of India, part of the old pirate round. We can ignore timelines/eras at that point and just add whatever ports look cool.
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to look into customizing maplabel.dta to keep those labels from stacking up.
Guardacostas
Gunner

10056 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themodelcitizen wrote:
Cheers for the interest and comments! Always good to know there are people using the content we're making here. Hmm, now you've got me thinking I should have included areas around Guinea-Bissau that held European forts in that era, but going all the way down to West Africa like that would stretch the map and make everything else smaller (with the knock-on effect of making certain passages and straits harder to navigate, and islands like Jersey no longer large enough to hold a city you can march to). An entire world map would be cool but have similar issues, although you could expand the passages in Photoshop/gimp before running jlangsdo's scripts.

There's definitely room for a future mod centred around Africa and extending to Oman and the west coast of India, part of the old pirate round. We can ignore timelines/eras at that point and just add whatever ports look cool.

No problem for the feedback. THis European map is allready made, i would just keep what it is and work with that. DOn't force yourself to do too muclh. Would you be interested in including mediterranean franch and spain? That would be interesting. This set up is like the zones of control set up in the PR series, it works well i find

Would you want to widen the straties of malacca in the EIM? You were saying larger ships have a hard time sailign through
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could add bikini teams along the coastlines handing out cold beer then we will be parked more than sailing.
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14671 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlangsdo wrote:
You might want to look into customizing maplabel.dta to keep those labels from stacking up.

Figuring out maplabel is definitely on my list, I recall you saying in an old thread that it was all 44 cities in order, with sets of 4-byte entries for each map size (caribbeanmap6 etc). Do you recall which entries were angle/size and what the size range was? Last time I tried to figure it out I got even more confused, but will play around with it later

Guarda, the western Mediterranean ports are being added, Spain and France will dominate the area and the game has figured out how to send ships through the strait of Gibraltar from what I can see. Rejigging the East Indies map is tricky, I likely can't yet scale the mountains and surfaces quite as well as the original by jlangsdo years ago so it would look a bit funny even with the widened straits.
Guardacostas
Gunner

10056 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its ok EIM is nigh on perfect to me. Just OCDing don't mind me. And good luck with this new project Very Happy
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost done with my spreadsheet script, which will make this super easy to manage.

maplabel.dta has 24 columns, each with 44 cities. Confusingly, it lists the values for all 44 cities for each column, before going to the next column (I would have listed the 24 attributes for one city at a time).

The first 12 columns are X offset (for each zoom), Y offset (for each zoom), Magnification/Font (for each zoom), and Orientation(for each zoom).... and then it repeats those 12 for the Icons. All of the values are 4-byte integers, with least significant byte first.

The Orientation is measured in degrees counterclockwise from horizontal.

There are a few cities whose Orientation change as you zoom the map in and out, like Grand Bahama. Having lots of different orientations for different city labels is part of what makes the map look so cool.
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14671 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, I need to fix the maplabel for my other mods like Louisiana/Belize/Guayana/Bermuda and the Dutch cities too.

Do you recall what more of the the city's entry in the exe represents? Say, Amboyna, which I now have as:

A9 01 00 00 6F 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 03 0C 08 02 01 00 00 00 23 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 11 11 01 00

Obviously the 'X' coordinate is A9 01 00 00, although cityloc (coordinate x1000) seems to override this.

'Y' coordinate: 6F 00 00 00

Has port (02 or 06 for yes, 00 for no): 02 00 00 00

Flag (00 is Spain, 01 is England etc): 03

Range: 0C 08 (is this shooting range? Growth range? Trade goods?)

Size/importance: 02 01 00 (02, 03 and even 04 for most important? Not sure what the latter two numbers are?)

range2 (? seems to affect trade goods?): 00 00 23

bunch of zeros: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

eras (11 for both listed eras, 10 for just the former, 01 for just the latter):
1660/80: 11
1640/20: 11
1600: 01

zero?: 00
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14671 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beta is up here, the more testers the better
fleetp
Boatswain

36119 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the Beta yesterday. Today I'll back up[ my custom files and install the Beta. I hope to play some late today.
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I would love to play it but haven’t downloaded it yet or even been on the laptop. It’s kinda like being in a hostile environment where you just can’t do anything. Kinda like being at work all the time with a boss looking over your shoulders and here you are modding SMP when you are suppose to be getting that report wrote up and out to a customer. Before I had all my free time outside of my job to play with the game and now I’m stuck with a mod I really don’t have time to deal with. Jinglangsdo gave a detailed report of what he found. I would certainly trust his observations and I’ve no doubt it’s going to be a good mod in the end and probably a decent one as it is. Even the OG isn’t perfect so no mods will be either but your doing a great job.
themodelcitizen
Gunner

14671 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks me hearties! No worries P, I definitely know the feeling of being distracted by modding when I should be working (especially from home now with my gaming laptop beckoning me over). No worries if you don't have time to test it out. Bookstore with family sounds like a good time too
Pirate
Helmsman

109759 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I’m at Barns & Noble. It’s a double decker meaning it has two floors. I took my oldest daughter here because she loves reading Japanese Manga . I was setting here playing 8 ball pool on my phone and looked and saw this young lady climbing upstairs in a mini skirt so hey that was fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: