Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

Keeping it Historical
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Keeping it Historical Reply with quote

It's a good thing I have a strong imagination and don't mind at all about using fictional names or places for that matter but since the game has different eras representing the pirates of the Caribbean then why do we fight the same pirates in all the different eras. Does Jean Lafitte and Henry Morgan go in the same era? Imagine how old you really would have to be in order to get a piece of Jean Lafitte after whipping Henry Morgan. Heck does Jean Lafitte even fit in the 1680 era? Heck no. Heck they couldn't even get the ranking system correct. Somebody tell me how Stede Bonnet would be ranked higher on the totem pole than Bart Roberts. Changing Pirates around would be easy but I can't think of a way to change different pirates for different eras. I guess I will just put ole Jack Sparrow and Hector Barbossa and some other cool pirates in my game since it doesn't have a realistic feel too it anyway. Have fun modding folks, I am.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dude ! Nobody cares what you think about the pirates in the game. What difference does it make. it is just a game you idiot. Be real and quit complaining. Opps. Sorry self. I just realized I was responding to my own post. What a idiot I am. Probably never happed to the rest of you but oh well it was good practice and nobody was offended except me. Smile
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wouldn't mind having the ahistorical pirates removed, but we'd have to come up with other pirates to put in their place. What nine pirates would you have in each era?
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Pirates Reply with quote

Well I am the most familiar with the so called Golden age of Piracy or what many people refer as the golden age of piracy. This is more the time line Blackbeard, Calico Jack, Bart Roberts, Stede the land lubber Bonnet. sailed in. It was a time when if you were a pirate with one nation you were a pirate to all. No more letter of marques were issued in this period but sometimes you can get a pardon from a nations governor by putting your x on a piece of paper stating you quit piracy. Spain hated pirates the most and I doubt very many if any received a pardon. Henry Morgan on the other hand sailed before them. He was not considered a pirate with England. He was a hero to England and a pirate with Spain. In fact if I am not mistaken he was still governor of Jamaica when passed away. He never raided any English ships and his crow was with Spain so no English governor is going to give you a promotion for demise but instead you probably would have been hung by the English for killing their hero. I could help do so research on pirates of different eras. Not sure how to change pirates in different eras except the old fashioned way, by hand. We would have to still use the 9 pirates already in the game plus we also would have the first mate who makes a great pirate. To make it better we would need somebody who can do textures or we will just be fighting the same ole same ole with different names. I can do some texture modding but I'm a preschooler painting the house if you know what I mean.
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Pirates Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
To make it better we would need somebody who can do textures or we will just be fighting the same ole same ole with different names.
Yep, I could probably mod the game to have different pirates in different eras, but that would just be their names and stats, not the graphics. :-P (There's way too much hardcoded logic in the game for the top pirate graphics...)
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as I was saying in another post. I got blackbeard to use the var. texture using the hex. The texture part may not be so difficult after all except I can't paint worth a darn. I thought I tried this once and it did not work but what happened then I couldn't tell you. It has been a while since that took place. I think I might have used the nif scope which allows you to rename textures. Heck it could have been me I might not have saved it so it reverted back but I don't think so. I pretty good about going back to check for boo boos if something doesn't turn out the way I planned. Anyway basically I know a hard way to do everything. First get names the edit the new names in the pirates piratenames_enu text file. Skip the first one it's you. next thing you might want to think about is giving them correct ship names. This can be done in the shipnames_enu text file under the Pirates warship section. The edit part the dog can do the research could take longer than everything else. Pirates shipnames don't always show up on the same page and sometimes those ships can be tough to find and even impossible but could go with a different dude and ship if needed or use a made up ship if we have to resort to that. next is we will be pretty much forced to use the pirates the game already has unless its starts snowing in h_ _ _ and a nif boy arrives. Simple way of making them different is reskin them. Just take the main skin usually a 512 skin or something like that or the various skin and repaint them. keep them named the 512 skin with the original game pirates name and not the new name your giving him. Dump all this which really isn't much into a folder called a 1660 era or something like that and put it in the assets folder. Make a new folder with different names skins blah blah blah and when you finish one era take it out of the assets and place in the new. Now for a one time dump and go set up for all eras without dragging in and out those files well to put it simple it beats me. a mod manger of some sort maybe but really wouldn't be all that necessary. Must folks can swap out folders and it's not really like you can play all eras at once anyway. Right?
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it wouldn't be too hard to mod the game so it'd load piratenames1.enu through piratenames5.enu depending on the era, and also swap out their ship types and ship names. But I remember you said in another thread that there are like 200 graphics files just for Blackbeard, so it'd be too much work to mod every one of those 200+ locations in the exe to change based on the era. So I think swapping out folders is the only reasonable way. :-)
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops I forgot the ranking system. I can believe that though. Might be why I married a girl who doesn't go for the butcher knife if you forget her birthday, wedding day, Christmas present, Valentines blah blah blah but I just can't forget the kids. Darn almost had it made. They are in order the pirates name text file I talked about earlier. The tricky part is if you say we wanted to make jack rackum the number one pirate. Lets at the moment pretend he will be called jack sparrow. name the ship Black Pearl. easy right? not so fast pilgrim. Yeah you can put jacks name in the first spot where ole henry once ruled the roost. The number one ship spot would be Henrys ship in the pirates warship section in the shipnames text and that part is done. Yeah we can go home now right boss? Not so fast sonny. If you want to use rackums character as well then you only have about two hundred actually around 212 216 files to rename from rackum to morgan . Might could get away with less but I always renamed all of them. Usally renaming the nif file leaves you a goofy looking blackbeard on lsd or something. eyes can be shut and teeth are known to stick out and all kinds of weirdy's doing it this way. name them all and you'll be in business.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if the ranking pirates can be swapped out in the Pirates!exe or not. Anyway I could rename them. yeah it takes a while but renameing is all your doing or we could leave them in the order they are in just change Ships and names with Sir Frances Drake looking like henry Morgan. next hagger the horrible looking like Blackbeard and on down the line. No texture files need renamed this way. New skins would be nice but that is out of my skill set. What do you think?
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I'm not 100% sure what you want to accomplish, but the ship types, names, and stats for the top pirates can be changed in the exe. It's not as easy as editing some strings and numbers - new code would need to be written - but I don't judge it as particularly difficult.

Of course, as you mentioned, the graphics are based on the ID, so unless you rename all the files, the top pirate will always look like Henry Morgan, etc. That's also changeable within the .exe in theory, but it would be a ridiculously large amount of work, so it's impractical.
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simpler way to approach this would be to decide that you were going to make a mod for a particular era (1660s) and then package up a conventional mod to rename pirates, rename their ships, and then perhaps add some new skins. Then you will have a nice "Historical 1660s" mod, with no executable hacking required.

Small changes to skins are really not that hard; you need a program like Aorta to convert dds files to png and back, then just use a graphics editor to mess with the png file.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like the most practical way of doing it is with the folder swap thing for each era. I like the idea of changing the ship out in the .exe but again I think that would require a new .exe for each era. Of course I am fine with that I am just gathering opinions. It would be far easier to leave the top ten characters in the order they are in. There would be no graphic files to rename at all. One simple texture file for the pirate can be painted so he looks a bit different in each era. If we start swapping out henry morgans for jack rackums we will end up renaming tons of files and creating a large download for everybody. Be about like downloading the whole game again.
How do you think?
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
I like the idea of changing the ship out in the .exe but again I think that would require a new .exe for each era.
Actually, the .exe can be reprogrammed to change ships out dynamically based on the era, so you'd only need one.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Cool Reply with quote

That's great. I like the idea of changing ships. I would say it won't be practical to redo the ranking order of the pirate characters. If there is any of them that nobody likes much then we could perhaps replace him with the first mate. perhaps some new skins , different names, diffrent ship classes might be good enough.
jlangsdo
Cutthroat

10932 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, have you found the patch thread? For most exe data changes, you can post a small patch and let people patch their own exe files - this makes your change work on Macs as well as Windows boxes. Also, some have said that it is bad form to post an exe (even a modded one), because it is closer to giving away the game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: