Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

realistic cannonball speeds
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I can get around the dolphin part. Most games have their little flaws. I was just afraid I might get knocked down by one looking for treasure or the lost wily wench who use to be called a sister until I renamed her Smile So far I haven't got blown out of the water yet except that first time when I was playing around. I am getting better but still do some missing with those new speedy guns. At times they seem to shoot way over the ships and at times they seem straight. Most of the time when I do connect it isn't a full connection meaning that more cannons than not missed their mark. Been using sloops in the Rogue mode and since cannons back in the days were slow to reload I can't see it being to difficult for anybody to play with the modd. The biggest thing is getting use to firing those things and connecting with them. Often I never fire my cannons anyway so the ship will be worth more money and usally when I do fire them it is to try to slow one down I think will get away from me. Montalban though it is always best if you can level off some of his men but be careful he might level off some of yours as well.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody else getting any high shots with the normal cannons? Or is it that me. The ole lady always said you stink so that might be my problem.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this mod is not as tough as I thought it might be. To be honest I fared pretty good except for the first time and only then against a flag galleon while I was firing away with those cannons and ran out of ship first. After that though I did pretty good. The shots seem to be aimed a bit high and I think the computer controlled ships are shooting a little off too. Now when I say this I am not knocking anybody's work. You did great. Far better than anything I have done. I am curious as to what others will say about this experience but some reason I am the one with the big mouth so far. No doubt they must be testing them well and will be reporting soon.
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
Anybody else getting any high shots with the normal cannons? Or is it that me.
I mentioned in the announcement for the beta version that I made the crew aim the guns a bit higher but that it was possible I made it too high. You might try Pirates-10x from the alpha version (also on page 2 of this thread) to compare and see if it's better or worse...

Last edited by AdamMil on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:11 am; edited 2 times in total
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
I think this mod is not as tough as I thought it might be.
Yeah, I was pleased with how it didn't completely unbalance the game. But it does force you to put a bit more thought into your approach if you don't want to take damage, and to not blindly bag every warship that comes by just because it's so easy. :-)
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty hang on tighty me twill see's if I'sn can survive the regular 10x. Would be nice if we did a comparison fer ya wouldn't it.
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
Alrighty hang on tighty me twill see's if I'sn can survive the regular 10x. Would be nice if we did a comparison fer ya wouldn't it.
With the alpha version, it seemed to miss a lot, especially the AI, because the cannonballs hit the water. (I think. They move too fast for me to really tell.) So it should be easier. :-P
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Beta version I think they aim is too high but that's just me and to someone else it may be just right. One thing about chain shot is that it has a short range. All it really is two cannonballs hooked together either by chain or in some cases maybe by rods and it had a rotating twirling effect that was very problematic for a enemy's sails. It can take down the masts in all but you have to get in close or your going to either be hitting the water or the ship instead of the sails. cannonballs shot a lot further and penetrated better. Pirates used grapeshot to rake the decks and chain shot more often than cannon balls because they were thieves and not the navy. You can't loot or plunder a ship you sank. Often they would pick off the helmsman with like a sharpshooter so as to make the enemy ship without steering and no doubt it would be caught and boarded without the ship being able to turn it's broadsides on them. Scare tactics were perhaps a pirates real advantage. If you are to scared to fight then you probably won't. Surprise too was the best way to get in close. Key was to spot a ship without it spotting you and then sneak in after dark and be waiting near them at first light. Anyway thanks for reading all my rambling. Might as well start writing books since I like it so much. Off to the Alpha mod. See ya scurvy dog.

Ps I too think 10x maybe faster than the ships damage recording causing less damage then it should have.
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
Pirates...
Interesting read. :-)

Pirate wrote:
Ps I too think 10x maybe faster than the ships damage recording causing less damage then it should have.
Yes, I believe so as well. That's why 5x alpha is more deadly than 10x alpha! But as long as it feels balanced (between player and AI) and fun then I think it's okay...
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alpha 10x in some ways I think is better than the other 10x's. Again nothing personal against anybody who chooses different from my ole crazy arse. Range seems to pick up when it goes faster. The rise in drop feature may be needing more modding. The faster the flatter it should shoot. Slower and heavier and even the kind of gun it is will determine how high the arc should be. A mortar for instance would require more gunnery skill to hit something than a long barreled cannon would. Be like playing basketball you would lob it in rather than throwing it or something like that. By nature Chain shot is less accurate with two balls instead of one. it is slower so your going to really aim higher the further the way it is. In this modd I found it pretty mean a super close range which means the balls are rising higher but not risen enough to over shoot. Still shoots to high at normal distances causing misses and very deadly at ranges it should have hit the water. I mean I was knocking dead center when ithe game said I was out of range. Overall folks not trying to step on any toes because I rather be friends than enemies but I like this one the best. Still have the 5x yet to go. sorry I yak to much.
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
The alpha 10x in some ways I think is better than the other 10x's... sorry I yak to much.
No problem at all. Thanks for trying it out. :-) Maybe I'll adjust the guns down somewhere in between the alpha and beta levels. Or, if you know how to use the cheat engine, I can give you the offset and you can play with the value yourself and see what number feels best. Don't feel obligated, though!

It's at address 4AB6C6, and it's one byte (not 4 bytes). The value in beta is 4. This only works in beta or later, but to get the alpha behavior you can set it to zero. Higher numbers give extra elevation to the guns, giving the shot greater height and range.

If you just use a hex editor, it's at offset AB6C6 in the .exe file, but it's nicer to be able to change it while playing.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5x was interesting too. Less misses at medium rage. AI was a bit meaner which leads to the possibility of losing you boat a step above the others. I did get sunk twice but I could have avoided it. I wasn't testing my seamanship just my shooting. overall they all are worth trying folks. They bring a different, different to the game. The worse thing is it takes a bit of practice for aiming. a tad to much leading and you shoot in front. Ranges can be tricky too but a few shots is all it takes to see if it is shooting to high. drop back a bit and try again or let him in closer before the arc is to high. Still easy enough. I dare say most of you will win some battles even on the first try but me ole me recommend fighting navy style at first just duke it out until one of you are gone. Helps with the learning shooting curve. Which one did I like the best? I think I will go with the 10x alpha with the 5x close behind. I really liked both but that mail runner or war canoe ain't as safe as it thinks it is when your screen says your outta range.
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
Which one did I like the best? I think I will go with the 10x alpha with the 5x close behind.
Thanks for the testing, Pirate! I think I'll adjust the guns down closer to the alpha version and release that as the final version, unless anyone else has something to say!
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just that I really wanted to help test this, but last night I found that my computer's powercord had busted a wire. By the time I got my homework done the battery was dead. Oh well, maybe next time.
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Teague wrote:
Just that I really wanted to help test this, but... maybe next time.
Well, you still can. :-) I haven't finalized it yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: