Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

"Fluyt for a Flagship" rules - HoP's 1st Official
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tavern Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luiz
Cutthroat

2182 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finaly got My West Indian !! I can use it instead of the Fluyt ? Shocked
Quinton
Powder Monkey

325 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A West Indianman is classified as a fluyt. So you can use a West Indanman. Enjoy the extra cargo space! You'll need it for all those wonderful wonderful trading goods! Confused
Tom Pullings
Gunner

11279 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Use of non-Fluyt craft outside of combat Reply with quote

Thanks Don. That's the way I read the rules at the beginning also. But Quinton has a point. It is an advantage in getting around to switch from a Fluyt to something faster (it's also an advantage in catching a target and getting in postion pre-battle). And Airsaw's original post did say something about a Fluyt to "pirate in" as well as the "all combat" rule that I focused on.

Might be worth getting clear though, while there is still a good bit of time left in the challenge. I'm ok whichever way it goes (after all, the whole idea is so perverse that starting over would be fitting in a masochistic sort of way), but I expect there may be others that took my approach.

Confused
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting bit of info from Wiki:

A fluyt or a flute (IPA: [flœt:]) is a type of sailing vessel originally designed as a dedicated cargo vessel. Originating from the Netherlands in the 16th Century, the vessel was designed to facilitate transoceanic delivery with the maximum of space and crew efficiency. To that end, the standard design minimized or completely eliminated its armaments to maximize available cargo space, and used block and tackle extensively to facilitate ship operations. This ship class was credited in enhancing Dutch competitiveness in international trade, and was widely employed by the Dutch East India Company in the 17th and 18th centuries.

The design of fluyts was largely similar to that of the early galleons. This pear-shaped vessel had a large cargo bay near the waterline and relatively narrow deck above. This was a way to avoid high taxes collected by Denmark in the Oresund, which was assessed based on area of the main deck. Masts were much higher than those of galleons to allow for greater speed. At times fluyts were also armed and served as auxiliary vessels, which was a common practice in the Baltic Sea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We Are the Pirates Who Sail in Fluyts

We are the pirates who sail in fluyts
Wearing skivvies and knee high boots
We crawl the high seas along trade routes
To capture merchants with lots of loot

Sailing's painful; that point is moot
When we turn, it's not acute
Slow and steady is our repute
Like a turtle in hot pursuit

We're on the trail of lots of gold
When we find it, we'll be quite old
Sure we're stupid, but hey, we're bold
That's the story that we'd like told

We are the pirates who sail in fluyts
Wearing skivvies and knee high boots
We crawl the high seas along trade routes
To capture merchants with lots of loot

We capture merchants with lots of loot
We are the pirates who sail in fluyts!

;o) TheDon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo! Well-written, indeed!
Gunner

11279 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True poetry. Worthy of Monty Python.
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Pullings wrote:
True poetry. Worthy of Monty Python.

Whoa! Now THAT's a compliment!
Quinton
Powder Monkey

325 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have officially completed this challenge since I started the challenge way earlier then all of you. Strangely I have yet to recieve confirmation from Airsaw himself so might as well post on this fourm. That means that you all now have some sort of score to beat. I'm pretty sure you can all get more gold then me. At least I have a fame point advantage.

Screenshot here

I really wish I had some great strategy or ledgendary story to tell about these results. Thing is I really really do not. The challenge started out horribly but once I got a bunch of upgrades to the old Fluyt everything else was smooth sailing. All I did was attack the English constantly since they were very unpopular and do the requirements for the rest of my fame points. All ship battles were just attempts to board a ship with the occasional grape shot.

I can at least say that during the course of the game I was able to capture two Ships of the Line (ironicly that was my very first Ship of the Line capture) and captured Port Royale for the Dutch (slightly more then 200 soldiers!? HA!)

My crew was so unflinchingly happy that I could continue the game and have a 100+ ghost pirate roaming the seas but that would be a bit unfair. regardless of how cool it sounds.

Overall I actually found the challenge quite boring. The only requirement was sailing a fluyt and I really didn't have predefined goals or a story line made up by myself to work with, except to get a lot of gold. I'm thinking I could go for true torture and attempt the True Pirate challenge with a Fluyt but I think I've had enough with that old slug of a ship.
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quinton! I got your e-mail! It's the first week of November! I don't know if you'll make a HIGH score if you've called it "quits" so early. Whattabout those 90-year olds that will be checking in at the end of December? This wasn't a "first one in wins" proposition! Very Happy
Powder Monkey

325 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think there would be people out there with that couldn't play as much and thought it was only fair to end early to give others a chance. Since no one seems to have any objections I guess I'll play around with the ghost pirate of fluytish doom and mostly capture wanted criminals assigned by the characters wife. Tis a shame that I made Port Royale Dutch though. I really liked the English ships I would get as I traveled to Havana or Santiago.
Gunner

11279 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quinton: great logo!

Airsaw: I kinda miss the old avatar.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

temporary technical glitch...sorry, and THANKS! I like it, too. Surprised
Powder Monkey

743 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say this really is a challenge. I had been playing the game for a while now up to adventurer level and beginning to think it wasn't quite as interesting as it used to be. I had just decided to move up to Rogue when I found this place at the same time and decided to try this challenge. Whew! I have to say that for my first game on Rogue, I don't know if I am up to it, but I am going to keep trying.
Sailor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: