Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

"Fluyt for a Flagship" rules - HoP's 1st Official
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tavern Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luiz wrote:
I will try a game using the Fluyt and see how it goes.
What year did you start and what rank ? Journeyman ?
Smooth Sailing
Excellent. The more the better... Read the first post for the rules... 1660, Rogue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Quinton
Powder Monkey

325 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Swashbuckler difficulty is allowed if you're enjoy pain like me. I still stuck with 1660 starting year since I see the more practical purposes of keeping the starting year at that date.

I have also noticed that I am the only person doing this challenge that does not primarily attack Spanish shipping. If these people can actually find good non-spanish ports to sell of all that spice and sugar then I'm doomed.

I guess it's nice that there is actual competion now. 2nd and 3rd place sound nice right about now...
Luiz
Cutthroat

2182 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I started the game last night as an English rogue. Took out 2 sloops. Shocked Unfortunately they were both Spanish . Guns Blazing Then took out a Military payroll war galeon. That was enough to go back to St. Martin To get my first promo. Then after selling both sloops , I kept the galleon and was going South to Antigua, where I started the game from but encountered a French Merchantman. Sorry but it is the slowest I have encountered so far. Although Ebgland is at war with Spain and France, I was not allowed into St. Kitts for taking a the Frencj Merchantman in front of the port , so, I returned to St. Martin for my second Dutch Promo. I have 1,000 gold for my head from France and 2,000 gold from Spain.
I have stocked up with food, upgraded with copper plaiting and bronze cannons. I have 98 crew and will head South to plunder the Central American coast. Will
Luiz
Cutthroat

2182 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will see if I can find a Fluyt Coming out of Coracão on my way across the Americas from East to West. I will try to Find a Fluyt or Large Fluyt or West Indiaman. Duelling Smooth Sailing I will keep you posted Airsaw Wink
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out by attacking everything BUT Spanish shipping for the first part of the game... until I reached the rank of Spanish Lord (or whatever the top rank is in your version). THEN I started attacking just as many Spanish ships (and TREASURE SHIPS, especially) as anything else. As long as I attack whoever is at war with Spain as often as I attack Spain, I can still get into Spanish ports.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Luiz
Cutthroat

2182 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to take ports of the enemies of both France and Spain, so that They can take away the price on my head. Shocked
Another way I can do it is to pick up immigrants from the monks and take them to the ports to receice amnesty from them. Wink
Maybe I should take out some English ships on the way down to Trinidad ?
I have 2/4 parts of a treasure map which I hope I can find soon.
I think if you attack pirate ships you are more likely to fence your way out instead of getting shot to pieces. they come straight for you, sometimes without firing a shot . Duelling
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it happened. I spotted Montalban's Flag Galleon leaving Campeche as I was heading towards it. I knew I'd never catch him in the Shue Bocks, so I didn't worry about him much. I took care of business in Campeche (even danced with my future wife... what a beauty! Arrrr!), then headed to Villa Hermosa where there was a criminal to catch and a Lost City to find.

Montalban had taken to port in Villa Hermosa, however, so he headed straight towards me as I was heading west. I had a good wind at my back, so I engaged him. I managed to fire off one round, then dodge his first volley. I headed in to him at full sail, taking a full load of round shot, but boarding him before he could get off another round.

The swordfight was tough... tougher than I remember him being. I backed him up the stairs twice, then he pushed me back just one hit shy of losing it all. I somehow managed to recover, however, and beat him back up the stairs again. There must be something magical about those stairs, because everytime he goes up them he gets an extra dose of speed. He knocked me back down the stairs and I pushed him back. We went up and down the stairs FOUR MORE TIMES before I finally got the better of him and watched him swimming with the sharks. Stupid map piece didn't do much good, either.

I started out with a full contingent of 225 men... ended the fight with 130. Not as bad as it could have been, but it sure makes me nervous about the NEXT time we might meet.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
I have begun this sick challenge with the intrepid captain Montalban, a distant black-sheep cousin of the evil spaniard who runs around the Caribbean being evil. My first capture was a French merchantman, which I sailed for some time before being presented with a nice French East Indiaman loaded with lots of gold and goodies. I took possession of same and promptly renamed her "Shue Bocks".

An East Indiaman is not a Fluyt; it's a Merchantman. (The West Indiaman is a Fluyt.)

I don't think the French sail Fluyts of any kind. And you couldn't get a crew of 225 on a West Indiaman, even with Triple Hammocks.
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
TheDon wrote:
I have begun this sick challenge with the intrepid captain Montalban, a distant black-sheep cousin of the evil spaniard who runs around the Caribbean being evil. My first capture was a French merchantman, which I sailed for some time before being presented with a nice French East Indiaman loaded with lots of gold and goodies. I took possession of same and promptly renamed her "Shue Bocks".

An East Indiaman is not a Fluyt; it's a Merchantman. (The West Indiaman is a Fluyt.)

I don't think the French sail Fluyts of any kind. And you couldn't get a crew of 225 on a West Indiaman, even with Triple Hammocks.

Well shut my mouth. I guess I looked at all the merchant ships pretty much the same.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
The swordfight was tough... tougher than I remember him being. I backed him up the stairs twice, then he pushed me back just one hit shy of losing it all. I somehow managed to recover, however, and beat him back up the stairs again. There must be something magical about those stairs, because everytime he goes up them he gets an extra dose of speed. He knocked me back down the stairs and I pushed him back. We went up and down the stairs FOUR MORE TIMES before I finally got the better of him and watched him swimming with the sharks.

I have definitely noticed that my opponents get some sort of bonus (or I suffer a penalty) right after I chase them up the stairs. This game of running up and down the stairs seems to happen to me a lot. I don't lose sword fights very often when boarding, but when I do this is invariably the place where I lose control of the fight.
Luiz
Cutthroat

2182 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use 5 when your oponent attacks. In this way you block 95% of their attack. Once you have compsure you can resume your attack. Cool
Running up the stairs gives no one points. Wait until you both stand still before you decide where to 7 or 4 or 1. if in doubt use 5. I hope it makes some sense Shocked When they use 7 and 1 you can use 4 and you will score points. when they use 4 you can use 5 quickly followed by 4.
try it . I am sure there are better ways but i started this way Duelling
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'm going to have to start all over on this so I can get my ships straight.
Tom Pullings
Gunner

11279 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Combat or everything? Reply with quote

Speaking of keeping ships straight . . . I started awhile ago, and have done all combat in a Large Fluyt or West Indiaman (except for my first attack in a Sloop to get the cursed Large Fluyt, the Abysmal Lubber), BUT I have other ships in my fleet (including a French SOTL captured by the foolish and very lucky West Indiaman Blundering Doom - don't think that would have happended on swash!) and often change my flag when not in combat. Is this legit? I thought so when I first read the rules, but now I'm not so sure. Tell me I don't need to start over (the horror, the horror). Shocked
Quinton
Powder Monkey

325 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Combat or everything? Reply with quote

Quote:
(You don't have to do the entire challenge in one ship as long as the ship you use is a fluyt of some sort.)

You should not worry about having multiple ships in a fleet at all.

Not sure about changing the flag ship out of battle though. In my opinion it ruins one of the points of this challenge which is to be a slow bulky ship but that would be unfair if you had to start all over for that.

Quote:
(including a French SOTL captured by the foolish and very lucky West Indiaman Blundering Doom - don't think that would have happended on swash!)

CoughcougIcapturedtwosotlsonswashdoingthischallengecoughcough[/quote]
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Combat or everything? Reply with quote

Tom Pullings wrote:
Speaking of keeping ships straight . . . I started awhile ago, and have done all combat in a Large Fluyt or West Indiaman (except for my first attack in a Sloop to get the cursed Large Fluyt, the Abysmal Lubber), BUT I have other ships in my fleet (including a French SOTL captured by the foolish and very lucky West Indiaman Blundering Doom - don't think that would have happended on swash!) and often change my flag when not in combat. Is this legit? I thought so when I first read the rules, but now I'm not so sure. Tell me I don't need to start over (the horror, the horror). Shocked

The rules stipulate that ALL COMBAT must be done in a fluyt. If the rules dont' say otherwise, it's legit.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: