Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

"Fluyt for a Flagship" rules - HoP's 1st Official
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tavern Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Pullings
Gunner

11279 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Retire when you think you have won? Reply with quote

Overall, this sounds like a really sick idea. So I'll probably have to try it. But I'd vote for a mandatory retirement age. Bad enough we be sailing Fluyts, but for three months? - ye could be like 900 years old - if ye don't go insane first. Twisted Evil

Lots of possible special categories - gold plundered; ships captured; SOTL captured?? Shocked Question
SoxSexSax
Powder Monkey

23 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, long time lurker, 1st time poster (like you couldn't have worked that out from my join date/post count...)

This sounds like a great challenge and I'm definitely up for it. One question though: retire when we feel we've won? Seems to me like someone who finds this challenge in December will have no chance of winning...someone could already have amassed a million gcs and still be going strong. I think a retirement age would be fairer.

Still, either way, I'm definitely giving it a go. Arghhhhh!
Falconer
Captain

2865 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubtful. Remember that you -do- grow old. Smile

So that's basically the delimiter for the game. Within your lifespan, you can do whatever you want for as long as you want. If you feel you have reached your peak early, then you can quit.
Sok
Powder Monkey

120 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to be a pain in the ass, but I still don't know what to focus on in my (slightly annoying) flagship, the "Useless Heap O' Junk". Do I want to be a well-rounded pirate person, a dashing knave, a heartless brute, or something else entirely?

Long story short, what will the winner be decided on?

I'm off to Vera Cruz, this could take some time... Sailor
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, great, you make a competition now so I can't participate? You scaredy cowards, I'd have beaten yer runny little noses anyday! Just you wait for when I get back and I'll show ye how to do it.

Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To win, you win. You take your results, I take mine, we put them side by side, and even if it's even up to my wife is beautiful and yours is attractive, I win. All the stats are in. It may just come down to how much and how many - ships sunk, gold raked in....could involve land...whomever has the highest numbers. Well, that might involve fluyting to a ripe old age...so we have till the end of the year so nobody can fluyt till 2010...a four hundred year old pirate???? Whew. But, if you can do it, do it.
Powder Monkey

325 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already playing through the game with a Fluyt and have been mostly attacking merchant ships. I might as well to use the only advantage of the West Indianman being huge cargo space. This means I can sell off alot all the cargo I get from the Merchant ships.

Possibly a dumb question but would it be alright that I am doing this challenge in Swashbuckler difficulty with a Fluyt? I don't mind if the only extra reward is bragging rights.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quinton wrote:
I'm already playing through the game with a Fluyt and have been mostly attacking merchant ships. I might as well to use the only advantage of the West Indianman being huge cargo space. This means I can sell off alot all the cargo I get from the Merchant ships.

Possibly a dumb question but would it be alright that I am doing this challenge in Swashbuckler difficulty with a Fluyt? I don't mind if the only extra reward is bragging rights.

nyah phhhhhtttt!! Razz

If you want. With grape shot and the full compliment of 16 guns, it can do a tad of crew reduction as you approach. I've taken out a sloop...raider, and a flag galleon, or two. Treasure galleons, and treasure ships are good game, as well...but....if you can take out a flag galleon, military payrolls are in your range.
Powder Monkey

325 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Well then... Reply with quote

Quote:
but....if you can take out a flag galleon, military payrolls are in your range.

Would a Ship of the Line count? Wink

I find it ironic that the first time I ever capture a Ship of the Line is the instance in which I am no able to use it at all and must use fluytsl. Naturally it shall be sold to the nearby French ports. Those will be some really happy french.

I can't really discuss tactics since this is the first time I the circumstances of the capture was total luck. I was jus duke with everyone else. Then a saw the SoTL. Thanfully the SoTL just going to Port Royale to find a lost sister. I had a 28,000 gold reward from the English since I was only attacking the English and wast fired all sorts of cannons and entered the ship once my ship was a smoking heap. Since I had all the fencing items and a skill at fencing, the English captian was doomed.

I have no clue if such a feat warrants a lengthy post since this has been done already, and is in fact a scenario in the mods section. I'm pretty sure somebody else with some better strategies for earning goal would probably defeat me at the last minute regardless of SotL. But hey it's my first SotL capture and it's with a fluyt. Let me revel in self elation for a bit.

I even have the save game handy in case anyone is curious. Although I assume the final save shall suffice.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is just too funny. Perhaps it bespeaks of the luck you'll find in-game, in future.
Cutthroat

2182 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Airsaw !!!
I am back !!! Sailor Guns Blazing Victorious
TheDon
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have begun this sick challenge with the intrepid captain Montalban, a distant black-sheep cousin of the evil spaniard who runs around the Caribbean being evil. My first capture was a French merchantman, which I sailed for some time before being presented with a nice French East Indiaman loaded with lots of gold and goodies. I took possession of same and promptly renamed her "Shue Bocks".

I've been sailing the Shue Bocks for some time now and, other than the fact that she's slow as the doldrums and takes a mile of open water to turn in, she's not a bad ship... although if I could double her gun allotment it would help immensely.

I've attacked many a merchantmen and trade galleon, plus quite a few Spanish Treasure Galleons. I have also successfully taken on barques, brigs, War Galleons, and Fast Galleons, as well as a few sloops, sloops of war, and one royal sloop. That last one (a Spanish Pirate Hunter) shot my hull up pretty good and took out most of my sails, to the point that I was literally dead in the water. If he had chosen to bombard me until I sank, I would have been a goner. However, he made the extremely unwise decision to board me instead, which means my vastly superior swordsmanship ruled the day.

I don't know what will happen when it's time to face my arch-enemy-cousin, the Marquis Montalban de Paloma. Time will tell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Luiz! Good to see you once again. I hope with all your sailing skills you'll be showing us how to float a fluyt! Well met, indeed, skipper!

Don: I shudder to think. You know he'll maneuver and shell until he's deemed you boardable, which he counts in heads, not sailability. So, that swordfight better be short, and sweet. I was toying with the idea of forgoing the pleasure, but now I have a sinking suscpicion you WON'T which would mean YOU'D stand a good chance to win this thing! Plus, the max crew of 125 with hammocks will make it a sore challenge, indeed. Argh!
Rigger

16718 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airsaw wrote:
Hey Luiz! Good to see you once again. I hope with all your sailing skills you'll be showing us how to float a fluyt! Well met, indeed, skipper!

Don: I shudder to think. You know he'll maneuver and shell until he's deemed you boardable, which he counts in heads, not sailability. So, that swordfight better be short, and sweet. I was toying with the idea of forgoing the pleasure, but now I have a sinking suscpicion you WON'T which would mean YOU'D stand a good chance to win this thing! Plus, the max crew of 125 with hammocks will make it a sore challenge, indeed. Argh!

Aye... I haven't truly made my mind up yet, either. I've been plying the trade and raking up over 100,000 gold before having to divide the plunder, so his 50,000 would be nice, but won't really add THAT much. The shear pleasure of beating him would, though. Although, as long as it takes to sail this bucket, I'll likely be an old man before getting enough map pieces to even find his hideout... assuming I can beat him enough times to get those map pieces.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Luiz
Cutthroat

2182 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try a game using the Fluyt and see how it goes.
What year did you start and what rank ? Journeyman ?
Smooth Sailing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: