Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

This Just In!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: This Just In! Reply with quote

Bakas wrote:
I have recieved and email from Firaxis about Patch 1.0.2! The message reads as follows:

"Patch 1.0.2 will be released within the next two weeks once testing is
complete with Take 2. =)"

I reciecved this information after i sent a rather angry letter to the game feedback. Thats all i have to tell you, but this patch is going to come soon!
Has anbody figured out when these 2 weeks finish!!!

To know when this just becomes yet another lie from Firaxis.
oldman
Rigger

483 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: This Just In! Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
Has anbody figured out when these 2 weeks finish!!!

To know when this just becomes yet another lie from Firaxis.

Hmm... I think it is called "fuzzy logic". They make it obscure enough without a reference point... so no one can criticize them for not delievery on time.

Mad that makes me an angry pirate...
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you check, the beginning post on this thread has a date.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 02, 2005
2K Games Announces Expanded Partnership With FIRAXIS Games
2K Games to Publish Sid Meier's Pirates!

New York, NY - May 2, 2005 - 2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO) and FIRAXIS Games announced today the acquisition of publishing rights to Sid Meier's Pirates!. Pirates! for the Xbox® video game system from Microsoft will be released by 2K Games this summer. Also included in this expanded partnership between 2K Games and FIRAXIS Games are publishing rights to the previously released PC version of Sid Meier's Pirates!.

Separately, 2K Games had previously secured publishing and distribution rights to Sid Meier's Civilization back catalog of products and will begin publishing these titles as of July 1st.

"It's very exciting to strengthen our relationship with FIRAXIS Games, a development studio that consistently produces games of the highest quality and with mass consumer appeal," said Christoph Hartmann, Senior Vice President of Publishing for 2K Games. "Sid Meier's Pirates! makes an excellent addition to the 2K Games summer lineup and we also look forward to expanding our catalog of products with the Civilization titles.”

"Sid Meier's Pirates! was one of the most acclaimed PC titles of 2004," said Jeff Briggs, Founder, President and CEO of FIRAXIS Games. "Now with 2K Games on board, we're ready to bring the same fun and innovative experience to Xbox gamers across the globe. It's great to work with a publisher like 2K who shares our vision for bringing the very best interactive entertainment to audiences worldwide."

"Pirates! for the Xbox brings the re-imagination of our legacy brand to new audiences in new ways, said Sid Meier, Director of Creative Development at FIRAXIS Games. I think Xbox gamers will be pleased with some of the assets and experiences we’ve been able to add because of special opportunities the platform offers.”

In Sid Meier's Pirates!, players take the leading role of a Pirate Captain in the 17th century Caribbean – amassing fortune and fame in an attempt to seize a rightful place as one of the most revered and feared pirates in history. Players test their skills as a sea captain exploring the high seas and exotic ports in a richly detailed 3D world. Some of the many additions for the Xbox version of the game include two new 2-4 player console-exclusive mini-games, Xbox Live leaderboards and content downloads, support for Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and HDTV resolutions and much more.

Sid Meier's Pirates! is rated T for Teen. For more information please visit www.2kgames.com or www.firaxis.com.

About Take-Two Interactive Software
Headquartered in New York City, Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. is an integrated global developer, marketer, distributor and publisher of interactive entertainment software games and accessories for the PC, PlayStation(R) game console, PlayStation(R)2 computer entertainment system, PSPâ„¢ handheld entertainment system, Xbox(R), Nintendo GameCube(TM) and Game Boy(R) Advance. The Company publishes and develops products through its wholly owned labels Rockstar Games, 2K Games and Global Star Software; and distributes products in North America through its Jack of All Games subsidiary. Take-Two also manufactures and markets video game accessories in Europe, North America and the Asia Pacific region through its Joytech subsidiary. The Company maintains sales and marketing offices in Cincinnati, New York, Toronto, London, Paris, Munich, Madrid, Vienna, Milan, Sydney, Breda (Netherlands) and Auckland. Take-Two's common stock is publicly traded on NASDAQ under the symbol TTWO.

For more corporate and product information please visit our website at www.take2games.com.

About FIRAXIS Games
Home of legendary designer Sid Meier, FIRAXIS Games was founded in 1996 by veteran gaming executive Jeff Briggs, designer of Civilization III and many other industry blockbusters. One of the world’s premier independent game development studios, FIRAXIS has created some of the most successful and award-winning computer games on the market. The company's most recent hit titles include: Sid Meier’s Pirates!; Sid Meier’s SimGolf; and the blockbuster hit series Sid Meier's Civilization III which has sold more than 3 million copies. FIRAXIS has a rich legacy of great games including: Sid Meier's Gettysburg! and Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri! FIRAXIS will release the eagerly anticipated Sid Meier's Pirates! for Xbox in Summer 2005 and Sid Meier’s Civilization IV in November 2005. FIRAXIS is located in Hunt Valley, Maryland.

Sid Meier's Pirates! is a registered trademark of FIRAXIS Games. FIRAXIS Games is a registered trademark of FIRAXIS Games. For press inquiries contact Kelley Gilmore (kgilmore@firaxis.com)
For info on FIRAXIS Games visit www.firaxis.com.

Microsoft, Xbox, and the Xbox logos are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.

All trademarks and copyrights contained herein are the property of their respective holders.

Safe Harbor Statement under the Private Securities Reform Act of 1995
This press release contains forward-looking statements made in reliance upon the safe harbor provisions of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. The statements contained herein which are not historical facts are considered forward-looking statements under federal securities laws. Such forward-looking statements are based on the beliefs of our management as well as assumptions made by and information currently available to them. The Company has no obligation to update such forward-looking statements. Actual results may vary significantly from these forward-looking statements based on a variety of factors. These important factors are described in the Company's Form 10-Q for the quarter ended January 31, 2005 in the section entitled "Cautionary Statement and Risk Factors".

I got this offa Firaxis website...huh? Very Happy The last para.
Powder Monkey

50 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello ,
look what just terned up Smile

The world-wide patch should hopefully be available to you this week. =)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, August 08, 2005 7:06 AM
To: dshirk@firaxis.com
Subject: Game Feedback from Tim on Aug 08

The following information was submitted through the Game Feedback form on
your web site...
---------------
---------------
Name: Tim
E-Mail:
I want to tell Firaxis: something else.
Select your game: Sid Meier's Pirates!
---------------
---------------
Comments:
hello,

is there going to be a patch for use english people soon, or can i use the
US one?? its not a technacal question just a normal questiom Wink
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've said that before and still lied.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rupertlittlebear wrote:
Must be one of those "forward looking statements."
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airsaw wrote:
rupertlittlebear wrote:
Must be one of those "forward looking statements."
Beginning to look like lieing is a company policy
itstim
Powder Monkey

50 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, i havd my fair share of game companys, what wiht mafia and CIV2 but this one i have never know to lie. maby there telli ng the truth
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itstim wrote:
hehe, i havd my fair share of game companys, what wiht mafia and CIV2 but this one i have never know to lie. maby there telli ng the truth
check the forum again. They have been lieing to us consistently since Pirates! came out. Nothing but lies.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itstim wrote:
I think they've wanted what they've said to be the truth. I think they were overcome by events. I think, also, that "we'd" be a bit more understanding (and maybe even a tad sympathetic) had they owned up to what ended up being the truth. However, as the last paragraph of the news release I posted intimates, since they are listed on a stock exchange, and the truth would likely have caused the value of their stock to fall, they felt it was better to lead us on rather than suffer the loss.

I keep criticizing the corporate structure (apparently our new diety) just for this reason. Stock value NEVER matches the actual value of the company, but it is now the ruling force...like a form of Poker has replaced craftsmanship in this religion called Wall Street. "We" are more than concerned about which side everyone is on, the almighty dollar's, or people's.

I call it lying. They want to rewrite the dictionary..."forward-looking statements." There is either a morality governing human affairs, or there isn't. The pat phrasing of that disclaimer let's us know what they think about that. Firaxis is just one of the multitude. If we give up with a resigned whimper we just hand them our lives to rule, and it's becoming dreadfully obvious this late in the game what they think of us, though they'll gladly take our money. If your parents pay your way, it's doubtful you truly understand what I say. It's not the patch we prize, but the consideration. Therefore, we disdain the lack of both.
Swabbie

1497 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rupert, if you feel you haven't gotten your money's worth, return the game. Or sell it. Or make it walk the proverbial plank.

Offering constructive criticism is one thing--accusing a company of lying (and in the process revealing how ignorant you are of the volatile nature of the contemporary computer/console game industry) is petty at best.

The game you bought is the game Firaxis (through Atari) shipped. Love it or leave it. You had every right and opportunity to defer or abort your purchase based on research of what the game delivered. You chose either to ignore the findings of said research, or else just buy the game without any research at all.

Firaxis would like to correct some of the bugs in the game, and of course they want to offer assurances to customers/fans that those fixes are done and coming or in the pipeline. But like many game companies, they made the mistake of actually conveying these assurances and idealistic timeframes to hostile customers like you looking for any excuse to vent your vitriol on a public forum.

I don't mind if these dates slip, because I'm a glass-is-half-full kinda guy. You are apparently a throw-the-glass-to-the-ground-and-stomp-on-it-without-caring-whats-in-it kinda guy. Whatever Firaxis does, you will find negatives in their actions or as a consequence of their patches for which you will lavish immense quantities of vitriol and vehemence in whatever public forum you find yourself at the moment. For shame, I says... for shame!

So when the 1.02 patch is released, be it this week or three months down the line or sometime in 2007, then ask yourself this--are you worthy of downloading it? Are you going to evaluate it in full on its own merits, or will your inner bias do nothing but seek out pitfalls and problems? Are you eagerly looking forward to posting a victorious, vehement "too little, too late!" blurb of ego-satisfaction to the community?

I'll conclude this posting what was to have been an earlier response to you in this thread--I never did post it at the time because a thunderstorm took out my phone service, and it's kinda redundant with what I've just posted, but I feel someone has to stick up for Firaxis here...

rupertlittlebear wrote:
1) Patch listed items as patched that weren't. Pure Lie
2) Consistent lies about when the patch will be issued. Never willing to tell customers the truth.
3) Requiring paying customers to do their beta testing. Shipped produce was not ready for customers . . . Yet another Lie.

This invective is unnecessary, and ignorant of the realities of the contemporary computer/video game publishing world.

1. If Firaxis thought they had resolved an issue, they probably noted it in the patch. If they were wrong, that doesn't mean they lied--that means they were simply wrong. Given the rocky relationship with Atari at the time, it's possible that the patch was rushed through the channels before it was finished--it didn't even go through the localization process and thus remained a US-only patch. So the patch notes may have been cribbed from expected fixes rather than the ones that actually appeared in the released form of the patch.

2. This is why developers hate giving customers projected release dates. All they do is bitch bitch bitch. Have you ever tried to race against a too-optimistic deadline? Dates slip. It's a harsh reality of publishing in general. And when dates are held firm, you end up...

3. ...with a product that just hasn't had the time to go through a rigorous QA process. The complaint that "we're paying to beta test their game" is quite frankly an abused cliché now. You're paying for the game as delivered, flaws and all. You have every right NOT to purchase the game--or to withhold your purchase until you've time to read some reviews and player feedback.

If Firaxis is to be blamed for anything, it's getting trapped into a publishing agreement with Infogrames/Atari.
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Nukenin, i think it's not that firaxis are in-born evil Twisted Evil or tells us lies all the time, just that they don't have time and capacity to fix a game that already is released and won't bring in any more money Question

But i think they could have tested the game more thoroughly before releasing it Wink ( of course hard to find all bugs in such a wide game Sad )

Anyway, maybe it's better that they use resources to develop new, exciting games; although it maybe a cynical view, i think most of us will be grateful if Pirates 2 or something similar would be released quite soon Very Happy
rupertlittlebear
Helmsman

10381 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the name Polyanna mean anything to you.
Howie
Helmsman

45890 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at it this way guys... We waited 17 years for this incarnation of Pirates! to come to us. I say it's a darn good game. If we or in this case (I) have to wait longer that won't kill me. I have gotten a lot of enjoyment from this game as is. When it's patched, which I believe it will be soon then that's all the better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: