Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

This Just In!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
headrock
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to quote airsaw, but I'm going to have to partially agree with him. The fact that games come out with problems, AND are sold to us at their current prices, remains to be a great fault of our own, the gaming community, the players, for having put up with it. A mistake that most likely would be impossible to undo in these days when the gaming world is huge, and action cannot be taken on all fronts.

But games have been released buggy for a seriously long time, and perhaps coming to terms with this fact wasn't unexpected at all. However, due to our own compliance, game companies (they do this with everything) take our compliance and build new behavioral rules upon them. "So, they accept bugs mor readily nowadays? Sweet, we can cut down on beta testing. If they complain too much, we'll get someone to fix whatever comes up". The advent of the internet as a place to distribute updates has furthered the problem, since the assumption is that 100% of the players wouldn't mind the few seconds-to-minutes of download to fix their game.

Everything of course pivots on the fact that games are NOT buckets of water, and bugs are NOT holes - the "bucket" in this allegory cannot fulfill its purpose. In a game, the purpose is only partially affected by the bugs (Although some games can't be finished at all with the bugs they come with, making you think "What the f*** were the testers paid for?). So the company executives can set deadlines and release the game when they believe it will fulfill its purpose "Satisfactorily", giving themselves a slap on the back. And, in effect, the reason they can do this is that the games DO work, and CAN fulfill their purpose, for a greater percentage of the people who acquire them. The problem is always that there are so many consumers that even if a large number are upset, an even larger number may either not notice bugs at all, not mind, or not have the will to complain and just dump the game, often sadly forgetting which company it was that screwed them up the nether regions.

Sometimes bugs can't be spotted beforehand, especially those that relate to some hardware configurations. After all you can't buy all the different kinds of hardware to test the software on and see if it works on all of them, just like your old bucket manufacturer can't forsee what, where and how you are going to use your bucket. However what really makes my head hurt is that in games like Pirates! (And sadly a LOT of other games, nowadays) some bugs are sitting right in the open, occur too frequently to be missed, or too important to the game to be missed. And they're being missed. Is it the rush-job that most developments go through nowadays? Is it just a rampant lack of regard to the whole beta-testing procedure that publishing companies appear to have, or is it time that the game's own designers begin replacing external beta-testers, paid instead to check their own software before it is released, since no one knows its purposes more than they do?

The truth is, I don't know. I've never published a computer game, and in this day and age the prospect of actually publishing anything I've made seems bleak. The real problem is that the future of computer games seems respectively bleak as well. What can we do about it? I wish I knew. Cause if we don't find out soon, and do it, things are about to get out of hand.

ruf
Seaman

899 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headrock wrote:
How about a raid? We'll pack onto a war canoe, board them, and hold the crew hostage until they finish the patch.

HA!
Reminded me of the opening scene in that Monty Python movie (I think it was Meaning of Life) that had the corporate raiders. The Pirate building pulled up alongside the victim building, and pirates swung into the offices on ropes and such. Always loved that. Sailor Duelling Victorious
Powder Monkey

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did no one notice that I said I have 1.0.2?
If the retail release exists...how far behind can a patch be?
Every forum I've ever visited is full of the same impatient griping over patches...
miko
Powder Monkey

925 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfwood wrote:
miko wrote:
DNA hated it...

He did? Tell me more! Surprised
it's called Jeremy Pacman (a pun on Jeremy Paxman, a BBC journalists name)
and what Douglas said was he "really, really loathed" it.

it was put on the covers of US editions of the hitchikers books by the US publishers, the original cover features a facsimile of the Guide's (ie "Don't Panic" in large freindly letters).

for more information on the man and his musings i hartily recommend "Hitchhiker - a biography of Douglas Adams" by M. J. Simpson.

to above - with three posts, sorry but i ask for proof...
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headrock wrote:
The real problem is that the future of computer games seems respectively bleak as well. What can we do about it? I wish I knew. Cause if we don't find out soon, and do it, things are about to get out of hand.
Hear! Hear! I couldn't agree more. Manufacturers who place themselves above their customers should go out of business (tarred and feathered). One thing that would work is a mass return for cash back. It's almost like everyone flushing their toilets the instant Nixon said "I will" on his second inaugural. It would drain the water in all the pipes in every water system in the U.S. (We actually tried to organize that; The National Flush.) They'd lose TONS of money, and WE WOULDN'T. That's what we need to try once. I'll bet it would get their attention - a well-timed, coordinated RETURN PRODUCT IF DISSATISFIED!
Rigger

354 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably wouldn't work for the same reasons your flush project failed - organization and compliance would have to hit the roof, and like I said before most people just either don't notice or understand the damages in the product, or don't care enough to be upset. Sheep, as Pink Floyd so thoughtfully put it (And orwell before them of course).

Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

headrock wrote:
It probably wouldn't work for the same reasons your flush project failed - organization and compliance would have to hit the roof, and like I said before most people just either don't notice or understand the damages in the product, or don't care enough to be upset. Sheep, as Pink Floyd so thoughtfully put it (And orwell before them of course).
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air...
Seaman

232 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruf wrote:
headrock wrote:
How about a raid? We'll pack onto a war canoe, board them, and hold the crew hostage until they finish the patch.

HA!
Reminded me of the opening scene in that Monty Python movie (I think it was Meaning of Life) that had the corporate raiders. The Pirate building pulled up alongside the victim building, and pirates swung into the offices on ropes and such. Always loved that. Sailor Duelling Victorious
that was hilarious, they shot filing cabinet drawers at them! it was the best thing ever

WWAPD?
WWFSMD?
CapnSunwolf
Powder Monkey

28 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: ARRGH finally seems to be true Reply with quote

Very Happy Witht he current post of 1.0.2. being sold.. it appears we are close on the supposed patch eh Crew?

Hopefully it will fix the problem i had the other night.. while attempting to change the name of my ship while sailing, I came back into the game "off the edge of the world."

Very frustrating..

Later and smooth sailin mates Sailor
ruf
Seaman

899 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headrock wrote:
Sheep, as Pink Floyd so thoughtfully put it.

Wave upon wave of demented avengers
March cheerfully out of obscurity
And into the dream....

Forgot about the corporate pirate raiders firing the filing cabnet drawers... Whatta movie!
Cutthroat

2045 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick shot of perspective ... game developers aren't the only ones who release buggy software. Major corporate software (Windows, anyone?) is released with bugs, as are open-source projects like Linux & Mozilla Firefox. In fact, I will venture a guess that every major software project is released with at least one undiscovered bug.

Why? Is it lazy programmers? Blind beta-testers? No, I think it's complexity. Most modern software is terribly terribly complex. The problem is made even worse by the multi-tasking environment in modern computers, where your software is not the only running process. Even if a program works fine in isolation, who knows how it will work when running alongside a variety of antivirus utilities, Google Desktop Search, or any of the other programs that people usually have running all of the time? Finally, as others have already mentioned, there are too many possible hardware configurations to predict how they will all work.

We simply can't expect a bug-free product. Ever.

That said, we can and should expect that software will be tested and many bugs will be squashed before release. Certain obvious bugs should never be allowed into the light of day. In Pirates!, I can only think of three bugs that really bother me. First is the Treasure Fleet bug, which was fixed with the 1.01 patch. (Yay!) Second is the annoying captain bug, which was actually introduced with the 1.01 patch. (BOO! Patches should not make new bugs!) Third is the unbelievable slowness of land combat.

As it seems that the 1.02 patch is on the threshold of release, I am quietly hopeful that either the second or third of these bugs might be fixed. We'll just have to see.

What? Oh, NOW I get it....
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlipperyJim wrote:
Just a quick shot of perspective ....
Yes, you are correct. It's likely an example of: Nothing in this world is perfect. You have flaws in diamonds. You have scars in Corinthian leather. You have bugs in software. Outrageous examples of this make you kinda wonder if some developers aren't trying to hide behind the bug. (Picture a large cockroach with Bill Gates peeking from between its legs.) Windows 95 never worked right. Several trans-mutations of that ('98 and ME) never worked right, either.

I imagine writing software for a bug-infested operating system is like trying to tatoo while riding a speeding dune buggy. Pardon the pun. (Re: Jackass: The Movie.) Windows NT was realtively bug-free compared to its cousin, and XP is just a fancified NT for home and office desk use. Rather than a breakthrough, XP is more like a cowering admission of failure. I still remember using machine-dedicated word processing when the major problem was getting the printed copy to look like what you had on the screen. Blaming users for expecting too much doesn't fly. Volkswagen claims the Beetle will float, but never let on that it could fly as well, and no one expected it to. (I once saw someone make one fly nearly twenty yards while doing a 360º rotation, but it wasn't intentional, and that's another story.)

The complaint here isn't that bugs happen in software. The complaint is, knowing that they do occur, it would seem developers would make themselves available in some fashion to communicate with the users of the software who, inevitably and eventually, are the ones who will find all the bugs. It's rather ignomanious to be the one pointing at the cockroach for someone else to come and stomp. But, hey, nobody forced them to go into this business called "software development".

I still recall, as well, enduring the pompous people "studying COBOL" who just KNEW they were the smartest people on the planet because they were the only ones who were studying COBOL. Meaning: If you were as smart as they, you'd be studying COBOL, too. Ipso facto; since you aren't, they must be - the smartest. Physicists have the same problem. That's odd in a world where not only is nothing perfect, nothing is proved - hypothetically speaking, of course.

After half-a-dozen edits, I think this post is, at last, bug-free. (See, PF? It's a fluid process. Don't feel you were set up. Muhahahaha. And, yes, you're far too young to be among that crowd, thank the Great Computer God in the Sky.)

Now, where's my can of Raid, and who do I go for first?

Last edited by Airsaw on Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:10 pm; edited 6 times in total
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airsaw not to stomp on your thunder but since I had to learn "Cobol" (COmmon Business Oriented Language) I figured I would correct your spelling. Yes i know cobol... do I like it no, and I don't think i am greater than anyone because I know it, but then again I am not from the generation that decided the ipso facto in the first place. Just figure I would shine some light on the cobol theory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
KingWilly
Rigger

9821 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COBOL....I thought no used that anymore. I had to learn Cobol for two semesters at Uni and just hated it. Good thing I don't have to use it where I work. Smile

AKA. Will Scarlett.
PiratesFan
Rigger

23491 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobol is still in use to this day. How do you think most banks Worldwide are being run off of. Yes they have fancy graphical online menus now days but the cost to convert all their data to not use Cobol is astounding where they rather pay programmer to fix issues like the Y2K issue. That is the whole basis of that scare and Cobol is the main culprit of it. The Programmers where too lazy at the time to add the extra 2 digits in thinking that they would never use it for that long. Boy were they wrong about the banking industry... How do you think banks stay in business. That is the mainstream use of Cobol ... I am sure there are many other places that still use cobol but aren't as widely known as the banking systems and some other government systems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: