Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

minor relations / useless items mod
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: minor relations / useless items mod Reply with quote

Download: see The Challenge Pack

For my next (final?) mod, I was thinking to flesh out Indian, Jesuit, and pirate relations a bit, and make the Indian and Jesuit artifacts have uses. I also fixed the rutters and ported dogcigar's nice mod for the Mac which improves the usefulness of the disguise items. Here are the details:

Indians: Unless you have an Indian artifact, Indians will neither trade with you nor launch attacks on your behalf. A tier-1 Indian item allows you to trade, and a tier-2 Indian item will convince them to launch attacks on your behalf. Also, relations with Indians will drop if you capture their ships, and slowly return to neutral over time. Having negative favor will also prevent you from trading and/or launching attacks.

Jesuits: Unless you have a Jesuit artifact, Jesuits will not give you missions, tell you about Montalban, or offer to negotiate amnesty. With a tier-1 Jesuit artifact, they'll be moved by the plight of (what they perceive to be) one of their brothers, and offer you information about Montalban and entrust you with missions. With a tier-2 artifact, they'll be willing to intercede with nations on your behalf.

Pirates: Pirate havens may refuse to trade and/or repair ships depending on how poor your relations with them are. Pirates won't launch attacks on your behalf unless you have substantially positive relations with them. Pirate havens lead by a captain that you've pissed off (by stealing his treasure) will always refuse to help you.

Rutters: The Dutch and Spanish rutters weren't implemented properly in the original game. Both rutters showed all settlements, so there was no reason to buy the Spanish rutter. The mod fixes it so the Dutch rutter shows only half of the settlements.

Disguises: This is largely dogcigar's idea. He's implementing a cool mod for the Mac (I think) that lets disguises increase your chance of entering Spanish ports unmolested. Basically, the disguise gives you an effective +4 or +8 favor bonus for the purpose of determining how much cities like you. I'm not sure it would help me because I usually have at best -60 favor with Spain, but it seems like a good idea nonetheless. I've implemented it so that it doesn't work if you sail your ship into the harbor. A fake mustache won't disguise that! You have to drop anchor nearby and walk into the city for the disguise to help you get in. It works for all cities though, not just Spanish ones.

Last edited by AdamMil on Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:33 pm; edited 12 times in total
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Wow! Great mod idea! Reply with quote

I like the idea of this mod being created. Would it be possible to add a ballroom to the pirate city's and dance with pirate daughters and even choose pirates as the nation you sail for? I think the game would be better too if we could swap out the Indians and missions with new countries created for them. The artifact thing is a great idea. Must of this stuff I am sure people don't by from the stranger because it is expensive and worthless. What the heck is the use in buying a brace of pistols for every gold doubloon you got when you can't shoot nobody with it. Perhaps at least this could be modded so that whomever has the pistols at least could be faster or something in fencing or age slower so you can fight longer.
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Wow! Great mod idea! Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
I like the idea of this mod being created.
Well, good. It's about 70% done now. :-)
Pirate wrote:
Would it be possible to add a ballroom to the pirate city's and dance with pirate daughters and even choose pirates as the nation you sail for?
Yes, but it's a lot of work.
Pirate wrote:
What the heck is the use in buying a brace of pistols for every gold doubloon you got when you can't shoot nobody with it.
To be fair, they're not completely useless. I think each pistol gives you a free step at the start of the fight, as though you'd hit your opponent with a thrust. But that's not a big advantage...
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, it's done! To try it out, unpack the .zip file below into your Pirates! game directory (after making a backup of Pirates!.exe first).

Download: see The Challenge Pack

Last edited by AdamMil on Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
dogcigar
Swabbie

542 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work Adam. You`re working hard.

If you want to tweak it, I have the Jesuit items not coming into effect untill you have rescued at least 1 relative. Just helps to get the game started. Otherwise you have to pay to get Lost relative spawns if you can`t dance with the attractive daughters yet. FYI The lost relative and Monty complete registers are just before the item ones.

From memory there is no way to better your Indian favour (I think nothing makes them happy). Interested in how you returned the favour towards zero. Is it related to time or number of times you enter a city/settlement?
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogcigar wrote:
Great work Adam. You`re working hard.
Thanks. :-) A bit too hard, in fact, but it's fun. I think I've implemented all the mods I wanted to implement, though...

dogcigar wrote:
If you want to tweak it, I have the Jesuit items not coming into effect untill you have rescued at least 1 relative.
Do you mean that the Jesuits help you for free until you rescue a relative, and then they expect you to have artifacts?

dogcigar wrote:
Interested in how you returned the favour towards zero. Is it related to time or number of times you enter a city/settlement?
Each month there's a 25% chance of it increasing by one if it's currently negative.
dogcigar
Swabbie

542 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Untill the 1st rescue everything is normal. Just plays nicely although it probably doesn`t make logical sense.
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: The latest version of the mod fixes the Dutch and Spanish rutters, which weren't implemented properly in the original game. Previously, both showed all settlements so there was no reason to buy the Spanish rutter. Now, the Dutch rutter shows half of the settlements and the Spanish rutter shows all of them.
dogcigar
Swabbie

542 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use the Pirate and Indian favour registers. I use them to alter the amount of Spices and Luxuries you can trade. One small problem is that you can`t see your levels within the game. To make it complete I was thinking of changing something in the status screen so that you could see the favour. Like changing "You started your career in 1620" to your " your Pirate favour is -5000" or something like that
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like the right place to put it would be the screen that shows your rank/bounty with all the other nations, but I guess that screen's pretty cluttered as it is...

You play on the Mac, right? When do you alter the spice/luxury levels?
Mandiuscreel
Seaman

3189 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a version of the Useless Items Mod that doesn't have anything to do with pirate relations?

One of my favorite things to do when I first start out in the regular game is to get the pirates to attack a nearby city, and wait until I see a pirate brig sail in, so I can take it and get my first real ship.

With your mod, I can't get a brig until I'm far enough advanced that I don't need it, because the pirate captains won't give me the time of day until I've got a 20,000 or 30,000 gold piece reward on my head.

Or a country happens to send one out in an invasion/raid, which is rare. (I don't count the first mission raider sent out; I play at Rogue level, and my sloop at that stage is too wimpy to consider fighting a fully armed brig.)

I love the Useless Items Mod, especially with the rutters. But I can't use it and get the brig as well.
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandiuscreel wrote:
Is there a version of the Useless Items Mod that doesn't have anything to do with pirate relations?
There isn't one, and it seems unlikely that pirates would risk their lives on the say-so of a nobody, but I could produce a one-off version of it if you really want.
Mandiuscreel
Seaman

3189 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great. I don't want to take away from your mods - I use the challenge pack religiously (except for the cannonball speeds). It was just this one thing that bugged me.
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandiuscreel wrote:
That would be great.
Well in lieu of rebuilding the whole mod pack, which is a pain, I hope you don't mind if I just post the following patch. Do a search with a hex editor and change
Code:
83 FA FF 7D 0A 68 97 41 8F 00 E9 E1 76 B1 FF 83 FA __08__ 0F 8D 3D 78 B1 FF 68 C9 41 8F 00 E9 CE 76 B1 FF

to
Code:
83 FA FF 7D 0A 68 97 41 8F 00 E9 E1 76 B1 FF 83 FA __00__ 0F 8D 3D 78 B1 FF 68 C9 41 8F 00 E9 CE 76 B1 FF

And why does nobody seem to like the faster cannonball speeds? :-)

Last edited by AdamMil on Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mandiuscreel
Seaman

3189 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the mod!

As for the cannonball speeds, I think it's because the distances between ships doesn't seem to matter. The shot gets there too quick. I remember reading a book called "Diary of a Midshipman", written from the memoirs of a young man sailing with Nelson against the French. He described the sound of the cannonballs whizzing through the night air, and because it was dark he couldn't see them, but could only cringe waiting for them to hit. The implication is that in the daylight he could see them coming before they got to the ship. Of course the ships were hundreds of yards apart.

Maybe ships in the age of sail couldn't nimbly dodge falling shot the way WWII battleships could, but a ship in motion might well be able to change its course enough to at least avoid part of a broadside.

Maybe if the speed was about halfway between the original and your current settings...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: