Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

1004 gold per crewmember?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guru
Gunner

1240 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashanan wrote:
The only thing that has nagged me about the formula is that the Quartermaster, who from the game description would have a function similar to the Cook, does not appear in it at all.

I've gived it some thought, and i wonder if maybe the Quartermaster make your crew stay alive a little longer during ship fights?

Maybe he boosts the crew morale so your number of crew decreases a little slower? It would be hard to test, but he may have a role similar to that...
Laurence Bowen
Powder Monkey

93 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about the ageing in the game. Not really related to morale, but it does relate to the (very good) FAQ mentioned in this thread so I thought I would put it in here.

According to the FAQ, your pirate will age into a new health status every 3 years, with an additional 6 months for each of the health items or the medicine skill, and that the benefits of each item are retroactively applied so that you will get the same benefits no matter how late in the game you aquire the items.

I have a pirate with both health items and skill at medicine, so he ages every 4.5 years. According to the table in the FAQ this means he should have reached "Poor" health when turning 36, but mine stayed on "Fair" right up until 38. And after this he should have stayed on "Poor" until 45, but actually he is now on "Failing" having just turned 43. I previously had another pirate who was forced to retire 2 years before he should have done according to the FAQ.

Now... the very important thing to say at this point is that I am talking about the PSP version, and not the PC version Smile but for the most part, most things in the FAQ seem to apply to the PSP version too (it certainly seems more faithful than the X-Box version for example).

So I was basically wondering if anyone else had had discrepancies with the ageing, or had a more complete knowledge of how it worked, or indeed if the FAQ describes the PC ageing perfectly, and that something different is going on on the PSP.
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now... the very important thing to say at this point is that I am talking about the PSP version, and not the PC version

I don't think any one here has played the PSP version. What's the multiplayer like?6
Laurence Bowen
Powder Monkey

93 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very basic Smile Just ship to ship battles in a few different fictional "seas". You can select what ship you use, which can be very unbalanced as you'd imagine. You can pick up crates to repair your hull and sails and things, and you have two fire buttons, one for port and one for starboard. But really it's not much to write home about.
ExtraCrispy
Boatswain

39052 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you fence against another person in multiplayer? Duelling
Captain Mars
Powder Monkey

65 Gold -

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random thought re: the quartermaster, since nobody seems to know what he does.

Description says he maintains discipline, which is in keeping with a quartermaster's job. I'm under the impression that hypothetically at least an unhappy crew performs worse than a happy one -- ie, they should fight slower, sail slower, load guns slower. Perhaps the quartermaster reduces and/or eliminates this gap, which is also why nobody seems to notice a difference in performance based on crew morale?
Dave the Knave
Rigger

22948 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps the quartermaster reduces and/or eliminates this gap, which is also why nobody seems to notice a difference in performance based on crew morale?

I wonder this myself, since I really don't see what great benefit the Quartermaster adds to the ship's roster. Maybe it's because, by the time he joins my crew, I've dealt with the morale problem by acquiring capital and/or downsizing.
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just call me the necromancer.
Guru wrote:
Sashanan states the exact formula to calculate crew happiness, provided by Wes Atkinson: (int((T-D) / 2) ^ 2 ) – 4*I) * (20 + C – 19*K) * M – 500...
Actually, T is not the months of the expedition but a separate value that I call "weariness". It normally increases by one per month, but that can change. For instance, it increases twice as fast if the men are starving and decreases by three if a mutinous crew steals a ship (or attempts to?). But I suppose most of the time it's equal to the number of months.
Sashanan wrote:
The only thing that has nagged me about the formula is that the Quartermaster, who from the game description would have a function similar to the Cook, does not appear in it at all...
The quartermaster doesn't keep people happy; he enforces discipline. Happy crews don't need to be disciplined, so instead he reduces the effect of unhappiness. He halves the number of men who desert and makes more ships eligible for stealing. With the quartermaster, a mutinous crew can take any ship but the flagship. Without a quartermaster, it can take only take the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th ship. This may sound unintuitive, but I suppose it's based on the assumption that the best ships are at the front of your fleet, so letting them steal the ships at the end decreases the chance of you losing a great ship.
MATT001 wrote:
Has any one noticed that the random tons of Spice that named pirates seem to carry around seem not to be counted on their cargo limit?
This is because of a ridiculous thing the game does. Thinking perhaps that pirates wouldn't carry around spice, the game reuses the spice slot to store the top pirate's ID (and reuses the sugar slot for something too). However not all parts of the game are aware of this, so in some places (like when you capture the ship) you get an amount of spice equal to the top pirate's ID. It's ridiculous because it saves a whopping 512 bytes in a game that wastes many tens or hundreds of thousands of bytes elsewhere.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamMil wrote:

Okay: You de necromancer!

AdamMil wrote:
MATT001 wrote:
Has any one noticed that the random tons of Spice that named pirates seem to carry around seem not to be counted on their cargo limit?

This is because of a ridiculous thing the game does. Thinking perhaps that pirates wouldn't carry around spice, the game reuses the spice slot to store the top pirate's ID (and reuses the sugar slot for something too). However not all parts of the game are aware of this, so in some places (like when you capture the ship) you get an amount of spice equal to the top pirate's ID. It's ridiculous because it saves a whopping 512 bytes in a game that wastes many tens or hundreds of thousands of bytes elsewhere.

So if I take out Morgan, does one ton of spice evaporate from the hold of all the other top pirates? Or does the "top pirate's ID" remain constant, even if the rankings change?
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
So if I take out Morgan, does one ton of spice evaporate from the hold of all the other top pirates? Or does the "top pirate's ID" remain constant, even if the rankings change?
It's constant, and should be the same in every game, if I read it right.
Rusty Edge
Rigger

2992 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fascinating information.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamMil wrote:

It is fascinating information though...
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Teague wrote:
AdamMil wrote:
Hey, it wasn't me this time. :-) Nice picture, though.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamMil wrote:
Captain Teague wrote:
AdamMil wrote:
Hey, it wasn't me this time. Smile Nice picture, though.

Thank you, I saw that somewhere and just died laughing. Now I post it where ever it fits.
sparticus
Helmsman

44872 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Teague wrote:
AdamMil wrote:

It is fascinating information though...

I too like this pic Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Pirates! Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: