Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

The Challenge Pack
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: The Challenge Pack Reply with quote

I've created a program that will let you generate an executable containing a selection of all of the mods I've written (including the three mods I released previously and three new mods I'm releasing just now). I challenge you to win a Swashbuckler game with all mods enabled!

Download: http://www.adammil.net/files/121/ChallengePack.zip (version 1.2.3)

I tested the mods in their previous incarnations, but they had to be rearranged to work together in the same program, and I haven't fully tested all the combinations. They should work, but let me know if you have any problems!

Bonus: If you don't select any mods, you'll get a clean, unencrypted executable that's suitable for creating mods and applying other people's mods. (The Steam version supports no exe mods. The retail version supports exe data mods but not code mods. This version supports both code and data mods.)

Last edited by AdamMil on Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:01 pm; edited 7 times in total
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: version 1.1 includes an updated Useless Items Mod that fixes the Dutch and Spanish rutters, which weren't implemented properly in the original game. Previously, both showed all settlements so there was no reason to buy the Spanish rutter. Now, the Dutch rutter shows half of the settlements and the Spanish rutter shows all of them.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

I was doing a little testing of this mod. The only thing I changed to the .exe after selecting all the options, was I replaced all the Caribbean cities with the East Indies city's. After I took out Bart Roberts I could not get my ship fixed at any port even the Dutch port I just received my promotion from for taking care of ole Bart. Was this the way it was intended or was it suppose to be only in pirate havens? I can't really see why the Dutch or Spanish shipwrights would be calling me a filthy pirate hunter for they aren't pirates.
Changing the city's should have not affected this or would it? Please help I'm about to sink Smile
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
... I can't really see why the Dutch or Spanish shipwrights would be calling me a filthy pirate hunter for they aren't pirates.
Uh oh, sounds like a bug. I'll fix it right away. :-) Thanks for the testing!
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I think it should be fixed. A silly oversight on my part. Care to try now?

In semi-related news, I'm trying to finish my own challenge (a Swashbuckler game with all mods enabled), and I keep banging my head against Montalban. Damn that guy's fast on Swashbuckler! :-P
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty I will give it another go. Yup ole Montalban is the toughest opponent you'll ever face in smp. I am sure more than one person has either stepped back from the difficulty level or quit playing altogether because of the dude.
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamMil wrote:
In semi-related news, I'm trying to finish my own challenge (a Swashbuckler game with all mods enabled), and I keep banging my head against Montalban. Damn that guy's fast on Swashbuckler! Razz

In my one attempt at Swashbuckler, I finished with 125 because I could not beat Montalban in his lair (but I somehow picked up an extra point - rounding error?).

I have found that Montalban is superhuman only with his special maneuver. In every other respect he is nothing special. His parry, in particular, is slow. So anytime you successfully parry/dodge/jump, an immediate counterthrust is likely to succeed. But if Monty just uses his special attack many times in a row, there's not much you can do about it.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always start on swashbuckler. Always. Here is how I beat ol' Monty;

I always choose the longsword, and I parry. No matter the move, parry. You move back one step and aren't stunned. Immediately slash (for the legs). The slash hits about 2/3 of the time and if you happened to parry a thrust he is stunned long enough that you may be able to fit in a thrust of your own (after the slash). I've beaten him first try on swashbuckler several times; once with no fencing items.
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arg. I practiced in the fencing academy with the Swashbuckler no items, no skill save until I could beat the jealous fiance four times in a row. Then I thought "Surely I can beat Montalban now!" Ha... :-|

I'll try your strategy. :-)
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Teague wrote:
Here is how I beat ol' Monty...
Hey, that totally worked! :-) It almost felt like cheating, but I hardly cared at that point! Finally, back to cruising the Caribbean...
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamMil wrote:
Captain Teague wrote:
Here is how I beat ol' Monty...
Hey, that totally worked! Smile It almost felt like cheating, but I hardly cared at that point! Finally, back to cruising the Caribbean...

I'm glad it helped. I too felt cheap at first; it hardly looked like a good duel and you'd think he'd catch on. Oh well, villains are stupid right?
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip! Will this strategy work against the English captain of the guard, or is it tailored to Montalban?
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland wrote:
Thanks for the tip! Will this strategy work against the English captain of the guard, or is it tailored to Montalban?

I've never tried; but I don't see why it would't work.
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I added a new mod in version 1.2 that makes the top pirates never surrender, in the same way that the main quest villains never surrender, so you have to duel them on their ship to finally beat them (unless you sink them :-P). I thought it was a sad end for the top pirates to simply take their mast off and make them walk the plank or whatever. Now they at least go out with a bit of honor. Or maybe they get the better of you and dump you in the sea. :-D

I also fixed some minor grammatical errors in the game text that were bugging me. (Those fixes will be applied regardless of which mods you choose.)

Last edited by AdamMil on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Version 1.2.1 fixes a crash that occurred with the happiness mod if you divided the plunder and then immediately divided the plunder again.

(Also, if you're the one person who downloaded 1.2.0 shortly after I posted it, you may want to grab this update because you might have gotten an outdated version of the tenacious top pirate mod due to a typo on my part.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: