Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

realistic cannonball speeds
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, the final* version has been released! Thanks to everyone who tested it (mostly Pirates)!

Download: http://www.adammil.net/files/121/CannonballMod.zip

The mod is also available in The Challenge Pack.

To use, unpack the .exe into your Pirates! game folder and run the game as usual. (Make a backup of your Pirates!.exe file first.) The alpha, beta, and gamma versions will remain up for a limited time. If you decide you like those versions better, grab them before they're gone. :-)

I'd like to post a patch so that people can combine this mod with other exe mods, but it turns out to be infeasible because most people are running an encrypted (copy-protected) version of the game exe. Unless people start using an unencrypted version, code changes can't be feasibly released in patches.

Tips: Sea battles are more dangerous now! There's no more dodging cannonballs, so you should probably close quickly for boarding. If you want to fight a prolonged sea battle, larger warships have a definite advantage now (as it should be). To fight a battle against a more powerful foe, it's crucial to obtain superior positioning. You should try to remain aft of the enemy vessel, where it can't hit you, especially if you can both remain aft and hold the weather gage. Smaller vessels have a better chance of obtaining this position in battle, but in all cases it's good to position yourself appropriately on the world map first.

* Of course, if you try it out and find a bug I'd be glad to fix it. :-)

P.S. If you play on the Mac and want a Mac version of this mod, I'd be happy to create one, but we'd need to work together a bit since I don't have a Mac.

Last edited by AdamMil on Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:44 am; edited 4 times in total
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Avast Ye! Reply with quote

If you don't mind could you tell me how I could adjust the speeds elevation. Etc. using the hex. I just like learning and playing around with stuff if you know what I mean. Thanks for the great mod.
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Avast Ye! Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
If you don't mind could you tell me how I could adjust the speeds elevation. Etc. using the hex. I just like learning and playing around with stuff if you know what I mean. Thanks for the great mod.
See my post on page five for information about the elevation. Note that when you edit that, you're editing code, not data. (It's just a small bit of code I inserted to increase the elevation.)

The shot ranges are stored as eight 32-bit integers at 7277D4 in memory (that's 3277D4 in the exe). (I think this is just used to determine whether to display the "out of range" text, and come to think of it I should fix those.) The shot speeds are stored as three 32-bit integers at 727808 in memory (327808 in the exe).

The other changes I made such as adding some minor hull damage to all the shot types and "fixing" the sail damage routine so it didn't apply double sail damage to ships with bronze plating aren't so easy to edit, since that involved adding a bunch of code.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an issue with the "final" version. I do have the disc version of the game; I loaded the modded .exe (in the correct location) and it ran fine. I decided to start a new pirate instead of continuing my current one. "Jackson Teague's" signup was rough as there was a large white rectangle instead of the picture of the dude; and my chosen starting difficulty was not showing (none of the boxes were checked, even when I selected them). Nonetheless; I selected "Swashbuckler" (I'm very brave...or stupid. Probably stupid), "Fencing" and "1680" and pressed on. The opening videos were buggy; but since I hadn't sat through them in while I did. The second video (the mutiny) faded to black...and then the dreaded white box with the loading bar appeared "Sid Meier's Pirates! has stopped working." I tried twice more; same result. I loaded my current pirate thrice; same result. I then loaded the gamma version of the mod; following the exact same process as above, with the exact same results. I await further input.

P.S. Those that got it to work; I'm guessing you're all running the game on steam?

[EDIT]
Another possible side effect; I switched back to my backup unaltered .exe and now it's really laggy. Also in battle; whenever I push any button and hold it down; to turn, fire etc; the game freezes. The sound still plays; but the game freezes as soon as I press a button, and continues when I release the button, which makes it impossible to turn my ship. Now my game is unplayable.
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Teague wrote:
I found an issue with the "final" version. I do have the disc version of the game; I loaded the modded .exe (in the correct location) and it ran fine. I decided to start a new pirate instead of continuing my current one. "Jackson Teague's" signup was rough as there was a large white rectangle instead of the picture of the dude; and my chosen starting difficulty was not showing (none of the boxes were checked, even when I selected them)...
Hmm, I have a hard time believing this is caused by the mod, especially if you simply used the .exe from the .zip file. I guess it's possible if the data files are substantially different between the Steam and disc versions of the game, but I was under the impression that isn't the case (?).

Captain Teague wrote:
Another possible side effect; I switched back to my backup unaltered .exe and now it's really laggy. Also in battle; whenever I push any button and hold it down; to turn, fire etc; the game freezes.
If you restored the original .exe and still had trouble, I think these problems are not caused by the mod, honestly.

Last edited by AdamMil on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faulty power cord might have fried your pirate. Smile
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But anyway, yes I bought the Steam version, although my .exe is based on the retail version.

How about you, Pirates?

Also, what happens if you try loading your game - the save game that worked?
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the steam version. The ole lady catches me playing this game too much. Steam starts coming out the ears, nostrils, mouth breaths fire and unless your an expert swashbuckler you'll never play it again. Smile
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how these people do .exe mods, because the stock Steam version is basically unmoddable and so is the retail disc version I got from Captain Teague. Both are packed and/or encrypted. But then I just checked and it seems that only the code is encrypted and not the data... That means there's no simple patch that can work for people with the retail disc version because this isn't a simple data patch but mostly a code patch.

I have a version of the .exe that can be used as a good base for patching, since it's completely unencrypted. But it seems most people don't have that... so there's no way around distributing the .exe - either distributing the modded .exe or distributing the clean, unencrypted .exe and a patch for that.

Last edited by AdamMil on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
I got the steam version. The ole lady catches me playing this game too much. Steam starts coming out the ears, nostrils, mouth breaths fire and unless your an expert swashbuckler you'll never play it again. :)
That's funny. :-) Of course you can always tell her that you're just practicing your ballroom dancing... and fighting off any jealous suitors that might come along...
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Mod issue Reply with quote

You didn't put that pirate roulette thing in there did you? It worked just fine but after I was done I found all my bags packed and sitting in my driveway. Smile
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Mod issue Reply with quote

Pirate wrote:
You didn't put that pirate roulette thing in there did you? It worked just fine but after I was done I found all my bags packed and sitting in my driveway. :)
Well, there are only two things you can do: get yourself another ruby ring, or sack the 'town' and install a new governor!
Roland
Helmsman

22526 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mod issue Reply with quote

AdamMil wrote:
Pirate wrote:
You didn't put that pirate roulette thing in there did you? It worked just fine but after I was done I found all my bags packed and sitting in my driveway. Smile
Well, there are only two things you can do: get yourself another ruby ring, or sack the 'town' and install a new governor!

This might be one of those rare instances when I would opt for the diamond necklace!
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh heck I'm sailing in the East Indies at the moment. Picking up another girl should be simple as done as long as I still got a gold doubloon or two to spend. Smile
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated the exe to fix a mistake I made (removing double damage to full sails).

Download: http://www.adammil.net/files/121/CannonballMod.zip
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: