Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

realistic cannonball speeds
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens when you run out of greek letters?
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Teague wrote:
What happens when you run out of greek letters?
I'd have to give up coding if that happened, so hopefully it won't. Though I don't plan any more changes to this mod unless people give suggestions for improvement. (Although I actually just updated the gamma .zip with some minor improvements...)

Now I'm going to implement my happiness and aging mods and test everything out together to see if the game is still fun. :-)
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the aging mod? That sounds interesting.
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Teague wrote:
What's the aging mod? That sounds interesting.
It's very simple. (In fact, it's already done. :-P) You age 25% slower. Seems ridiculous to be in "poor" health at age 32!

I'm also rewriting the happiness formula so you can't sail forever. I guess that one won't be popular. :-P
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not. I love gathering 200,000+ gold pieces in the 1st year insuring that I can sail the seas...forever.
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you must have a very trusting crew. "I know it's been 22 years since you came into my service, but don't worry, I'll give you your share of the loot real soon... trust me."
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed a bug in the gamma version that caused crew to be rapidly cut down to nothing when hit by a broadside. You should redownload it if you have an older version of gamma.

Damn typos. I need better tools so I don't have to repeatedly type long hex strings...
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Teague wrote:
I love gathering 200,000+ gold pieces in the 1st year
Also, that's a pretty amazing amount of gold for the first year. How do you do that? :-) On my best voyages I managed close to 200,000 but that was over the course of four years.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamMil wrote:
Captain Teague wrote:
I love gathering 200,000+ gold pieces in the 1st year
Also, that's a pretty amazing amount of gold for the first year. How do you do that? Smile On my best voyages I managed close to 200,000 but that was over the course of four years.

I make Montalbon my priority. I've played enough games I can usually find him with 1/4 of a map. As I search for him I raid enough cities (and therefore dance/rescue family) that I have at least one (sometimes (rarely) two) lost cities. So between Montalbon, the lost citie[s] and my plunder; by January 1, 1681 (I always start in 1680) I have around 200,000 gold pieces.
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamMil wrote:
Well, you must have a very trusting crew. "I know it's been 22 years since you came into my service, but don't worry, I'll give you your share of the loot real soon... trust me."

It sounds cynical, but I don't think your original crew lives that long. The turnover rate is high enough that by the time you've had a 22 year career most if not of your original 40 or so crew are dead.
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Teague wrote:
It sounds cynical, but I don't think your original crew lives that long. The turnover rate is high enough that by the time you've had a 22 year career most if not of your original 40 or so crew are dead.
Yeah, I've thought the same. Clever, put the oldest guys on the front lines so they die before they realize you've been ripping them off. :-) I actually refused to play on Swashbuckler in part because I thought taking a 50% cut was a crappy deal for the crew. :-P

I wonder if Montalban is a bit too difficult with my cannonball mod. I haven't been able to beat him, although I haven't put much effort into it either. But that flag galleon is no pushover. I think you've gotta rush in and board him, but then you're facing his 250-man crew... and if you want to win that you need a large crew of your own, which precludes using a ship that's very nimble. Either that, or really use the wind to your advantage to stay behind him.

If it turns out to be really challenging, I'll probably mod it so that you get all four pieces of the map at once upon beating the evil villains. Kind of silly that you don't force Raymondo to give you the whole thing anyway...

But I'd like if some experienced players could give it a try and let me know if it's unreasonably difficult. Forums seem rather quiet, though... I guess I'm 10 years late to the party. :-|
Captain Teague
Rigger

12207 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamMil wrote:
Captain Teague wrote:
Yeah, I've thought the same. Clever, put the oldest guys on the front lines so they die before they realize you've been ripping them off. Smile I actually refused to play on Swashbuckler in part because I thought taking a 50% cut was a crappy deal for the crew. Razz

I wonder if Montalban is a bit too difficult with my cannonball mod. I haven't been able to beat him, although I haven't put much effort into it either. But that flag galleon is no pushover. I think you've gotta rush in and board him, but then you're facing his 250-man crew... and if you want to win that you need a large crew of your own, which precludes using a ship that's very nimble. Either that, or really use the wind to your advantage to stay behind him.

If it turns out to be really challenging, I'll probably mod it so that you get all four pieces of the map at once upon beating the evil villains. Kind of silly that you don't force Raymondo to give you the whole thing anyway...

But I'd like if some experienced players could give it a try and let me know if it's unreasonably difficult. Forums seem rather quiet, though... I guess I'm 10 years late to the party. Neutral

I too feel I'm tardy to the party. I loved the game, I just was't I just wasn't internet savvy. I consider myself....no, I am an experienced player. I'll try it tonight and let you know.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:11 am    Post subject: Sorry Reply with quote

I am very interested in trying this mod out. I been messing around in the East Indies which as you can imagine has different city locations and such edited in the Pirates!exe. My plan is try this out and if I like it I will reedit a copy of this for the East indies as well. My guess would be though that Montalban would certainly tougher using this mod. He is a very skillful Arse when he has a good size crew with him. Another thing is the Flag Gallon is pretty much made to dual it out with you out in the open waters so its possible this will leave some folks sunk even before they have a chance to duke it out with Montalban in the sword fight. The advantages Montalban has over you would certainly increase no doubt.
AdamMil
Cutthroat

4747 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I found Montalban wasn't too tough on Adventurer, anyway. I took off his mast twice in a row with my royal sloop (but took quite a bit of damage in the process). I don't recommend making the naval battle any longer than you have to unless you can stay away from those big guns.

But he blasted me out of the water twice on Rogue in a previous game. :-P I wasn't trying very hard then, but still.

Anyway, it's fun. It definitely matters which direction you attack from relative to the wind.
Pirate
Helmsman

109543 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject: I tried it! I tried it! Reply with quote

Well Ladis and wenches, sailers and cutthroughts I gave this mod a little spin not long ago. I had a save game file of Montalban so you can imagine a idiot like me would try something new like this out on Montalban first. Since I have only tried it out the one time I can see a better review would come after you played the game for some time useing this mod. I mean we all get use to playing a game and know what to expect but when you make changes this big there is going to be a learning curve to go along with it. Kinda like playing a new game altogether if you know what I mean. My story with Montalban coming to a theater near you. HA! Ok this is what happen. Since I never played it using this mod I was amazed buy how fast those cannonballs were coming. Just couldn't resist the urge to unleash some of my own but found out I was missing more than the norm and he was hitting me pretty regular me. I was in a frigate so I think I could have sailed in on him for boarding but I was trying to get the feel of the fight with the cannon speeds so he shot me all to _ _ll so me and some 180 bunch of no goods became shark food so to speak. I reloaded the game again but this time ole Montalban got his ship hung up on a a reef so I sailed in and boarded him. This time I took my sword and carved the old fart a new _ _ _ _ ole.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Customization & Modding All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: