Shop  •   Avatar  •   FAQ  •   Search  •   Memberlist  •   Usergroups  •   Profile  •   Log in to check private messages  •   Log in  •  Register 

HoP's 1st Official Regatta! Rules and Requirements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: HoP's 1st Official Regatta! Rules and Requirements Reply with quote

The Regatta: Relaxed Sailing - Rabid Pirate

The Cutlass Isle Regattas promise to become a very popular and well-contested feature over the course of the coming years. Each yearly quarter (three month period) will bring a different race with a different course. By racing season's end, an overall champion will be found based on who wins the most. If one particular winner doesn't rise from the ranks, then a champion won't be found, eh? The regattas will be divided into two competitive classes.

The first, and easiest class of race is the Relaxed Sailing Race. The competitors begin with a well-established skipper and crew, with a fully-rigged sloop of war. The Rabid Pirate Race is a little tougher. In the Pirate's Sunset era, (1680) these racers must first capture a royal sloop, rig it any way they see fit,then complete the course.

The courses will have six-waypoints, and the same course will be used for both classes of each race. Racers will sail to each waypoint in succession, entering each port so their entry appears in the their logs. Each point must be visited in order. The one who completes the course first, as proven by log entries, wins.

Relaxed Sailing: You are a 62-year old, well-seasoned, witty and charming Dutch merchant whose career is coming to an end as the year 1704 approaches. As a gesture of bravado (largely due to some betting that occured during a drunken night in Trinidad) you have traded-in your merchant fleet for a fully-rigged sloop of war. You have 100 in crew and ten guns, (which you don't expect to need for this adventure.) You can carry almost a year's worth of stores, and you're holding well over 700,000 in gold, so your crew's happiness will not be in question. Should you need them, however, you also have a good barometer and a concertina for your crew's entertainment pleasure. To make things even better, you have the best staff officers in the Caribbean, including a grouchy member of Spanish royalty as your cabin boy.

Rabid Pirate: One thing you may like about this race is there are no rules but to complete the course in the order of the set waypoints - in a royal sloop. You begin in the Pirate's Sunset era, (1680). It may take some time to find the appropriate class of ship, so cleverness is a must. It may take some thievin' and freebootin' to keep your crew happy, seein' as how you're starting young, but poor. However you choose to make your way around the course is your problem. You can fight your way around, or try to make it in one shot, hoping your crew doesn't desert you should you need to stop for resupply. Oh yeah, not that pirates ain't TRUSTWORTHY, you MUST enter, then exit Trinidad to begin your race. We'd like to be comfortable with the thought you actually began there!

This quarter's inaugural race will run from outside Trinidad. The first waypoint is Maracaibo, then on to Port Royal, over to Villa Hermosa, northeast to Nassau then to San Juan and finishing in Trinidad. A map, including the slot file to begin the Relaxed Sailing Race is in a zip file at http://www.cambio.net/regatta.zip which should be saved to your desktop, then opened. Copy, or drag, the slot15 file to My Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Pirates! Then, boot your game, and load slot 15.

To register your results with the judge, e-mail your slot15 file (be sure to save the win on slot15) to:
airsaw@comcast.net
Your log must be inspected by the judge in order to claim your prize.
PRIZES - Rabid Pirate

1st Place - 3,000 gold
    2nd Place - 2,000 gold
    3rd Place - 1,000 gold
    4th Place - Free barnacle removal

PRIZES - Relaxed Sailing

1st Place - 2,000 gold
    2nd Place - 1,000 gold
    3rd Place - 700 gold
    4th Place - A look at the governor's mansion

Let's see...WHO'S the better SAILOR, EH?
Swabbie

10277 Gold -

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in on this one! Rabid Pirate all the way Smile
Stryker1sf
Powder Monkey

709 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea when the results will be announced and the next one started? Not that I'm counting on winning or anything (I joined just in time for the contest to end) but an estimated timetable would be appreciated.
Airsaw
Rigger

3281 Gold -

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, well. I've just gotten over a bout with bronchitis. I know The Don has an entry, and I've not heard from him. Other than this, I only have two entries to judge. You may do better than you thought.
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: